• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Schaeffer may be headed to the Bulls

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,148
  • Content Count:  6,502
  • Days Won:  0

Then let's get him.  Good enough reason for me...just didn't want him to be fighting cause someone called him a pansy....

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

My whole thing is, is that we are his SECOND pick. He does not have the heart for the Bulls, like the others have. It seems this kid has an ego problem. We've had enough of ego's on the team. It is time to start playing TEAM. I think if he gets in the mix, we might lose some or one of the recruits we have heralded and coddled. It might end up a disaster. I am tired of being a second choice school for rejects of other programs, due to dicipline problems. I just am still out on this one if it happens.    Reaper

Well, he did have a lot of great things to say about USF despite the ridicule he was taking for seriously considering us. I can't really blame him after all he did get to start as a Freshman there which he probably wouldn't have done here.

Here is what HE wrote at the time of his visit:

USF impresses star QB Schaeffer

This recruiting season, Deerfield Beach's star quarterback, Brent Schaeffer, will be providing first-person accounts from his official visits to five schools that top his list, leading up to National Signing Day on Feb. 4. These reflections will run on the Thursday after each visit. On Jan. 9, Schaeffer visited the University of South Florida.

By Brent Schaeffer  

Special Correspondent  

Posted January 15 2004  

In the process of narrowing my list to five schools, I tried to pick schools that I would be most comfortable at on and off the field.

When most people look at the list of schools I'm visiting and see South Florida, they might think it's a typo.

I have been told South Florida shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence with schools such as Tennessee, Auburn, Kansas State and N.C. State.

I think USF is just a few ingredients away from being as prestigious as the other big-name schools. A year ago, I didn't even know where South Florida was. Now I am considering going there. They are one of the fastest-growing programs in the country, and in just a matter of time I think they will be in the hunt for a national championship with the right talent.

Other highly recruited players from Florida are starting to think so, too.

This past weekend was USF's biggest recruiting weekend ever. Some of the best players from the state joined me on this visit, and they're ones who are considering big schools like UF, FSU and UM.

South Florida's (eventual) move to the Big East is probably the main reason that it is getting these big recruits. That move will get them on TV more and give them a chance at a BCS bowl and a national championship.

A lot of people are skeptical about the Big East because three good teams left for the ACC. That might be an upside, though. Teams in conferences like the ACC and SEC beat up on each other every week and are tired by the end of the season when national championship time comes around.

When I visited South Florida, my host the first day was former USF quarterback Marquel Blackwell. He signed with the Jets earlier this year.

He was very successful during his four-year career at South Florida, and many people believe he set the foundation for USF football. He put them where they are now, and they are looking for the same type of quarterback to lead them to a national title.

He explained that there will be competition anywhere you go, but the difference is that there are favorites. Schools have their list of players they want most, and just like me, he was No. 1 on South Florida's list.

If two quarterbacks come to a school, the one the school really wanted is probably going to have the edge. I got a taste of that when I went to the California-Florida Bowl. The coaches were from North Florida and they had their favorites from day one.

The second day at USF, I was with two hosts. They took me around Tampa and showed me everything. I had a good time, especially because I was with my teammate, defensive lineman Emmanuel Dunbar.

The Bulls are going into the Big East with style because they are almost done building a $30 million football facility. We went inside even though it is under construction. I like the home field at Raymond James Stadium, which they share with the Bucs.

My family would see me play in that stadium a lot because Tampa is only about a three-hour drive. That is another thing on my mind; I'd like to be able to look up and see my family at the game. They also would enjoy coming to see me play.

On the last day of my visit to USF, I had a long talk with coach Jim Leavitt. He urged me to commit so other recruits would.

Most coaches try to convince me to commit early for that reason.

You start to feel pressured when coaches ask you that. But I don't want to rush my decision. I enjoyed my visit at USF, but these visits are starting to get tiring. Hopefully, I still have enough enthusiasm for my final two visits.

Schaeffer's schedule of visits: Friday (Auburn); Jan. 23 (North Carolina State).

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Of course we take this guy....after seeing the production from our QB position the past few years, I find myself wishing we had allowed A McPherson to transfer here after seeing all his recent hype in the upcoming draft.

Why are some of us too proud to take an obvious talent because he chose UT over us? I mean come on, yes, we are all proud to be Bulls, but to begrudge a kid for chosing to play for a National contender over a school that was at the time in Conf-USA?? We should welcome a talent like his with open arms, so long as he gets his issues squared away.

exactly...

the fact that we were his 2nd choice is still incredible.  Oh no.. one of the best QB's to come out of the state in ages came down to a school with national championships and upstart south florida, chose the bigger name, but now wants us.  That is such an insult to us.... we are his 2nd choice... whoa is us....

NOT!

We are his 2nd choice and that is great!  First would have been better for us, and for him, but we are not a better program than UT... as much as we like to think so... so put the egos aside if he comes here because he is so good, its sickening!

• Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691

Well, he did have a lot of great things to say about USF despite the ridicule he was taking for seriously considering us. I can't really blame him after all he did get to start as a Freshman there which he probably wouldn't have done here.

Is that a joke?

You think PJ or RB would have beat him out last yr.....please.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  76

lost in all of his legal troubles, the reason schaeffer started ahead of ainge was because he outworked him during camp and because he picked up the offense faster, the staff was raving about his work ethic and enthusiasm. also according to the ut rivals board he was more impressive of the two this spring before the altercation. the scrutiny of the small town media and pressure to change positions was getting to him and he snapped, the move closer to home and playing in tampa instead of knoxville will help this kid. he believes usf is building something good, and he didn't back down when people questioned his choice, its a no brainer that we take this kid.

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

out- 3yrs denson       senior 07

4 yrs HILL                  senior 08

out- 3 yrs  Schaefer   senior 08

RS-4yrs Grote             senior 09

we would be set at qb until 09 with good competition and solid backups

and now you could bring a new guy in every year starting in 2006 and expect time to groom him to start in junior /senior year.

take scheaffer in a heart beat if he does well great, if he bombs we have talent so not a huge loss.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

Could also have something to do with 11 UT players arrested since Feb.  After all they don't want a bad reputation like Cinci in BB.

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

Man, I cant believe that some of you would actually pass on Schaeffer.  The guy started as a true freshman at UT, and watching that game, looked pretty **** impressive. I would be extremely excited if we were able to land Schaeffer.  If Miami isnt to big to take a transfer from UF, then we sure the hell aint to big to take a transfer from UT.  

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

Is that a joke?

You think PJ or RB would have beat him out last yr.....please.

If I was the coach he would have started, but I doubt Leavitt would have started him because he values experience too much and has never started a true Freshman as QB.

• Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691

True....but he never had the a freshman qb as talented as schaeffer and couple that with the lack of talent between RB & PJ and I think he would have started for us lasy yr.

It is all a moot point at this juncture.....