• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Ed O'Bannon v. NCAA, et. al

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  470
  • Days Won:  0

Surprised not to find this previously discussed here.  Stewart Mandel was on a local sports show talking about the issue.  I missed his segment, but for the few that followed, the hosts (Lavar (Arrington) & Dukes) were pretty worked up about his commentary. 

Some information:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130402/ed-obannon-ncaa-case-primer/

Apparently Ed O'Bannon is the lead figure in a class action lawsuit against the NCAA, basically claiming that collegiate athletes were/are responsible for the money made by their likenesses (and, therefore, are owed a percentage of it by the NCAA and its cohorts).  And the case seems to have some non-negligible chance of ending with a result fairly dire for the NCAA as we now know it. 

Any opinions; especially you that speak legalese? 

Thanks. 

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

If they have to be paid, I like the idea about the students not getting paid until they earn their degree. It gives them an extra incentive to stay in school and finish their studies.

In a weird , twisted way, I kind of hope this blows up the NCAA and causes the Power5 conferences to form their own semi-pro league.

If we're going to be stuck in a second-tier conference anyway, it would be better to be in the best amateur-level league left.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091

this case is long over due

kids deserve money  and % of all proceeds

no graduation required

i have been saying this for years

we have discussed the topic before

the minimum wage paid  red necks on the board alwAYS say"they should be happy with their scholarship"

Edited by smazza

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

smazza, I make far more than minimum wage and am not even close to being a redneck and I don't want college players being paid.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049

smazza, I make far more than minimum wage and am not even close to being a redneck and I don't want college players being paid.

That just means you're part of the capitalist establishment hellbent on exploiting the poor helpless players! :D