• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Pittsburgh Scouting Reports:

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Read Panther reports here.

Pitt football starts spring practice

By Matt Grubba The Pitt News

Pittsburgh, PA (U-WIRE) -- After losing in the Fiesta Bowl over two and a half months ago, change has been the main theme with the Pitt football team.

Since Dave Wannstedt returned to lead his alma mater, he has brought in a new offensive coaching staff and, more importantly, a new philosophy on both sides of the ball. Day One to implement that new philosophy was Saturday, as spring practice began for the Panthers -- a spring that will likely yield even more change.

"You'll see we're going to have a ton of run stuff, and it'll help our defense, too," Wannstedt said about the offense at his press conference on Friday.

"We have to improve as a football team," he continued. "There's no depth chart right now, and I told the players that. We're going to look at a lot of different players at a lot of different positions ... the determination has to be made, who are our best players, who gives us the best chance to win."

One of Wannstedt's common themes throughout the past few weeks has been the need to improve team speed. As the team took the field Saturday, some noticeable position changes that had been talked about to accomplish that were put into effect on the field.

Charles Spencer, an All-Big East selection as a guard last season, opened camp learning the offensive tackle position, while Thomas Smith, a solid contributor starting at defensive end the last two seasons, has been moved inside to defensive tackle. Darrell Strong, formerly a wide receiver, also moves to tight end -- moves symbolic of Wannstedt's vision for the team.

"You've seen the style of defense that I've played the last fifteen years," Wannstedt said, referring to his time with the Cowboys, Bears and Dolphins in the NFL.

"We've always been a big-play defense. We've given up some size," he added. "There aren't many teams that could play with a five-ten-and-a-half, 225-pound middle linebacker like [Miami Dolphin linebacker] Zach Thomas. That's kind of, from a philosophy standpoint, what we're trying to do here."

But even with the changes in positions and style of play looming for the defense, that aspect of the game figures to be affected least, at least in terms of terminology and play calling, due to the retention of defensive coordinator Paul Rhoads and his staff.

The offense, on the other hand, begins 2005 with a new staff, led by former Pitt quarterback and Baltimore Ravens' offensive coordinator Matt Cavanaugh, who brings his playbook based on power running and play-action passing with him.

"We're going to throw quite a bit at them. If I showed you our spring practice playbook..." Wannstedt said, stopping in mid-sentence to rephrase.

"Matt Cavanaugh and the guys did a nice job. It's about this big," he said, gesturing like he was holding a book of encyclopedic size, drawing laughs from the audience.

As the opening practice unfolded, some of the massive volume described by Wannstedt was put on display, with two offensive units executing a number of run and short pass plays, featuring a heavy dose of short passes to running backs and play-action passing.

And while the defense looks to remain steady, if not improve, and the offense logged crisp first day, special teams -- the third aspect of the game -- was not forgotten, either. The new staff brings with it a new approach to special teams, which may lead to more changes besides All-Big East kicker Josh Cummings' shedding his trademark locks for a shorter hairstyle.

Wannstedt made it clear that he and defensive ends coach Charlie Partridge, who was given the duty of heading up the special teams units -- another change from the Walt Harris era -- will not hesitate to use starters on coverage and return teams, wanting to keep their best players on the field as much as possible.

But despite all the X's and O's and changes from last season to be implemented, Wannstedt had one main thing on his mind going into spring practice.

"I'm truly excited to get out there and see our players moving around," he said. "Even though we've been watching a lot of film on them, I want to see it firsthand. I want to see a guy go out there and make a great catch and I want to see a guy go out there and block somebody."

His chance to see and coach his team firsthand will continue for the next month during spring practice, as the team will have 13 more practice sessions, culminating with the Spring Game on April 16 at Heinz Field, beginning at 1:30 p.m.

Pitt football starts spring practice

Pitt will look to run more in new offense

By Rob Rossi

TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Sunday, March 20, 2005

A joke overheard yesterday during the first spring practice of the Dave Wannstedt era at Pitt went something like this: You know, under new offensive coordinator Matt Cavanaugh, the Panthers are going to run the "West Coast Offense."

