• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Willie Taggart

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I guess I am tired of hearing about how Holtz left our program in shambles, and maybe he did. But just for argument sake, can you Holtz haters give one other reason why USF is 0-4 this year with embarrassing loses to McNeese and FAU?

our starting QB.
Based on play so far I would agree. However running play action on obvious passing downs has lead to many turnover. USF has run a very predictable offense and put the QBs is some very vulnerable spots. Yeah the offensive line is bad, but why contine to run 7 step play action passes if you know thy cannot block for that long. To me it falls on coaching, learn to coach what you have instead of asking players to buy into a system that needs a five star offensive line and NFL prospect at QB.
I get the whole learn to coach what you have philosophy. didn't seem like quick passes worked all that well last year after BJ got hurt. someimes if you polish a turd it's still just a turd.

not much you can do when your QBs average 148 yards per game with a 40% completion percentage and more picks than TDs.

The play calling is very predictable, run first two plays then pass on third. QB stats are going to be pretty bad if Everyone knows the game plan.

actually no great teams impose their will on their opponents. they don't have to resort to trickery.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  170
  • Days Won:  0

I guess I am tired of hearing about how Holtz left our program in shambles, and maybe he did. But just for argument sake, can you Holtz haters give one other reason why USF is 0-4 this year with embarrassing loses to McNeese and FAU?

our starting QB.
Based on play so far I would agree. However running play action on obvious passing downs has lead to many turnover. USF has run a very predictable offense and put the QBs is some very vulnerable spots. Yeah the offensive line is bad, but why contine to run 7 step play action passes if you know thy cannot block for that long. To me it falls on coaching, learn to coach what you have instead of asking players to buy into a system that needs a five star offensive line and NFL prospect at QB.
I get the whole learn to coach what you have philosophy. didn't seem like quick passes worked all that well last year after BJ got hurt. someimes if you polish a turd it's still just a turd.

not much you can do when your QBs average 148 yards per game with a 40% completion percentage and more picks than TDs.

The play calling is very predictable, run first two plays then pass on third. QB stats are going to be pretty bad if Everyone knows the game plan.

actually no great teams impose their will on their opponents. they don't have to resort to trickery.

If the talent is as bad as everyone is saying then Trickey might be a good idea.

Taggart's game plan is simple, run the ball then pass. If you can't run then the outcome is pretty predictable. Expect to lose if we cannot run, same feeling to have as a fan wen before the game starts.

Also predictability and trickery are not opposites. Just because you are unpredictable doesn't make you a Trickey team.

our starting QB.

If the talent is as bad as everyone is saying then Trickey might be a good idea.

Taggart's game plan is simple, run the ball then pass. If you can't run then the outcome is pretty predictable. Expect to lose if we cannot run, same feeling to have as a fan wen before the game starts.

Also predictability and trickery are not opposites. Just because you are unpredictable doesn't make you a Trickey team.

we can run though. problem is we can't pass.

why would you want to spread them out with a weak o-line and a system that requires precision passing?

• Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

There is no chance he'll be fired.  For one it wouldn't be fire but more importantly we couldn't afford it.  I think he needs to get this team headed in the right direction this year or we will see a tremendous drop in support next year.  But he probably could go 0-24 and not get fired.

If he goes 0-24 then there won't be a program left to fire him.

This year he gets a pass... next season he won't. If we don't improve to atleast .500 then I can guarantee that Taggart will be on his way out. If memory serves me right he has a 3 year contract, which should give him 3 years to proove himself. Hopefuly Woolard does not screw up again and give him an extension.

To answer the question... I don't think that Taggart can win with USF and I think we should had gone with another coaching candidate.

he has a 5 year contract.

Well heres to hoping that I'm wrong and Tag can pull it out of the ditch.

Going back to what I said... hopefully Woolard is not stupid enough to give Tag any extension, until he has put together consecutive bowl game seasons / AAC Championships.

Edited by Bubba Bull

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  170

our starting QB.

why would you want to spread them out with a weak o-line and a system that requires precision passing?

