• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Defense dominates in Green-White game

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

Published Saturday, April 16, 2005

The Associated Press

TAMPA, Fla.

Danny Verpaele and Drametrice Smith had key fourth-quarter interceptions, leading the Green team past the White squad 14-7 in South Florida's spring game on Saturday night.

Verpaele intercepted backup quarterback Anthony Severino's pass and retuned it 36 yards for a game-tying touchdown with 4:53 left. Smith picked off a pass on the next possession, setting up Ed Louis' one-yard touchdown run with 1:13 remaining.

South Florida will make its debut in the Big East conference this season. The Bulls had been a member of Conference USA.

Quarterback Pat Julmiste went 5-for-18 for 40 yards for the Green team. He rushed 10 times for 32 yards. Julmiste completed 118 of 247 passes for 1,570 yards and seven touchdowns last season.

Andre Hall scored the lone first half touchdown, scoring from two-yards out on a fourth-down play that put the White up 7-0 with 7:21 left in the first quarter. He finished with six carries for 22 yards.

Hall was the Bulls' leading rusher last season, gaining 1,357 yards on 210 carries.

Severino went 11-for-34 for 133 yards. He threw three interceptions, including Verpaele's second on the game's final play.

Quarterback Courtney Denson, a transfer from Auburn, didn't play because of a left ankle injury.

The announced attendance was 3,800.

http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050416/APS/504161020

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

Personally, I thought more of Severino than PJ watching the Spring game, but then again I didn't expect much from him to begin with.

I don't know how good Denson or Hill will be, but my money is on Grothe to be our QB.

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

I still say it will be Denson...

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

Published Saturday, April 16, 2005

The Associated Press

TAMPA, Fla.

Danny Verpaele and Drametrice Smith had key fourth-quarter interceptions, leading the Green team past the White squad 14-7 in South Florida's spring game on Saturday night.

Verpaele intercepted backup quarterback Anthony Severino's pass and retuned it 36 yards for a game-tying touchdown with 4:53 left. Smith picked off a pass on the next possession, setting up Ed Louis' one-yard touchdown run with 1:13 remaining.

South Florida will make its debut in the Big East conference this season. The Bulls had been a member of Conference USA.

Quarterback Pat Julmiste went 5-for-18 for 40 yards for the Green team. He rushed 10 times for 32 yards. Julmiste completed 118 of 247 passes for 1,570 yards and seven touchdowns last season.

Andre Hall scored the lone first half touchdown, scoring from two-yards out on a fourth-down play that put the White up 7-0 with 7:21 left in the first quarter. He finished with six carries for 22 yards.

Hall was the Bulls' leading rusher last season, gaining 1,357 yards on 210 carries.

Severino went 11-for-34 for 133 yards. He threw three interceptions, including Verpaele's second on the game's final play.

Quarterback Courtney Denson, a transfer from Auburn, didn't play because of a left ankle injury.

The announced attendance was 3,800.

http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050416/APS/504161020

No mention of Andre's injury .... that's a good sign.

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,523
  • Days Won:  10

3800 is almost 4 times the attendance last year (1,100, I think).  A great crowd, but not much offensive excitement to get them fired up.  

Mike Steuben's merchandise table was incredibly busy.  If we'd been at the soccer stadium, USF would have been able to keep all the sales, but since it was at RayJay, the stadium gets a cut.

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267

Pat Julmiste went 5-for-18 for 40 yards

WOW!  Against a team half made up of 2nd and 3rd string players.  Unreal!  I cannot believe Denson is not way ahead of PJ at this point.  I am hoping CJL was just blowing smoke when he said no QB has pulled away from the pack, otherwise we are screwed.  If it is true however, we need to have Grothe and Hill go head to head this summer and go with the one that stands out.

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  919

You guys are reading WAY too much into this game.  PJ will be starting QB in the fall and the offense will be fine.

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,744
  • Days Won:  17

You guys are reading WAY too much into this game.  PJ will be starting QB in the fall and the offense will be fine.

Are you on Crack? PJ has been playing for nearly two seasons now and he shows no sign of improvement.  If he starts this fall I will be glad I am stuck in Iraq and can't see the games, because it will get ugly.

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  919

If you expect either of the 2 Freshmen to come in and get enough reps with the first team offense in the fall and earn the starting QB job, YOU are on crack.  Denson has a shot if he stays healthy.  The ankle injury in the spring really hurt his chances this fall IMO.  

It's all about reps with the first team in the Fall to polish and get ready for PSU.  Logic says that none of the other 3 will get enough work to unseat PJ.