Didn't Pitt run the "West Coast Offense" under Walt Harris?

The punchline, of course, is that under Walt Harris' "West Coast Offense," the Panthers didn't run at all.

They will this year. And they did many times yesterday when the first-team offense ran some basic plays against the starting defense.

Count junior quarterback Tyler Palko among those players relieved to find that Cavanaugh's idea of "West Coast" includes some serious ground game.

"First of all, the term 'West Coast Offense' gets thrown around too much," Palko said. "The two offenses I've been in are progression-read offenses. You get the ball out quick and take your shots deep when you get the chance. We're still throwing the football."

Just not as much -- at least, not if things go according to Cavanaugh's plan.

"I like to call it the 'Allegheny County Offense.' " Cavanaugh said, jokingly. "I don't have a name for it. We run the ball and throw the ball, and hopefully, we'll do it well enough to win some games.

"I'd say there are a lot of similarities (between the offenses). You have to look at it real close to find some places that are drastically different. If you're looking for balance and you run and you throw, you're pretty much doing the same things as everybody else -- and we want to be balanced."

Palko, who passed for 3,067 yards and 24 touchdowns last season, has accepted the possibility that the Panthers might win more if less rides on his gifted left arm.

"We were 105th in rushing last year," he said. "I'm not saying we need to be No. 1, but we need to be a lot better."

In truth, Palko's dirty little secret is that he likes the idea of a more balanced offensive attack.

"I'm really excited about the new offense," he said. "Plus, it's not that big of a change. You're going to have to learn a new playbook, and obviously, that's a big change. But there's only so many ways you can run a slant or post.

"If anything, it should be fun, because everything won't be so boring. Nobody will be sitting around the dorm room, thinking, 'I know this.' If anything, our brains should be steaming by the end of spring."

Spencer replaces Petitti

Senior Charles Spencer lined up in Rob Petitti's old spot at left tackle yesterday and likely will stay there until he follows his former offensive linemate to the NFL at the end of the upcoming season.

Spencer, 6-foot-5, 330 pounds, has the size to play tackle. He was a second-team All-Big East guard last season, his first as a starter. He's not too concerned with the change of scenery.

"It's not that much of a difference," he said. "I'm still on the offensive line. I'm still blocking people. My stance may be a little different. I'm kicking back a lot more than when I was a guard, but everything else is pretty much the same."

Not everything.

Spencer was a lot more vocal during offensive line drills yesterday than at any time last season.

"I've been here for a long time, so the coaches asked that I get the other guys going," he said. "Obviously, last year was one of my better years here at Pitt, so I should take on some leadership responsibility. If that means keeping them up during practice, that's what I'll do."

Injury update

Five Panthers did not participate during the team's first spring practice: defensive ends Charles Sallett (shoulder) and Kyle Smith (concussion), defensive tackle Ron Idoko (shoulder), fullback Lance Asbee (torn ACL) and long-snapper Mark Estermyer (torn ACL).

Sallett is not ruled out of spring sessions, but he is listed as "limited" after undergoing surgery on his shoulder shortly after the Fiesta Bowl. He started nine games last season.

Pitt will look to run more in new offense

Offensive line is powering up

Saturday, March 26, 2005

By Paul Zeise, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Offensive tackle Mike McGlynn felt almost powerless as Utah's defense mercilessly blitzed Pitt quarterback Tyler Palko in the Utes' 35-7 Fiesta Bowl shellacking of the Panthers in January.

He was horrified when he watched film of the game and found out Palko was sacked nine times.

McGlynn is of the opinion that Pitt's transformation from a pass-happy offense to a power-running team under first-year coach Dave Wannstedt and new offensive coordinator Matt Cavanaugh means the days of the offensive line getting overwhelmed are over.

