• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Schaeffer may be headed to the Bulls

Guest wildrover

I can understand that you would prefer a player that chose us first or hasn't been in trouble, but trying to argue that this guy doesn't have skills because he got injured and Ainge replaced him, or because he's leaving UT simply makes any argument you make irrelevant.  Period.

Why is it irrelevant, cause you say so? Where would that power come from?  Besides, go look at my post, I never once said he doesn't have skills.  I know he has skills and I also know he became second fiddle because of his injury.  That alone can incredibily devalue an athlete.  Look at the draft, how many guys got passed over or slid down the charts cause they have proven to be injury prone?  I think the fact that Ainge replaced him means he's not as good as everyone says (which is understandable, the way some people here talk, you'd think he was Johnny U, M Vick, Peyton manning and Danny M all rolled into one, tough shoes to fill no matter who you are).  If was the best UT would have kept him period.  If UT is letting him go cause they are trying to clean up their act and people's perception of their team than so goes the argument of college football being a business and the only thing that matters is winning.  You can't have it both ways.  You say Hill and GRothe are unproven but how proven is Schaffer after his inury, if he was good enough to be a starter before the injury but isn't now then he must of lost something and the Schaffer that is being so coveted isn't the same Schaeffer that decided agaisnt us.  If he is just as good as before the inujury than he still should be better than Ainge, if thats the case than why isn't he starting?  If he is still as good and not starting and UT is letting him go to another team he must be something of a problem, enough of a problem that they dont want to give him a second chance.  Why should we?  

I think this all boils down to, people could care less about this kid, who he is, what he's about and what kind of perception and problems he has for himself off the field.  Just so long as he can help the team win, thats all thats important, everything else is somebody elses problem.  If thats how you feel than so be it, I happen to disagree.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267
  • Days Won:  0

Adrian McPherson was probably a different scenario because the kid obviously had bigger issues than just getting into a fight.  So there are some situations that don't warrant accepting incredible talent... but the Brent Schaeffer situation is not a big deal, comparatively.

AD was differant because he ran into problems with NCAA eligability.  He was planning on enrolling here and hoping to sit out a year and play for us, but he was told that the NCAA would have to make a determination as to wheather or not he was eligible to compete in collegiate sports.  Suddenly the talks of enrolling here stopped and he joins the Arena league.  Someone must have told him the NCAA would not side with him.  Otherwise I think he would have been a Bull as well.  

What a difference a year makes.  Last year we had one of the worst QB situations in 1A, now we are talking about turning one of the best Florida QB prospects in years.  These are the kind of "problems" I can deal with

;D

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334
  • Days Won:  0

When push comes to shove, he's another player.  We'll take him if he comes here, and we'll see just how skilled he is or isn't.  His legal trouble is not severe and he has served some punishment for it already.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I say, if he wants to come here, bring him in.  You can never have too many arms.  He would have to sit out a year and during that time, if he doesn't get in trouble, you know he's learned from his mistakes.  And he'd make one heck of a scout team QB.  I see it as win-win.

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

In the end, it doesn't even matter what we think.  We all know CJL is a smart football man - he will take BS in a second.  There are benefits to taking him, but also serious risks.  His talent aside, taking him keeps him out of the greasy hands of the gnats, who are a very viable option for the kid if we pass.  If they get him it could mean serious problems for us not only when we play them, but also by the impact he would have on their overall program.  They would abbsolutely blow up.  It would be another Daunte Culpepper era in orlando.

If we do take him I would bet that Hill transfers out and Grothe redshirts.  What if Schaeffer gets injured (which he has a history of), gets in trouble (which he has a history of), or doesn't make grades/attend class (which he has a history of).   We lose a stud who wanted to be here from the beginning, while the other is redshirting, and we're stuck again with PJ.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

how are we stuck with PJ?  Schaeffer has to sit out a year anyway... if grothe was to red shirt... it would be this year or not at all.  So we'd have denson and grothe and schaeffer in 2006 and julmiste playing backup tight end.

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

OK so we would have Grothe (if HE stays which is no guarantee either).  However as stated previously, he is an unproven commodity.  As for Denson, if he isn't already blowing past PJ I would have a hard time putting much stock in him.  (Unless he really is that much better than PJ and coach just isn't saying so.)  At any rate we'll be OK in the long run but bringing him in does not come without a price.