• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Williams Named AP All-America Honorable Mention

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

USF ATHLETICS 

GoUSFBulls.com

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

DATE: MARCH 28, 2016

Follow @USFAthletics On Twitter

Like USF Athletics on Facebook

Williams Named AP All-America Honorable Mention

TAMPA, MARCH 28, 2016  For the second time in Courtney Williams’ career, the senior guard was recognized by The Associated Press as an All-America Honorable Mention. Williams joins 26 others on the list, which was released Monday. Williams is the first Bull in program history to be named AP All-America Honorable Mention. 

UConn’s Breanna Stewart headlined the AP All-America First Team, and was joined by teammate Moriah Jefferson, Rachel Banham (Minnesota), Kelsey Mitchell (Ohio State) and A’ja Wilson (South Carolina). 

UConn's Morgan Tuck was on the second team, along with Nina Davis (Baylor), Brianna Turner (Notre Dame), Tiffany Mitchell (South Carolina) and Jamie Weisner (Oregon State).

The third team features Shatori Walker-Kimbrough (Maryland), Kelsey Plum (Washington), Brittney Martin (Oklahoma State), Jillian Alleyne (Oregon) and Aerial Powers (Michigan State).

Williams currently ranks ninth in Division I in points per game (22.4) and is second in the country with 308 field goals made. The preseason AP All-America Honorable Mention scored a new program-record 763 points, the only player in the American Athletic Conference to surpass the 700-point mark this season. Williams set the previous record (710 points) in the 2014-15 season as a junior. The guard set a new standard as the only Bull in program history to reach 2,000 points (2,304), 900 rebounds (931) and 300 assists (318). Williams scored in double figures in all but one game this season, recording 23 20-point contests and five 30-point games. 

Williams (Folkston, Ga.) set a new NCAA Tournament scoring record, leading the Bulls to the second round for the third time in program history. Williams set USF’s new NCAA tournament single-game scoring record with 31 points to power the sixth-seeded Bulls to a 48-45 win over No. 11 seed Colorado State in the first round. Williams scored 65 percent of her team’s points, also a new NCAA Tournament record. The previous mark belonged to Drake’s Lorri Bauman with 50 points in 1982, representing 64 percent of her team’s points. Sheryl Swoopes scored 47 points in 1997 and it was 56 percent of her team’s total.

Williams was a unanimous American Athletic Conference first-team honoree this season, and was the conference’s Scholar Athlete of the Year.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,523
  • Days Won:  10

Honorable Mention??  Really?

I'm sure she appreciates the honor, but I was really expecting more than that.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Yeah, I wonder how much of that was our team's overall performance. She's deserving of making at least the third or the second team when looking at the girls that made those teams IMO. Maybe a bit of a snub, but at least the conference recognized her accomplishments. There were a few really good guards out there this year.

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

5 minutes ago, raptorcj said:

Yeah, I wonder how much of that was our team's overall performance. She's deserving of making at least the third or the second team when looking at the girls that made those teams IMO. Maybe a bit of a snub, but at least the conference recognized her accomplishments. There were a few really good guards out there this year.

Agreed!

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  239

Definitely a snub. If she played at a bigger program they'd probably rank her higher

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574

17 hours ago, HOTbull19 said:

Definitely a snub. If she played at a bigger program they'd probably rank her higher

This is most likely true 

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Good job Courtney