"I love the change to a run-oriented offense," said McGlynn, whose tough, physical play and ability to adapt already has caught the eye of Wannstedt. "That's really about beating people up. We're saying we're coming at you no matter what you throw at us. Being able to run the ball from any down or distance keeps the defensive line on their heels and keeps them guessing. They can't just pin back and know you are going to pass every play."

McGlynn's linemates echo his sentiments.

"When you run the ball, you take the attack to the other guy, instead of the other way around," guard John Simonitis said. "As an offensive lineman, there is no bigger confidence boost than when you are running the ball and the other guy knows it, and they can't stop it. That's what we want to do around here."

Last year, under former coach Walt Harris, the Panthers utilized a version of the West Coast offense with an emphasis on the passing game. The offense put a premium on quarterbacks and receivers but often treated the running game as an afterthought.

When it was working, the offense could score in bunches. The problem was, there were too many games when the opponent would blitz the Panthers without any fear.

That usually spelled doom for Pitt because it didn't have a strong running game to help slow down the pass rush. That was a recurring theme the past two years, which is a reason the Panthers led the Big East in sacks allowed last season and had the second most in 2003.

"It is easy to point to the line with the sack numbers," McGlynn said. "But we never developed the run game and even when we had a little success with it we wouldn't stick with it. This staff is committed to making us a physical team. That doesn't mean we won't pass. In fact, it means we will pass it better.

"Defenses didn't have to guess in the past. Everyone in the stadium knew third-and-4 or -5 meant we were passing. How about now, when on third-and-5 and they have to worry about a run. That's exciting because it means we're going to have the upper hand. We'll be calling the shots, not the defense."

The change in offensive philosophy, while welcomed by the offensive linemen, will not come without sacrifice. The first thing is, all of the linemen have been asked to drop a little bit of weight -- on average between 15 to 20 pounds -- because they will be asked to move around a lot more.

Losing weight, however, does not mean losing strength. McGlynn and Simonitis said they are losing weight gradually while getting stronger and quicker. That should produce a line that is not only fast and physical, but lean and mean as well.

Because Wannstedt wants his linemen to be leaner and quicker, there could be a number of players who will lose their jobs. The competition for starting jobs on the offensive line figures to be intense as the players must prove they are capable of playing physical football.

McGlynn said the Panthers' spring practice and training camp will be more physical than ever but he's looking forward to going through it. He believes opponents will feel the difference on game day and a day later.

"We want to be that team where after the game the other team is going to be bumped, they're going to be bruised, they're going to be sore," McGlynn said. "We want them to know that they just played the most physical game they played all year. That's the offensive line we want to be. We want to be the most physical unit on the field. Next season, when you line up to play against us, you better know you're in for a battle on every play."

Offensive line is powering up

More aggressive roles seem to suit Pitt linebackers

Friday, April 01, 2005

When Pitt linebacker H.B. Blades heard Dave Wannstedt would be the Panthers' new coach, he didn't have trouble finding someone to tell him about his new coach. It also didn't take him long to figure out he was going to like playing linebacker in Wannstedt's defensive system.

"Both my dad [former Miami Hurricanes standout Bennie Blades] and my uncle Brian [blades] were at Miami when [Wannstedt] coached there," Blades said, "My dad told me he is a great coach, so, when he got hired, both were excited for me and for our team.

"He's the kind of coach we like on defense -- he's energetic, he's excited, he wants us to play tough, physical, attacking football. That's what we want to do. We're no longer going to sit back and wait for things to happen. We're going to be more attacking, play downhill and just go make plays."

Playmakers are what Wannstedt consistently has said he is looking for, and Blades said the linebackers understand that especially applies to them.

"Linebacker is linebacker in almost any defense," said linebackers coach Curtis Bray, "and they are supposed to be active. I don't think it is that big of a difference yet, but, depending on what we feel like we have, we may do some more blitzing or attacking. The key right now is for all of them to learn what they are supposed to do. Once we get that down, then we can look to build on it."

Linebacker was one of Pitt's deepest positions last season, and it appears as if it will be again this fall. In fact, two of the most competitive position battles during the spring and in training camp will be at middle and weakside linebacker.