Best way to put it is I don't want the d-coordinator from the other team predicting our plays. Makes for a very crapy game and likely a loss.

our starting QB.

Best way to put it is I don't want the d-coordinator from the other team predicting our plays. Makes for a very crapy game and likely a loss.

it's kind of tough not to be predictable when you are one dimensional.

unfortunately every single team we play will load the box and try to force us to pass. lucky for us shaw is having a good year or it would be uglier.

it would be fantastic to not have to rely on run so much but you play the cards you're dealt.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516

Last year this board only wanted to blame the coaches and the players were free from the "stink".

It's a talent issue, a player execution issue, AND a coaching issues. The last two have been extremely poor. Does one play into it? Absolutely, but double digit losses to McNeese and FAU fall on the coaches as much as it falls on the talent, and execution.

you keep blaming coaches but you show no proof. are there better staffs out there? absolutely. can we afford them? not even close. do I think they could do much better with what we have? maybe a little better but not much.

just please tell me what the coaches could have done differently to change the outcome of those games when your hands are tied offensively and there are so many gift scores to the opponent.

we lost by double digits to mcneese state and fau because our QB play is atrocious. you can't turn the ball over for scores and expect to win especially when our QB play is so bad.

I've shown plenty of proof, you choose to ignore it. It's not worth it because you're one of maybe 5 people in this world who believe McNeese State has more talent than USF

you haven't shown any proof at all that those losses were caused by coaching errors.

you're naive enough to believe that a top 10 d 1-aa program, loaded with transfers from better 1-a programs, can't be more talented at crucial positions than a bottom of the barrel d 1-a program.

there are plenty of top 1-aa programs that are more talented football teams then we are. I bet north dakota state would beat close to half of all d-1a teams including kansas state who won the big 12 last year.

So... it wasn't Willie Taggart that chose Matt Floyd as our starting QB to start the season after seeing the kid couldn't even take a snap last season? Not to mention his 0 TD to 7 or 8 turnover ratio in 3 games? Or was that the players fault/choice? Was it Willie Taggart's choice to bring out Floyd to start the 2nd half of the McNeese State game after he was absolutely horrendous the first half and the first play throws another INT? Or was that the players decision/fault too? (I am not saying we would of won the game with another QB playing but I'll bet you we wouldn't of lost by 32 points..)

You're absolutely blind if you think that coaching is not to blame at all. 

Taggart was left with an awful awful awful awful AWFUL team, but with that it is better than what McNeese State and FAU have. If you disagree with that that's fine. You could even say we're so bad McNeese State and FAU have the same amount of talent as USF right now which goes to show you that getting blown out by them is a coaching issue. 

Coaches come up with the game plans. They decide what players play and what plays to run. They are supposed to prepare the team for the opponent each week. (He gets a pass for Miami, we had no chance whether he is the best coach in the nation or not) Not executing on a play or two can cost you a game but losing by a combined 50 points to McNeese State and FAU at home is a coaching issue. 

Last year this board only wanted to blame the coaches and the players were free from the "stink".

It's a talent issue, a player execution issue, AND a coaching issues. The last two have been extremely poor. Does one play into it? Absolutely, but double digit losses to McNeese and FAU fall on the coaches as much as it falls on the talent, and execution.

you keep blaming coaches but you show no proof. are there better staffs out there? absolutely. can we afford them? not even close. do I think they could do much better with what we have? maybe a little better but not much.

just please tell me what the coaches could have done differently to change the outcome of those games when your hands are tied offensively and there are so many gift scores to the opponent.

we lost by double digits to mcneese state and fau because our QB play is atrocious. you can't turn the ball over for scores and expect to win especially when our QB play is so bad.

I've shown plenty of proof, you choose to ignore it. It's not worth it because you're one of maybe 5 people in this world who believe McNeese State has more talent than USF

you haven't shown any proof at all that those losses were caused by coaching errors.

you're naive enough to believe that a top 10 d 1-aa program, loaded with transfers from better 1-a programs, can't be more talented at crucial positions than a bottom of the barrel d 1-a program.

there are plenty of top 1-aa programs that are more talented football teams then we are. I bet north dakota state would beat close to half of all d-1a teams including kansas state who won the big 12 last year.

