• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Barnhardt Returning To USF Football

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  151
  • Content Count:  2,719
  • Days Won:  0

Yes, it is.

I wonder if that was the same position we were holding for Blackwell before he decided to go to the CFL.

That's what I was thinking Howie.  Either person is a good choice.  Glad to see USF players coming back to help out the new guys.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

He's also going to pursue a Master's degree:

Published Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Barnhardt To Leave Lake Wales Football

By Roy Fuoco

The Ledger

LAKE WALES -- Chad Barnhardt always had the goal of trying to get into coaching at the college level at some time in his career. That time is now.

On Monday, Barnhardt announced that he has resigned as Lake Wales' football coach. He is headed to the University of South Florida to be a graduate assistant and pursue his master's degree.

Barnhardt will work with the offense and likely work with quarterbacks and receivers. "I always had that goal to get into college coaching," he said. "This is a step in that direction."

Barnhardt, 29, accepted the offer last week. "Chad has been a great coach at Lake Wales and had a lot of community support," Lake Wales athletic director Ann McCarty said.

Lake Wales principal Clark Berry has named Marvin Pavy as the interim head coach for spring practice, which begins May 1. Pavy, a dean at Lake Wales, has been an assistant coach at Lake Wales under Barnhardt and former coach Rod Shafer.

Barnhardt, a 1994 graduate of Lake Wales, was the head football coach for three years and compiled a 14-17 record. The Highlanders were district runners-up in 2003 and went 5-4 last season. As a starting quarterback at Lake Wales, Barnhardt led the Highlanders to a 24-2 record during his junior and senior years and to the state championship game in 1993. He was drafted by the Boston Red Sox in 1994 and played rookie ball before heading to college.

Barnhardt spent two years at South Carolina before transferring to South Florida where he was the Bulls' first starting quarterback.

http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050426/NEWS/504260383/1002/SPORTS

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

hopefully he will grow into a terrific college coach....

This(2005) may be Coach Smith's last season as QB Coach ... depending on how Chad works out.

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

This(2005) may be Coach Smith's last season as QB Coach ... depending on how Chad works out.

can he really be worse?  I never saw Chad play, what kind of QB was he, pocket, scrambler, gunslinger, etc?

can he really be worse?  I never saw Chad play, what kind of QB was he, pocket, scrambler, gunslinger, etc?

Doesn't matter, but he's a proven good coach ... we'll see if he translates it to the college ranks.

(More of a Pocket Guy, transfered from S. Carolina)

Go BULLS !!!

USF Bulls Career Passing Yards

Marquel Blackwell  9,108

Chad Barnhardt  4,138

Pat Julmiste  1,972

Ronnie Banks  1,960

Glen Gauntt  711

Kevin Patullo  180

Lance Hoeltke  155

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

The official release...

From the USF SID Office:

Former Bulls’ Quarterback Named to Football Staff

(April 26, 2005) Tampa, Fla. -- Chad Barnhadt, the first-ever starting quarterback in USF football history, has joined the Bulls’ football staff as a graduate assistant, head coach Jim Leavitt announced today. Barnhardt will work with the offense.

After transferring to USF from South Carolina, Barnhardt was the Bulls starter in 1997 and 1998, when he was 300 of 519 for 4,138 yards and 27 touchdowns. He was 12-9 in his 21 career starts with the Bulls.

Since graduating in 1999, Barnhardt has been a coach at Lake Wales (Fla.), his high school alma mater. For his first three years at the school he was the head baseball coach (he had signed a professional baseball contract out of high school) and an assistant football coach. In 2002, he gave up his baseball job to become head football coach, a position he held until accepting the USF job.

Gutsy guy, someone who believes in the program - a positive influence.

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267

I hope this isnt a stepping stone to move him to QB coach and promote Rod Smith to OC.

I hope this isnt a stepping stone to move him to QB coach and promote Rod Smith to OC.

;D

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

That vacancy has been open for a while, even before Hobbie resigned, so I don't think they are related.