Redshirt junior Brian Bennett played behind Blades on the strong side last year, but he has moved to the weak side and is pushing J.J. Horne for a starting position. The coaches believe Bennett is too good to keep on the bench behind Blades, so they moved him to give him a chance to earn an open starting job. Even he doesn't win the job, he'll know both outside positions and be able to fill in at either.

Clint Session started at middle linebacker last season, but he was nearly unseated for his starting job late in the year by Derron Thomas, now a redshirt sophomore. Thomas played well last season as a backup and has elevated his play with each spring practice.

Bray said Session has the experience and talent to become a dominating player, but he was inconsistent last season and missed too many tackles. Thomas might not have Session's flair for the big hit, but he is a heady player who understands where he is supposed to be and what he is supposed to do.

"Clint missed way too many tackles for a middle linebacker," Bray said. "H.B. led us in tackles, but, if Clint had made most of the tackles he missed, he'd have led us, and that's what you want. You want your middle linebacker to lead you in tackles, so that's what he's working on."

Regardless of who starts, Bray said all five, along with redshirt freshman Scott McKillop -- Blades' backup on the strong side -- will play a lot, and the Panthers should have an excellent group of linebackers.

Wannstedt said the unit needs to improve, but he's confident they will because there is so much competition.

"We have great competition," Wannstedt said. "J.J. Horne is there, but I really like Brian Bennett. Clint Session is doing a good job, but I really like Derron Thomas, so we have a battle there. H.B. is experienced, and he has great instincts. I am excited about our group, I think it is a good group, but not just because of the starters -- I think we'll have four or five guys that I'll be very comfortable with playing."

NOTES --Wannstedt will play host to the University of Pittsburgh's 2005 coaches clinic April 8-9 at the UPMC Sports Performance Complex on the South Side. Cost will be $50 per coach. For more information, contact the Panthers' football office at 412-648-8700. ... Safety Sam Bryant's ankle was injured in practice yesterday and he was taken from the field in a cart. ... Tight end Darrell Strong made a number of tough catches in passing drills yesterday. "Darrell is going to be an outstanding receiving tight end," Wannstedt said, "but he needs to work on his blocking. He needs to become a complete player. He understands that and is working hard, but he has found his position." Strong came to Pitt as a quarterback but moved to tight end, then receiver and now back to tight end. ... The Panthers will practice today, tomorrow and Sunday. Wannstedt said they will hold their first scrimmage tomorrow. ... Pitt also will hold junior day tomorrow, with about 30 prospective recruits who are juniors in high school expected to attend. Most will be from local high schools.

More aggressive roles seem to suit Pitt linebackers

Tailback emerges from pack

Monday, April 04, 2005

Pitt coach Dave Wannstedt has been searching for a featured tailback and, at least for one day, he found a tailback that separated himself from the rest of the players vying for the starting job.

The Panthers held their first scrimmage of the spring yesterday and sophomore Brandon Mason had an outstanding day running the football. Wannstedt said Mason ran hard, got tough yards and most importantly, got a lot of yards on his own even when a play wasn't blocked correctly.

"[Mason] jumped out at us," Wannstedt said, "and really that's why you scrimmage. I tell the players, you can do it in shells and drills but if there isn't tackling, I don't know who can tackle and who can break tackles. You have to go live to not only prove to your teammates and coaches, but to yourself that you can go out there in a full-speed situation and do the job.

"He made people miss and what I really liked is that he did some things you don't have to coach. That's what I look for in players -- do something that I don't have to coach. Get out there and make a guy miss and run for 10 extra yards."

Mason played in only five games last year but was limited because of a preseason thumb injury and he was behind three veterans on the depth chart. He only carried the ball 17 times for 40 yards, but showed flashes during practice.

Wannstedt also praised the work of true freshman Rashad Jennings at tailback yesterday.

Defensive stars

Two other players received the coaches' praise yesterday -- defensive end Joe Clermond and cornerback Josh Lay. For both players, yesterday's effort was a continuation of the way they've played all spring as both have been among the most consistent players on the team.

