• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Defense dominates in Green-White game

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  919
  • Days Won:  0

ET, I see a difference between USF's situation and Tennessee's last year.  Without knowing all the details, my guess is Fulmer narrowed it down quickly to the 2 stud Freshmen Ainge and Shaeffer, and worked both with the first team in the Fall.  They had no returning starter.

USF already has 2 QB's in the mix in PJ and Denson.  I just don't see enough reps for Grothe and Hill to emerge this year.  No QB except PJ has any experience with the offense.  Denson ran the scout team last year.  Even so, I think he is the only legitimate shot at starter.  Redshirt Grothe - he is the future.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267

I don't see anyone making mention of PJ's hurt shoulder except CJL.

So Jake what is your explanation of why he sucked in the 16 starts he made over the past 2 seasons?  Next excuse please.

Same old PJ, to quote Meatloaf, "There ain't no Coupe Deville hiding at the bottom of a Cracker Jack box."  What does that mean, it means Julsmiste is what he is, a bad QB.  He is not going to go from a terrible QB to our offensive savior during this offseason.  And anyone who was holding out for that to happen can let that dream go after seeing his performance at the spring game.  

As I have said before, I would rather lose games this coming season with Denson, Grothe, or Hill at the helm because they are the future and at least they will be getting some game experience they can use and improve upon, and maybe next season everything will click in the offseason and will turn into the QB we have been waiting for.  PJ has been in that situation for the past 2 offseasons and has not improved, and after Saturday it is obvious he is not going to, so why keep on going with him?  It doesnt make sense.

Spence, we all know PJ has been inconsistent the past 2 years.  He was not a highly rated QB out of HS and was learning on the job.  If USF had landed any QB recruits they went after, PJ wouldn't have been forced into a starting position.

With that said, he is our most experienced QB and may have improved in the last year.  I'm just saying that you can't judge anything by the Spring game, for all the reasons I gave before.  If PJ can't get it done in the Fall, then let Denson have a shot.  But give PJ a chance to show what he can do this Fall.

PJ may be more experienced but he is FAR from the most talented.  So you are saying experience should trump talent?  Why is that?  If you can convince me Julmiste's "experience" is going to help lead us to victories this coming season I would agree it would make sense to put in the experienced QB but that clearly is not the case.  We are not going to have a great season no matter who starts, so why waste the time putting him in when we can start getting experience to the talented players?

Look at it this way, Say we go 4-7 this season.  Would you rather go 4-7 with Julmiste at QB or go 4-7 with one of the other 3 at QB?  Because short of a miracle that is about where we are going to be at this year, maybe we can pull off 5-6, or pull a big upset against a Louisville, WVU, or Pitt and go 6-5. But if we can pull off a couple of upsets it will be because of a team effort, not because of the experience PJ brings to the table.  It makes no sense to start PJ, it is time to move on.  

If we start Hill, Grothe, or Denson instead of PJ he will have 4 games under his belt going into the Big East opener.  And most likely whomever starts our record going into the Louisville game will be 2-2 will losses against Penn State and Miami, and wins against UCF and FAMU.  Now you cannot tell me that any of those 3 starters after playing those 4 games would not be as effective a quarterback as PJ would have been if he had started going into Big East play.  Of course they would.  Move PJ to another positions NOW while you can, and try to utilize his athletic ability.

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  743
  • Days Won:  1

PJ may be more experienced but he is FAR from the most talented.  So you are saying experience should trump talent?  Why is that?  If you can convince me Julmiste's "experience" is going to help lead us to victories this coming season I would agree it would make sense to put in the experienced QB but that clearly is not the case.  We are not going to have a great season no matter who starts, so why waste the time putting him in when we can start getting experience to the talented players?

Look at it this way, Say we go 4-7 this season.  Would you rather go 4-7 with Julmiste at QB or go 4-7 with one of the other 3 at QB?  Because short of a miracle that is about where we are going to be at this year, maybe we can pull off 5-6, or pull a big upset against a Louisville, WVU, or Pitt and go 6-5. But if we can pull off a couple of upsets it will be because of a team effort, not because of the experience PJ brings to the table.  It makes no sense to start PJ, it is time to move on.

If we start Hill, Grothe, or Denson instead of PJ he will have 4 games under his belt going into the Big East opener.  And most likely whomever starts our record going into the Louisville game will be 2-2 will losses against Penn State and Miami, and wins against UCF and FAMU.  Now you cannot tell me that any of those 3 starters after playing those 4 games would not be as effective a quarterback as PJ would have been if he had started going into Big East play.  Of course they would.  Move PJ to another positions NOW while you can, and try to utilize his athletic ability.

So with PJ at the helm

if we win, it is a team effort

if we lose, it is all down to him?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

Well, I say the replay last night ...

