• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

TBO: New era dawns for Taggart-led Bulls

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

New era dawns for Taggart-led Bulls

BY MICHAEL MANGANELLO

Tribune correspondent

Published: August 4, 2013

TAMPA - With a simple "Happy New Year" from University of South Florida football coach Willie Taggart, the 2013 football season began.

The Bulls open training camp on campus today, less than four weeks before their Aug. 31 season opener against McNeese State, ending a long offseason of transition.

"The football team is about to get started and we're very excited," Taggart said. "We get out there and it's time to do something. . It's the season. We get to play games now, it's not spring ball where we have to play against each other. You get to go and work on your craft every single day and then go out and perform in front of your fan base and let them know how hard you've been working."

With the turning of the football calendar, all references to the 2012 season under former head coach Skip Holtz have ended. Taggart started to stay "3 and 9" but caught himself before finishing last year's record, saying only that it was "history."

After a team meeting Sunday night to discuss rules and expectations, the Bulls turned their attention to the first day of practice, which Taggart said is one of the easiest to coach all season.

"We can see the excitement our guys have when they're walking around and they want (to play)," he said. "Those are the best days because the first two days, you don't have to motivate them to do anything. They're going to go and fly around like bullets out there."

The Bulls will practice daily on campus until they depart Saturday morning for a week of practices in Vero Beach.

"You either get better or you get worse," Taggart said. "No one stays the same. Every day we're trying to get better."

No rush on QBs

One of the most important challenges Taggart will face in the next few weeks will be naming a starting quarterback. Two returning players, sophomore Matt Floyd and senior Bobby Eveld, will compete with two newcomers, Penn State transfer Steven Bench and freshman Mike White.

"I want to see someone separate themselves (from the competition)," Taggart said. "To me, that's what big-time college football is all about. I'm excited. I think all those guys are capable and they understand they have the chance to do something special and lead this football team."

Taggart said there is no timeline for naming a starter, that the process will happen at its own pace.

"If it's the end of next week.....

Rest of Story

Wasn't this author a writer at the Oracle?  Or, maybe I've just seen his name somewhere else...

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

i hope the era didnt come to late for usf

willie t will be fine as a coach but if usf doesnt get int o the big 5 we are doomed to remain irrelevant

willie t will go on to bigger and better things no doubt

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,832
  • Days Won:  22

Willie T will do his job, but we as fans, alumni and donors need to also do our part. IF we want and expect USF to move forward we must make sure that USF is attractive to be picked to move up. Yes we have the large school in a large tv area and recruiting grounds but we also must improve in.

1. Fan attendance by showing up specially for football and basketball.

2. Increasing donations for which we are not at the top of even this new league we look down upon.

Is no huge surprise that the latest schools chosen to move up also have the largest athletic budgets. Our budget still trails UConn's and UC

So while we have lots to offer and certainly winning will make us more attractive any league looking at USF will also want to see what type of financial and game support does our school get from its supporters.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

i liked his bulls shirt on twitter