So... it wasn't Willie Taggart that chose Matt Floyd as our starting QB to start the season after seeing the kid couldn't even take a snap last season? Not to mention his 0 TD to 7 or 8 turnover ratio in 3 games? Or was that the players fault/choice? Was it Willie Taggart's choice to bring out Floyd to start the 2nd half of the McNeese State game after he was absolutely horrendous the first half and the first play throws another INT? Or was that the players decision/fault too? (I am not saying we would of won the game with another QB playing but I'll bet you we wouldn't of lost by 32 points..)

You're absolutely blind if you think that coaching is not to blame at all. 

Taggart was left with an awful awful awful awful AWFUL team, but with that it is better than what McNeese State and FAU have. If you disagree with that that's fine. You could even say we're so bad McNeese State and FAU have the same amount of talent as USF right now which goes to show you that getting blown out by them is a coaching issue. 

Coaches come up with the game plans. They decide what players play and what plays to run. They are supposed to prepare the team for the opponent each week. (He gets a pass for Miami, we had no chance whether he is the best coach in the nation or not) Not executing on a play or two can cost you a game but losing by a combined 50 points to McNeese State and FAU at home is a coaching issue. 

Willie Taggart tried to get a transfer QB from Arkansas, a transfer QB from FSU and eventually did get one from Penn state.

he knew what he had on the roster. neither Floyd or Eveld were a descent option. sure Eveld threw for a couple of Tds against mcneese in garbage time but Floyd onbviously had more upside so i guess he was hoping it would work out.

I love people who claim a team is better especially after they were beat by the team they are claiming they are better than. we are not better than mcneese state or FAU.

getting blown out by them was a turnover and QB issue.

sure not executing on a play or two. keep telling yourself that.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516

(3) This offense, as being called now, is WAY too complicated for our talent. The staff, to their credit, has dumbed it down minimally, but it is just not enough. I get that you want to install a system, but lets go piece by piece. Guys don’t know who they need to block. QBs can’t figure out timing. These guys are mostly built for the spread, lets go slow. We’ve got the nation’s 12th leading rusher in our backfield. Figure out a way to use him to improve the passing game.

This is right on the money and I have said the same thing over the last few weeks. This season is already a loss regardless if we've started our conference schedule or not. We're not even going to be competitive running a foreign system with players not even close to built for it. You've taught it to the team all spring, continue to teach it in practice, and you even run it in the games BUT at the same time run some plays that do cater to our players. That doesn't mean abandon your philosophy either. It means give the players some confidence and mix in some other things. We're going to be so bad this year we can afford to let them learn slowly and surely. It's not like we've got a chance at a conference championship or a bowl game using only Taggart's power run system. 

(3) This offense, as being called now, is WAY too complicated for our talent. The staff, to their credit, has dumbed it down minimally, but it is just not enough. I get that you want to install a system, but lets go piece by piece. Guys don’t know who they need to block. QBs can’t figure out timing. These guys are mostly built for the spread, lets go slow. We’ve got the nation’s 12th leading rusher in our backfield. Figure out a way to use him to improve the passing game.

This is right on the money and I have said the same thing over the last few weeks. This season is already a loss regardless if we've started our conference schedule or not. We're not even going to be competitive running a foreign system with players not even close to built for it. You've taught it to the team all spring, continue to teach it in practice, and you even run it in the games BUT at the same time run some plays that do cater to our players. That doesn't mean abandon your philosophy either. It means give the players some confidence and mix in some other things. We're going to be so bad this year we can afford to let them learn slowly and surely. It's not like we've got a chance at a conference championship or a bowl game using only Taggart's power run system. 

why do people think these players can magically run another offense?

THEY SCORED 1 TD IN 3 GAMES LAST YEAR RUNNING THE OFFENSE THEY WERE RECRUITED FOR.

AN OFFENSE THEY HAD BEEN RUNNING FOR NEARLY 3 YEARS.

that was with years of experience in the system. maybe just maybe they aren't good at running ANY offense.

Edited by Bull94