QB's were very bad  :P PJ was the same and #12 "pushes" his passes ...

Glad to see # 50 play well inside ... JJ #91 uses his arms well ... we won't see a drop when Jones and Royals leave after 2005 ... LB's looked good, especially when 2 probable starters(2 Deep 4 sure) were out ... Hall will be the man, but Ponton will keep it going when #2 is out ... JP caught somne nice balls, but too many drops by WR's

Spence, of course the best QB should play and not just reward experience over talent.  

The reality is that we have 1 experienced QB in PJ.  

Denson has gone through one injury plagued Spring practice.  He didn't learn the offense last year while running the scout team.

Grothe and Hill will have 1 Fall practice with limited reps with the first team.

Common sense says PJ will be the man.  Any of the other 3 will be learning on the job, just as PJ has done the last 2 years.  PJ gives us the best chance to win early next year, there is no doubt about that in my mind.  

If Denson stays healthy, he should see scripted, limited action.  If PJ doesn't perform well, then Denson should get more game time.  Based on Leavitt's comments, I expect Denson will be the starter by game 4 or 5.  I think PJ must shine to hold onto the starting job for the season.  But write it down, PJ will start against Penn State.

So with PJ at the helm

if we win, it is a team effort

if we lose, it is all down to him?

You missed the entire point.  Jake is stating that we have the best chance to win with PJ based only on the fact that he has experience in the system.  I was making the point the experience is only worth anything if it translates into production on the field.  

ex-pe-ri-ence

1. The apprehension of an object, thought, or emotion through the senses or mind: a child's first experience of snow.

1. Active participation in events or activities, leading to the accumulation of knowledge or skill: a lesson taught by experience; a carpenter with experience in roof repair.

2. The knowledge or skill so derived.

1. An event or a series of events participated in or lived through.

2. The totality of such events in the past of an individual or group

OK lets break this down. " Active participation in events or activities..."  alright, PJ has participated in events or activities so he meets this requirement.  

Now, "leading to the accumulation of knowledge or skill: a lesson taught by experience" the second part of the definition (the most important part).  PJ has clearly not used his participation in "events or activities" to accumulate knowledge or skill, this can clearly be seen just by watching him play.  No accumulation of skills whatsover, he makes the same mistakes time after time.  Which leads me to "a lesson taught by experience, as I said in the 16 starts he made with the exception of one or 2 games as Bien pointed out in another thread, ie the TCU game, PJ has not been taught any lessons through his experience or "participation in events or activities" so what exactly does his so called "experience" bring to the table this season?  And why should that make him the clear front runner for the starting job as Jake states?  

If this were the real world, and you were working at a job say at Burger King, and they hired you because you had experience in fast food in the past, would that keep them from firing you because you are horrible at the job?  

"Well we really can't get rid of him he has experience"

"Yeah, but he started a grease fire and nearly burned the building down"

"I know, but he does have that experience, what are ya gonna do?"  

You missed the entire point.  Jake is stating that we have the best chance to win with PJ based only on the fact that he has experience in the system.  I was making the point the experience is only worth anything if it translates into production on the field.  

ex-pe-ri-ence

1. The apprehension of an object, thought, or emotion through the senses or mind: a child's first experience of snow.

1. Active participation in events or activities, leading to the accumulation of knowledge or skill: a lesson taught by experience; a carpenter with experience in roof repair.

2. The knowledge or skill so derived.

1. An event or a series of events participated in or lived through.

2. The totality of such events in the past of an individual or group

OK lets break this down. " Active participation in events or activities..."  alright, PJ has participated in events or activities so he meets this requirement.  

Now, "leading to the accumulation of knowledge or skill: a lesson taught by experience" the second part of the definition (the most important part).  PJ has clearly not used his participation in "events or activities" to accumulate knowledge or skill, this can clearly be seen just by watching him play.  No accumulation of skills whatsover, he makes the same mistakes time after time.  Which leads me to "a lesson taught by experience, as I said in the 16 starts he made with the exception of one or 2 games as Bien pointed out in another thread, ie the TCU game, PJ has not been taught any lessons through his experience or "participation in events or activities" so what exactly does his so called "experience" bring to the table this season?  And why should that make him the clear front runner for the starting job as Jake states?  

If this were the real world, and you were working at a job say at Burger King, and they hired you because you had experience in fast food in the past, would that keep them from firing you because you are horrible at the job?  

"Well we really can't get rid of him he has experience"

"Yeah, but he started a grease fire and nearly burned the building down"

"I know, but he does have that experience, what are ya gonna do?"  

If you think any of the other 3 QB's give us a better chance than PJ to win at Penn State, then you are sorely mistaken.