• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Denson Closing Gap On Bulls' QB Spot

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

From St Pete Times:

Denson a 'work in progress'

The USF sophomore is rusty but intent on contending for the starting quarterback job.

By GREG AUMAN, Times Staff Writer

Published March 23, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TAMPA - Courtney Denson has never been so happy to shake off the rust.

For the first time in more than two years, the USF sophomore is running his own team's offense, competing for a job at the only position where he feels at home. After a year at Auburn and a season running the Bulls' scout team, he is a quarterback again.

"Ever since I was about 7, I played quarterback, always," said Denson, a 6-foot, 192-pound standout who was touted as the Florida's premier passing prospect. "I'd watch guys play on TV, and in my heart, I knew I could do it. That's how I got to college, playing quarterback."

He was a prolific passer at Miami Central, throwing for 1,984 yards and 21 touchdowns as a senior while rushing for 625 yards and 12 scores. He's fast enough to run on Central's 4x100-meter relay, athletic enough to boast a 38-inch vertical leap, strong enough to squat 500 pounds and smart enough to score an 1160 on the SAT.

His challenge now is learning USF's offense quickly enough to contend for the starting quarterback job this fall. He's up against junior Pat Julmiste, who passed for seven touchdowns and ran for nine more last fall in his first full season as starter.

"Everybody else is ahead of me in the knowledge part of it," said Denson, who split reps with three other passers in drills Tuesday. "I'm trying to learn and not think too much. I'm in there thinking about coverages, reads, plays, what side, everything. I have to get more relaxed. Once I get comfortable with this offense, I'll be better."

He liked USF out of high school but signed with Auburn, lured by the Tigers' national ranking and a chance to compete. When he got there, he was fourth on the depth chart, and within a month, coaches had convinced him to switch to cornerback, a position he'd never played.

"I said I'd help the team, but then they never wanted me to switch back," said Denson, who transferred to USF in August.

Denson showed promise running the scout team, scoring a 50-yard touchdown run in one intrasquad scrimmage. He received the Golden Bull award, given to the top offensive and defensive scout-team players.

Working the scout team kept him from learning USF's spread offense, which will be his primary focus this spring. Quarterbacks coach Rod Smith said Denson has showed himself to be a quick study but still has a lot to learn.

"He's much farther along than most people would be if they stepped in his shoes," Smith said. "He's a work in progress right now. He's getting his first dose of getting reps with our guys. He's rusty with his throws, but he has tons of ability."

Denson wasn't sure what to expect when he transferred to USF, but said he has been embraced by his fellow passers, who have helped him despite the competitive atmosphere.

"I thought it'd be such a competition that everybody wouldn't talk to me, but the quarterbacks, we're the closest out of the whole group," Denson said.

Coach Jim Leavitt knew he was getting an athlete in Denson, but said he has been most impressed by the humility he showed in running the scout team, by his eagerness to learn this spring.

"I like who he is," Leavitt said. "He's got a great attitude. He's working hard. He's very serious, not playing around, and that's important to me. He's really focused. He was a really good quarterback in high school, but that doesn't mean anything in college yet. We'll have to wait and see."

Denson didn't want to be interviewed by media members this spring, but Leavitt insisted, telling him it too was a necessary part of becoming a quarterback in a major college program. The starting job remains Julmiste's to lose, and his experience is a decided advantage, but Denson hopes to learn enough this spring to challenge him in the fall.

"Somebody needs to step up and separate themselves from the rest," Smith said. "I told all four of them that, told Pat that. They all understand what's at stake."

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/03/23/Sports/Denson_a__work_in_pro.shtml

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,675
  • Days Won:  29

Nice Read . . . very excited about him.

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928

If CJL is happy with Denson,

Then I am happy.....  :D

• Topic Count:  47
  • Content Count:  486

God Bless the Frey family.

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267

Having a "good handle" on the offense and actually being able to execute the offense are to completely differant things.  Denson will continue to "close the gap" and win the starting job.

• Topic Count:  483
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

I just want the best player at the QB position starting next year regardless of who it is.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,675
  • Days Won:  29

I just want the best player at the QB position starting next year regardless of who it is.

Exactly!

I think ALL of us will be a fan of whoever is helping us win.

Go BULLS !!!

Guest Turkey Shizzler

i'm hoping we can have it pared down to no more than two quarterbacks competing for the starting job by the opener at penn state, and i'm hoping neither is julmiste.

if we get to september and he still is one of the top two, then that doesn't say too much for our qb position. he's a good kid and good athlete, but he's a very inaccurate passer.

let the top two qbs (grothe, denson and/or hill) each play some at penn state, much like tennessee did early last season with schaeffer and ainge. it would give penn state's defense more to think about, and it would give two young qbs good game experience, and it would allow them to sort out which one is better in actual game situation.

then we go from there with whoever emerges. i don't like our chances of winning that first game, but i think this team is poised to improve greatly over the course of the 2005 season and finish in the top half of the big east.

but that's a long way off. we'll see how the spring goes.