• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

when you consider the size and location of usf

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

It is because of our age as a University, and because we dragged our feet on getting football for so long. Had we added football back in the 1980's or 1970's then we would likely be in the Big 5 by now.

I think we get shat on by the older Universities because of both of these items.

Yeah, just like that school in Orlando that started out in the late 1970s and yet fell behind 1997-born USF in the college football totem poll.

(That means you are wrong.)

orlando school caught usf now that we are in the same conference

They didn't catch up to USF, USF was relegated down to their level. Orlando U has caught USF the way you might catch up to someone if you sit idly in your car while they drive in reverse straight toward you.

we are now on even footingwith them no matter how you look at it

• Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  2,354
  • Days Won:  4

Face it, we are a "directional" school.  Nobody wants a directional school in their conference.  That's a stigma.  Name another directional school that's in a power 5 conference.  You can't.

Good point. I hadn't thought of that. There are "states" (as in FSU), "A&Ms" (as in Texas) and "techs" (as in Georgia) ... but no north/south/east/wests.

What are you talking about there is north Carolina, south Carolina, west Virginia, and north Carolina state.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Easy change

USF = the University of the State of Florida

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  160
  • Days Won:  2

Face it, we are a "directional" school.  Nobody wants a directional school in their conference.  That's a stigma.  Name another directional school that's in a power 5 conference.  You can't.

Good point. I hadn't thought of that. There are "states" (as in FSU), "A&Ms" (as in Texas) and "techs" (as in Georgia) ... but no north/south/east/wests.

What are you talking about there is north Carolina, south Carolina, west Virginia, and north Carolina state.

LOL ... Come on man, you know what i meant. In those cases, the direction is in the name of the states themselves, hence they are not "directional" schools. :LoveFest:

Edited by BatonRougeBull87

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  160
  • Days Won:  2

It is because of our age as a University, and because we dragged our feet on getting football for so long. Had we added football back in the 1980's or 1970's then we would likely be in the Big 5 by now.

I think we get shat on by the older Universities because of both of these items.

Yeah, just like that school in Orlando that started out in the late 1970s and yet fell behind 1997-born USF in the college football totem poll.

(That means you are wrong.)

orlando school caught usf now that we are in the same conference

They didn't catch up to USF, USF was relegated down to their level. Orlando U has caught USF the way you might catch up to someone if you sit idly in your car while they drive in reverse straight toward you.

Yeah. As far as I can tell, the only schools in all of FBS that will be getting less bowl money and media money from 2014 onwards than they got previously are Cincy, Uconn, and us.

Cincy and UCONN will put their football in the MAC and go with the C7 schools in basketball.

That leaves us - the red-headed stepchild of the NCAA.

Well, it was fun while it lasted.

they will never go to the  mac

I don't think so either. The marginal extra C7 basketball money is outweighed by the huge loss in football prestige associated with joining the MAC. Plus, the C7 split in large part because they were tired of football driving the bus and membership instability, and so i doubt they'd even want two schools that are football focused and will bolt for a Power 5 as soon as the opportunity arises.

Edited by BatonRougeBull87

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

LOL ... Come on man, you know what i meant. In those cases, the direction is in the name of the states themselves, hence they are not "directional" schools. :LoveFest:

"Southern" isn't directional??

p-155266-reggie-bush-usc-trojans-nfl-han

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Does Northwestern count?

Does Northwestern count?

It's a double directional so they cancel each other out ..
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

So if we were geographically accurate and changed our name to the University of South Central Florida, we'd be golden?

So if we were geographically accurate and changed our name to the University of South Central Florida, we'd be golden?

Based on precedents set, we'd need to change it Centralsouthern University or the University of Southern Florida to appease ...