"I think when you look at who made the plays and who jumped out on defense," Wannstedt said, "I've been real encouraged with Joe Clermond. Joe has really been making plays. And Josh Lay has had as good a four or five days as he's had. He is playing very consistent, he's playing physical, he has the right attitude that you need to have going into his last year to have a big senior year."

Clermond (6-2, 245), who is a redshirt sophomore, came to Pitt as an outside linebacker but was moved to defensive end and was a reserve last season. But he has blossomed into a potentially dominating force because of his quickness and has likely seized one of two starting spots.

At times he has seemed unblockable, which is important because coaches want to be able to get more pressure on the passer out of their four down linemen.

Quick outs

Tight end Erik Gill sat out the scrimmage yesterday with a calf injury.

Tailback emerges from pack

Panthers make Strong move on offense

Monday, April 04, 2005

It has taken a full season and some change, but Pitt coaches believe they have finally found a position that will enable them to take full advantage of the unique talents and superior natural ability of Pitt sophomore Darrell Strong, who was moved from wide receiver to tight end this spring.

Strong is big -- 6 feet 5, 250 pounds -- yet he has quick feet and can run fast.

He is tall and lanky, yet he is graceful like a gazelle. He can throw the football about 70 yards in the air at the flick of his wrist -- probably farther than any of the quarterbacks on the roster -- but he has soft hands and can catch as well as almost any receiver on the team.

A player of his ability is too good to have standing on the sideline, which is why he began his college career as a quarterback, was quickly moved to tight end then settled in at receiver. It is also why coaches were in a hurry to move him back to tight end heading into spring drills this season.

Strong has had a relatively smooth transition thus far, but he is admittedly a long way from becoming the complete tight end coaches believe he can be. Still, his progress has generated buzz.

"We want to get Darrell on the field because he excites us with some of his abilities," Pitt tight ends coach Greg Gattuso said. "He is a kid that can play inside, he can play outside, he can play in the backfield. He is very multiple in the things he can do.

"Once we get that mental side caught up with his physical abilities, we'll have a serious player."

Although Strong is a superior athlete, how much he will play will be determined by how quickly he develops as a blocker. Gattuso said Strong needs to get, well, stronger, but he also needs to learn the fundamentals of blocking in the run game and the pass game in order to become a complete tight end.

That is the one area that Strong admits he has struggled with the most because tight ends are usually asked to block defensive ends or linebackers, not corners and safeties like receivers. That means there is a huge difference in the size of the players Strong will be called on to block.

"I used to think I was a physical player, until I started playing tight end," Strong said with a laugh. "The first day I lined up and got hit by a defensive end, I think it was Azzie [beagnyam, who is 6-1, 245], I knew this would be no joke. I'm used to taking on guys who are smaller than me. So that's been a big adjustment. I know I had a long way to go and a lot of work to do in the weight room.

"But I like this position, I didn't think I would but I can definitely see where tight end, especially in this offense, will play a vital role. I'm not sure I'd have liked it as much in our old offense, but in this offense, the tight end plays a big role."

Strong, who is from Fort Lauderdale, Fla., was a quarterback in high school and was initially a quarterback when he came to Pitt in the fall. He said that experience has made it very easy for him to pick up the new offense, so learning a new position in a new system has not been an issue.

He said that his athletic ability has carried him this far, but his versatility is the thing that sets him apart from many other players. Because he has played wide receiver in the past, coaches will be able to use him in formations with other tight ends.

"I feel that I shouldn't be sitting on the sidelines because I can play so many positions," Strong said, "so I motivate myself by trying to learn every position and get on the field anyway I can. My main things between now and fall is to get a lot stronger and to work on my techniques and fundamentals."

When Strong arrived last season, he dazzled onlookers, teammates and coaches during passing drills with his incredible arm strength. He not only threw the ball far and hard, he also showed some touch, although his quarterback skills were very raw.

