• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

UCF likes options at running back

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,330
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

ssheader.gif

UCF likes options at running back

By Alan Schmadtke

Sentinel Staff Writer

April 3, 2005

Look around UCF's practice field, and you'll see there is no No. 4 anymore. Tailback Alex Haynes is gone, and the Golden Knights haven't assigned his old jersey number to anyone.

The Knights aren't sure who's going to replace their career-rushing leader. But they like their options.

Junior Dontavius Wilcox, a former Rockledge High standout who was Haynes' understudy for two seasons, has added 10 pounds in preparation for more carries and more pounding between the tackles. Junior college transfer Jason Peters has shown an ability to always fall forward when he gets tackled. And sophomore Curtis Francis continues to find cracks where seemingly none exists.

"We'll sort it out," UCF Coach George O'Leary said, "but I think we're going to be OK there as long as we don't get anybody hurt."

Haynes was one of the few bright spots in last season's 0-11 darkness. He gained 854 yards and finished his career with 3,356, passing Willie English as the top runner in the school's 26-year history.

Playing behind Haynes, Wilcox touched the football 122 times, 15 of those on receptions. Now he lines up as UCF's top runner.

"There's going to be some sort of rotation. That's what we're figuring out," said Wilcox, who has 391 yards and six touchdowns in two seasons. "I'm sure I'll get more playing time than before, but there's three of us and we're all pushing each other."

This spring marks the first time since 2000 that the Knights need an audition at running back. Haynes signed in 2000 to become the featured runner as a freshman. He redshirted that year because of academics but stepped in the next season as the starter -- a role he kept for four years.

UCF's offense has changed under O'Leary, and the Knights use more one-back sets than before. And while helpful, Wilcox's experience at UCF doesn't give him a pass to be the starter when the Knights come of out spring.

O'Leary sees Francis as a versatile back who might be most helpful on third down, but he's making enough runs in the spring to keep the competition keen.

Peters, a 6-foot-2, 230-pounder from Butte College (Calif.), is pushing as hard as he can. Coaches have noticed. "He's got a body, doesn't he?" O'Leary said as Peters walked by following a recent practice.

"Right now this is all happening pretty fast," said Peters, who was raised in Fort Lauderdale but moved to Seattle when he was 13. "We have some plays that have the same names as ones I had in junior college, but they're different plays. So I have to get those straight. But I feel pretty good about how it's going so far. It's nice being back in warm weather."

Unlike at quarterback, where O'Leary believes it imperative to have picked the starter during spring drills, tailback can be more fluid. If Wilcox, Peters and Francis keep pushing, it will be.

Meanwhile, the move of Chris Welsh from defensive end to linebacker hit a snag after Welsh broke a hand. "We have to be a little careful with him the rest of the way," O'Leary said.

Also missing is projected starting guard Dan Veenstra, who had non-football-related surgery just before spring. It is unclear when he'll return. Kyle Smith and Sean Gilhuly, from Winter Springs, have manned the guard slots.

Alan Schmadtke can be reached at aschmadtke@orlandosentinel.com.

Copyright © 2005, Orlando Sentinel

Story Link

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  81
  • Content Count:  2,239
  • Days Won:  0

On offense, UCF won't be half bad as long as they avoid the injury bug.  There are problems with depth in certain key positions.

• Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890

When it comes to UCF and the running game the big problem is that they can not stop the opponent’s running back

The D was too small.  This offseason focused on getting bigger guys on the defensive front seven.  I think we will all see some nice improvement in that area.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  118

DawgPound is right about the D being to small last year.  The UCF linebackers got a serious upgrade in the off season.  Chris Welsh was moved to SLB and is 6-4 245-250.  The current MLB for spring, Clarence Howard is 6-4 260.  Those are huge guys and from what I can see in practice they move pretty well.  We shall see how the game speed is though...

At runningback I am excited about Jason Peters.  He is 6-3 230 pounds and is a brusier.  His freshman year in JC he was rated the top JC freshman and led California in rushing yards.  He might develop into a good back this year and next.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Those are big LB's... you better hope you aren't sacrificing any speed for that size... or you are not going to stop the run any better on the edges... maybe up the middle.  

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  118

Those are big LB's... you better hope you aren't sacrificing any speed for that size... or you are not going to stop the run any better on the edges... maybe up the middle.  

Yes, they are very big and I share some of your thoughts regarding speed.  I hope they can bring decent speed also.  Our D ends have very good speed though with Paul Carrington, Glenroy Watkins, etc.  I hope the D ends can compensate for any possible speed loss.  Who knows, it is just spring, lets see what positions they play in August.

Towards the end of the year, Carrington really came into his own.  I was concerned he wouldn't pan out at DE, but he really came around.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  677

jason peters broke his foot today in practice.. hopefully it won t need surgery and he will be ready to go in the fall..