• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Kudos to Sheffield

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691
  • Days Won:  0

Sheffield is a punk.  It was pretty clear there were no bad intentions.  

Sheffield should have have gotten the ball back in play and not looked to throw down with a fan - he's a no class punk - always has been.

Further reinforces my dislike for the Yankess and and new found admiration for the Sox and their fans.

call him a "punk" if you wish but what he did was justified.

He had no way of knowing the fan unintentionally swiped him in the face as he was looking down for the ball.

After the incedents that have occurred at white sox games players need to be on guard while on the field.

kudos to the security person who immediately jumped in the middle of the incident.

even bosox players agreed with sheffields actions.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The funniest part of the whole thing is just what you say bulliever... he delayed getting the ball in... and DAVID ORTIZ.. who runs a 8.50 second 40 yard dash scored from FIRST BASE!!!  

Sheffield has a monster arm and there is no way Ortiz should have scored from first.  He lost his cool and stopped thinking momentarily.  The bottom of the 9th, the yanks had the bases loaded (partly thanks to Sheff's good hitting), and had a chance to tie or even win.  That extra run (ortiz from first), COULD have been a huge play had the yanks put anything on the board.

he scores no matter what....the ball was bouncing around down there forever....and if the umps felt he wouldn't have scored then it would have been ruled a grounds rule double for interference.

There were 50 fans hanging over the wall, it just happened to be that one that possible "glanced" Sheffield.  I watched the game live and have not seen any proof that Sheffield was hit - even ESPN could not confirm that in the Baseball Tonight segment that followed.

MLB and its prisses can not have it both ways.  I saw Damon high-fiving all the fans after scoring the run in the bottom of the eigth inning...perhaps then he should be charged with assault and ejected.  He high fived them harder than this fan grazed Sheffield.

Sheffield's actions were more likely to start a scuffle than the fan's.  Had it not been for security, Sheffield likely would have started something.  Even with security there he refused to walk away.  It's a minor incident that an umpire could have called interfernece on.  Sheffield made it much more because he is a punk.

please don't compare high fiving fans to blatently interfering with the ball while it is in play. Before every baseball game they announce DON'T interfere with the play on the field or you WILL be ejected.

His initial reaction was to push off as he was swiped in the face while his eyes were facing the ground. After throwing the ball back he had his fist cocked. IF he would have swung I would say he was in the wrong but he didn't.

It was supposed to be - just as laughable as the fan entering the playing field with Sheffield.  Sheffield caught the ball, he should have thrown it in - perhaps saved a run - but no, he had to be a punk ( I guess he wanted his respect more than helping his team).  That's my point - 90% of the rest of baseball would have continued the play - but not Gary Sheffield because he has been a punk his entire life, why change now in the bottom of the eighth with the game on the line?  Cuz I'm Gary.

90%??

BOSTON - As the Red Sox watched Gary Sheffield confront a fan in the right field stands last night, several Boston players were struck by the same thought - what would I do if that were me in Sheffield's spikes?

Several players said they would've done the same thing. Some applauded Sheffield for not getting more violent. And others just didn't know how they would react.

But no one was blaming Sheffield for briefly tangling with a Sox fan in the eighth inning of Boston's 8-5 victory.

And another, Sox right fielder Trot Nixon, offered a simple solution for preventing the mayhem that always seems to stick to the rivalry - change the schedule so the teams don't play 19 times per season.

"Maybe the Red Sox and Yankees shouldn't play so much in the course of a year," Nixon said. "Maybe we should play the Central (Division) more.

"Maybe they should take beer out of the stadiums, too."

Numerous Sox players said they believed the fan was trying to hit Sheffield rather than attempting to scoop up a souvenir baseball, though manager Terry Francona said he didn't think the fan "was being at all malicious."

But, the manager added, "I understand Sheffield doesn't have time to think about it."

