• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

AAC Member Memphis: What you need to know

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

Let’s get to know the new conference mates and each other.  Bulls fans and other fans in the “American” are invited to post on each of the teams to include information on the university, its athletic programs (especially football this time of year), what to do in town for a road game, etc.  Or, in some cases, reminisce about previous match-ups or times spent together in a previous conference. 

The intent is to build fun and informative threads that help us get coached up on new conference mates.  Please reserve the impulse to mud sling for other threads as the season nears.

Everyone is invited to contribute.  If you know a fan of one of the other AAC schools, please invite them.

Thanks,

Brad, aka Bulliever

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4
  • Days Won:  0

I think most South Florida fans know a bit about the University of Memphis.  Seeing as how they were conference members in CUSA for nearly a decade.  Football for two seasons and USF holds a 2-3 record against Memphis, since they first met in 2001.  A game I was actually at in Memphis, as an 11 year-old.

Football:

Memphis was on a path to football success when USF left the conference in 2005, but faltered in the re-branded CUSA.  A tough stretch from 2009-2011 has left the public reputation of the program as a bottom feeder.  But this was hardly the case, half a decade earlier.  Memphis was listed with Boise State in 2004 as a BCS buster candidate, and were ranked for a week that season.  

Since the hire of Justin Fuente in December 2011, the UofM has began to see a renewed interest in the sport, as 40,000 showed up to their season opener to see the Tigers lose to Tennessee-Martin 20-17, in overtime.  Rome wasn't built in a night, and neither will the Tigers football program.  Keep in mind, Gary Patterson's first season at TCU included an OT loss to Northwestern State.  

I mention this because Fuente was TCU's offensive Coordinator from 2009-2011.  His offense is similar to TCU's at Memphis, but there is an aspect of going under center more than TCU.  Memphis utilizes the quicks snap running plays and play-action, roll out from under center.  However, their main focus remains the spread-shotgun game.

The offense began to click as the year rolled-on, as they won three out of four.  Most of this was against weak competition. (Tulane, UAB, and Southern Miss)  But you could tell that something clicked, that hadn't earlier in the season.  Memphis beat one bowl team(RICE) last year.  Defense and special teams will decide if Memphis is competitive this year, but a consistent offense could put some of those worries to rest.

I think Memphis could finish 6-6 this season, but 5-7 is probably realistic.

Staying in Memphis:

Memphis has many different areas of town, which can be near or far from the stadium.  If you're flying in, Southaven, MS, East Memphis, and Downtown would probably be your best options.  All are within a fifteen minute interstate drive from the airport, and all areas have plenty of lodging.  Southaven might not be the best if you happen to be in town when Ole Miss is playing.  While a Memphis suburb, is a typical destination for Ole Miss fans that fly in for games, as Southaven is less than an hours drive to Oxford, MS.  However, the rates might be cheaper there.

Downtown:

Peabody, Marriott, Westin, Coutyard, Madison, Holiday Inn, Double Tree, 

Dining:

Rendezvous, Gus', Flight, a few others, I can't remember right now

East Memphis:

Embassy Suites, Marriott, Hilton, Hampton Inn, Courtyard, 

Dining:

Ruth's Chirs, Flemings, P. F. Changs, Benehanna, Grove Grill, Jim's Place, Fox N Hound, Houston's, Chaio Bella, Sakura, Bryant's Breakfast (Summer Ave), Carrabas, City East, Germantown Commissary, Swanky's, Amerigo's, Pete and Sam's,(bring own booze) 

Near the stadium:

Central BBQ, Cafe Ole, Young Avenue Deli, Cortona Italian, Celtic Crossing (These are all in Cooper Young area, which is about three blocks west of the stadium)  This area is a cool bar scene too, if you're looking for an alternative to downtown.

I'm a Tennessee Vol that appreciates all college sports conference as I hope the AAC is successful in trying to become a major conference.  It will be tough, but if it's similar to the way CUSA was budding in the early 2000s, then there's no doubt that most of the same schools and more, can do it again.  It'll be sad when it's eventually leveled by the ACC at some point, but hopefully it will last for a few years, and allow these schools to make themselves more viable in the process.

P.S.  I live in Knoxville, and one of the sports show guys up here is a USF alum.

*meant to say USF was 3-2 vs. Memphis all time.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

Thanks jbonez89.

I went to Memphis for the C-USA Tourney way long ago....can't remember the season.  It was the year that Kenyon Martin broke his leg.  It was at the Pyramid.

That was one of the greatest road trips ever.  The people were great.  I ended up sitting in the club box of a political official that thought it would be good hospitality to welcome an out of towner and friends.

Ate great food, the people were so nice I thought they had to be faking.  :)  Loved the Memphis trip.

The Pyramid was great, but the Forum's location puts you in the middle of the entertainment district and Beale Street.  I'm really hoping they put the b-ball tourney there on a regular bases.  I think Memphis, Cincy, or Philly would be the best options for the tournament starting out.  

They also need to move the conference headquarters out of Providence, RI, and make it more of a central location, to benefit all members, instead of just UCONN.  I was thinking Nashville, Birmingham or Atlanta.  That way it's in the south, and right in the SEC's face.

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,075
  • Days Won:  2

Thanks Jbonez89. Good info. It is nice to see an SEC fan who actually is supportive of our conference rather than marginalizing it.

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,075
  • Days Won:  2

You are right in referring to the fact that at one time Memphis was on the cusp of being very successful.