Even though Strong has found his niche as a tight end, he, like many others in the past with similar talents, still believes he's a quarterback and still daydreams about what it would be like to line up under center and lead the Panthers to victory. Despite those aspirations, Strong said he's happy learning his new position and is ready to become a game-breaker for the Panthers every time they call his number.

"It is still in my heart to be a quarterback, that's my main position," he said, "If I don't end up there, I guess it wasn't meant to be. I just want to play and if tight end is what I am and I can help the team win at that position, then that's what I'll do and I'll do the best job I can."

Panthers make Strong move on offense

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

PITTSBURGH

INSIDE SLANT

The West Coast offense Pittsburgh ran under Walt Harris is gone, replaced by new coach Dave Wannstedt's run-oriented attack.

Thus even with nine starters returning to the offense, the Panthers are undergoing some learning experiences as they prepare for next fall.

QB Tyler Palko, who worked directly Harris for the last three seasons, including a redshirt year, now works with new coordinator Matt Cavanaugh and has some learning to do.

"The offense is completely different, from a standpoint of terminology, formations, how we are calling things, points of emphasis in some areas," Wannstedt said.

With Cavanaugh in charge of the offense, Wannstedt is spending more time grooming a defense that had a tendency to give up points in big chunks in 2004. The Panthers lost their Fiesta Bowl match to Utah 35-7 and in November gave up 38 points each to Syracuse and Notre Dame in back-to-back games, gaining a split with a 41-38 victory over the Irish and a 38-31 loss to the Orange in double-overtime.

"Defensively is really the area that I felt that I needed to get on the same page and make sure that some of the things that I believe in, a little more of a philosophy thing," Wannstedt said. "I think a lot of it has to do with what our p layers can do. There are going to be some changes."

Seven defensive starters return to the defensive unit, headed by LBs H.B. Blades and Clint Sessons and FS Tez Morris. The key losses there are DTs Vince Crochunis and Dan Stephens.

NOTES, QUOTES

BUILDING BLOCKS: The Panthers will be strong at the skill positions with such returnees as QB Tyler Palko, WR Greg Lee and RB Tim Murphy, who can play fullback or tailback, and TB Raymond Kirkley. Senior TB Marcus Furman adds depth to the backfield.

COACHING CAROUSEL: Former Miami Dolphins coach Dave Wannstedt completed his staff with the hiring of Greg Gattuso as recruiting coordinator and tight ends coach. Gattuso comes to Pitt from Duquesne, where he was 97-32 in 12 seasons. Earlier, Wannstedt named former Panther quarterback Matt Cavanaugh offensive coordinator. Cavanaugh led the Panthers to the 1976 national title. David Walker comes to Pitt as running backs coach from Syracuse. Also on the staff are Paul Dunn as offensive line coach, Curtis Bray (linebackers), Aubrey Hill (receivers), Bob Junko (assistant head coach and defensive tackles), Charlie Partridge (defensive ends and special teams), and Paul Rhoads, (defensive coordinator and secondary coach). Dunn was at Kentucky the last two seasons and Hill, who served under Steve Spurrier at Florida, coached at Elon. Rhoads, Junko, Bray and Partridge are holdovers from the previous staff.

SCHEDULE SITUATION: The Panthers jump right into the thick of things by opening against Notre Dame. Wannstedt will have an old nemesis from his Dolphins days in new Irish coach Charlie Weiss, who was the offensive coordinator for Miami rival New England. After their Sept. 3 matchup at Heinz Field, the Panthers are on the road for the next two weeks at Ohio and Nebraska. The Panthers have only three conference games on the road - Rutgers, Louisville and West Virginia - with four at home - Cincinnati, South Florida, Syracuse and Connecticut.

QUOTE TO NOTE: "He makes a lot of plays on his feet. He has a great ability to make plays on the move, and we need to make sure we are doing enough things within the system to give him a chance to do that by design." - Coach Dave Wannstedt, on QB Tyler Palko.

STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL

STARS OF 2005: QB Tyler Palko - He was second-team all-Big East as a sophomore in 2004 and gained national attention for throwing five touchdown passes in the Panthers' victory at Notre Dame. He had two fourth-quarter drives for scores against the Irish, one for a touchdown and another for the game-deciding field goal with a second left.