"Can I fault him? No," said closer Keith Foulke. "He's a competitor. We're going out there battling. We don't like to be interfered with. We're doing a job. Maybe I would've done the same thing."

Johnny Damon praised Sheffield for not going after the fan more. "He was definitely upset, but he restrained himself," Damon said.

Damon acknowledged that he's felt "like I wanted to go up and do something about it (with fans). Sometimes, even away from the park, they for whatever reason annoy you. As much as you'd like to, I've had to restrain myself. He did a great job restraining himself."

Nixon thought Sheffield should have avoided any contact with the fan. After the fan struck Sheffield, the Yankee right fielder threw a two-handed punch before throwing the ball back to the infield.

"Sheff, for his sake, for his health, shouldn't have gone over there," Nixon said. "You never know what could happen in the stands, not just ours, in any stands. ... Probably the smart thing to do is throw the ball back in and call time and go talk to the umpire. I'm not saying our fans are bad or that that fan was out of order."

A player CANNOT retaliate... he can defend himself from an attack.. .but THAT obviously wasn't the case.  Sheffield retaliated to what he thought was an intentional interferance.  I don't think he should be suspended... but a fine will likely come down from MLB.

My take is his head was down and he did not know the fan was trying for the ball. After throwing the ball back he yelled something at the fan....if my reading lips ability is any good the fan said i was trying for the ball. Shef at this point realized he was not under attack which is the same time the security arrived.

He should not be fined or suspended IMO

Sheffield had no right to consider starting a fight.  Most other professional players would have continued to play the game and ignored the interference.  

Last I checked the fan started all of this not the player end of story.

Ejecting or arresting a fan for reaching over a wall is ludicrous.  I love baseball and played for a long time.  If I had a seat on the wall, I am not sure I would contain myself.

Look at the guy that fell onto the tarp for a foul ball - did they eject him?  No.  Why?  Because he didn't make contact with a prima donna - that's why.

This argument is an MLB issue.  Can a player reach into the stands for a fly ball?  Yes.  All bets off then?  No.

The MLB is caught between trying to protect the prisses while not alienating the fans (as they seem to do more and more).

Bottom line is that it was a minor incident that an egomaniacal street punk in a nice uniform made into a bigger deal.

I think your opinion has a lot to do with your agnst against shef.

If someone interferes with the actions of the game especially by touching a player they should be ejected. he did not deserve to be arrested as i believe he was not trying to cause any harm.

After the game was over a fan jumped over the wall as the teams were exiting the field. Players said they were unsure what he was going to do...it turns out he was drunk and wanted to slide into home plate. However, cops had to tackle him as they didn't know why he was running onto the field. PLAIN & SIMPLE keep off the **** field.

Boston fans are lucks as their stadium is old and they are very close to the field. Enjoy it and heckle as much as you want just stay in your **** seats.....goes for any ball park or arena IMO.

This is a lot of fun....and let the truth be told - I am not a Red Sox fan....in that dog fight, I will root for the Sox, but I am not a fan.

"Onto" the field, and an arm in the realm of play are two different things...Fans that make their way onto the field are usually tackled and cuffed.  Fans that insert an arm or a finger into the realm or "into" the field of play do not typically get tackled and cuffed.

And find yourself a good lawsuit as well.

yes but the fans whose arms usually hag over even to grad a grounds rule double are taking a chance of getting ejected. especially if they touch a player.

I just watched baseball tonight... they showed it over and over... and there wasn't one view that showed contact for certain, but i'm not even saying there wasn't... just that i couldn't see any.  Even if the fan had intentions of decking sheffield... sheffield swung back... fine... then left tossed the ball, then came back.  It then becomes retaliation...which is wrong.  If he had done anything more... it would have been ALL his fault.

He should not have gotten back in the face of the fan.

ok but as you said IF he did anything more....he didn't so he is not in the wrong.

• Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

Holy cow, I started a monster of a thread.

Two words for you re:  Sheffield:

ROID RAGE.   ;D