WR Greg Lee - He ranked sixth nationally as a sophomore in 2004 with an average of 108 receiving yards per game. That didn't make people forget Larry Fitzgerald, but his 1,297 yards receiving were the third-highest total in Pittsburgh history. Fitzgerald's 1,672 ranks first.

TOP NEWCOMERS: RB Rashad Jennings - Though several veterans will be ahead of him in the fall, this February signee could compete for playing time after enrolling for the spring semester.

DT Nick Williams - This redshirt freshman was impressive playing for the scout teams last fall. With the loss of Vince Crochunis and Dan Stephens, the Panthers will be looking for help at his position.

ROSTER REPORT: Sophomore WR Terrell Allen returns after sitting out 2004 with a wrist injury. He played both at wideout and as a kick returner as a freshman in 2003, leading the Panthers with a 23.6 average on 25 kickoff returns. He didn't catch a pass as a freshman but had 36 yards on four rushes.

— Darrell Strong, who was recruited as a quarterback, moved to tight end from wide receiver, where he played in 2004. At 6-5, 245, he certainly has the frame for the position. He caught four passes for 58 yards.

— PK David Abdul, who missed the 2004 season because of injuries sustained in a car accident, will return. He was 22-of-38 on field goals his first two seasons with a long of 47 and is 77-of-80 on PATs.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/bigeast/home.htm

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  743
  • Days Won:  1

Pittsburgh Panthers

2005 Schedule

9/3 Notre Dame

9/10 at Ohio

9/17 at Nebraska

9/24 Youngstown State

9/30 at Rutgers

10/8 Cincinnati

10/15 South Florida

10/22 Syracuse

11/3 at Louisville

11/12 Connecticut

11/24 at West Virginia

2004 overall record:

8-4

Conference record:

4-2

Returning starters

Offense: 9, Defense: 7, Kicker/punter: 2

2004 statistical leaders (* returners)

Rushing: Raymond Kirkley (560 yds)

Passing: Tyler Palko* (3,067 yds)

Receiving: Greg Lee* (1,297 yds)

Tackles: H.B. Blades* (108)

Sacks: J.J. Horne (3.5)

Interceptions: Malcolm Postell (4)

Spring Answers: New coach Dave Wannstedt tried to install a physical, power-running game this spring and the team will run much more than under Walt Harris. So do the Panthers have the horses? Maybe so. Hard-to-tackle freshman Rashad Jennings had a phenomenal spring and quick sophomore Brandon Mason wasn't far behind. ... While needing to improve in the blocking department, former receiver Darrell Strong turned heads in practice with some dazzling catches at tight end. ... The D-linemen need to get to the quarterback in Wannstedt's defense and they appear ready to do just that. Senior tackle Thomas Smith looked strong at his new position and young ends Joe Clermond and Chris McKillop should have a major impact. ... Mike Phillips has looked good at strong safety in place of H. B. Blades, who could easily move back there but for now is at middle linebacker, where coaches hope he is putting some pressure on the often-inconsistent Clint Session. ... We can call them Pitt again. Yes, after eight long years, the athletic department has decided to embrace the term "Pitt" once more. Bringing back Johnny Majors for a third go-around is apparently not part of the deal.

Fall Questions: Junior WRs Greg Lee and Joe DelSardo are excellent, but there's a combined five catches behind them. A reliable third and fourth option has yet to be found among the young group. ... If they can stay healthy, the starting five on the O-line are decent. It's the reserves that have the coaching staff worried. The Panthers need to develop some depth here and they also need to shore up their run blocking. When it disappeared last season, the running game naturally went with it. ... The problem in the secondary isn't talent or experience. The Panthers certainly have the latter and they've got at least glimpses of the former. Why, then, did they give up an average of 255 yards through the air last season? That's a question that needs answering this fall. As mentioned before, the existence of a pass rush would help.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2046841&num=3