• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  3,175
  • Days Won:  12

Remember this?

http://thebullspen.com/index.php?/topic/75820-basketball-coach-direction/page__hl__%20fire%20%20stan%20%20heath

Everyone needs to simmer down. It took him 5 years to turn our program around. Football is a different beast, much more difficult to tame, Holtz should get at least 1 more year before we bring back Leavitt :evil:

• Downvote 2

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

Expectations were nonexistent for Heath.

Expectations were in the sky for Holtz. He is the highest paid coach in the BE. We havent won a game at home in 3 years. He has broken/set several bad/negative records. This team hasnt been average under his watch, it has been appalling. I have been trying to defend Holtz for a long time, but I am honestly sick of it. I am sick of listening to the EXACT SAME post-game show week after week. We lost the same exact way every week. We hear the exact same interviews every week. Im over it.

• Upvote 1

Ok good point but "Expectations were in the sky for Holtz.", not for me they weren't. I never expected Holtz to do any better the CJL, I hoped he would do as well while raising the GPA/grad rate etc. but I never thought he would be better. And I think maybe lower expectations for Heath could have something to do with the non-existent fan base for basketball

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

cophbulls...Skip? Is that you?

Get real. We are 1-10 in Big East play in the last 2 seasons alone and will not be going bowling AGAIN this year. CJL got us to bowl games and left CSH a bowl winning team.

Ok good point but "Expectations were in the sky for Holtz.", not for me they weren't. I never expected Holtz to do any better the CJL, I hoped he would do as well while raising the GPA/grad rate etc. but I never thought he would be better. And I think maybe lower expectations for Heath could have something to do with the non-existent fan base for basketball

Or the fact that we hadnt been to the tourney in 15 years and no one wanted to play/coach here. This program was toxic. The football program is headed in that direction. It isnt there yet, but that is where it is facing. The rise of FSU and UF again makes it even harder.

Ok maybe "in the sky" is a little high, but people expected him to win. Maybe you didnt, but everyone expected him to do well and win. After his first season, even after the Cuse hiccup, people still had even higher expectations. "This guy can win and compete with the top schools" is what people thought after the Meineke bowl. My personal expectations are bowl games(6-6) and never lose to a non-BCS opponent besides the juggernauts like BSU and TCU. As long as we dont go lower than this, I will manage. I can live with that. There is no excuse for different results. Our schedule is sooooooooooo weak that 6 wins should be no issue. We had 3 games last year against FCS or non-BCS opponents. That means we only had to win 3 more games. 3. Three. THREE ******* games. We got one good win against ND. So two left and we havent even started conference play. That means we could play UConn & Cuse, two traditionally underperforming teams in this conference. That is your two. There is your bowl game. Everything else is gravy. We lost to one of those teams last year and lost to both in 2010 and maybe both this year. Ill get back to you Saturday night.

Completely agree with you there Ghost, I just didnt expect him to do any better than CJL and I think most people thought we were going BCS bowling with CSH. No doubt whatsoever that this and last year are completely unacceptable but my personal feelings are the more stable a coaching situation the better the team is in the long run. I hope he gets another year here and the university doesn't do anything rash. I hate to say it cause I said it all last year but all of our losses were winnable save FSU and we were playing a lot better than I thought we would. And I realize that yeah, its still a loss, but the big difference between last year and this year is last year we were losing all over the place, first special team, then offense, then defense and then special team and over and over, this year, the losing is being placed, and rightfully so, squarely on the shoulders of the defense.

Yeah, I don't think the football program is toxic, the players have not given up by any stretch and they truly want to play here. 5 years ago, the Bball team didnt give a crap.

Hem, i don't really know what you are implying, CSH is not a better coach than CJL, I never said otherwise.

I agree that coaching stability is important for a program but there has to be some signs of life and improvement. Again, if we could do 6-6 and WIN THE GAME WE ARE SUPPOSED TO WIN then he can keep his job. Just like CJL. He never won conerence championships or anything like that. But 5 straight years of bowling and 4 straight 8 win season is still worthy of keeping your job. You're just a few players and maybe a few schemes away from a conf title. This team gets worse with every game and we dont know what to expect with Holtz. It has becomes expected that we will blow a 4th quarter lead. USF is beating us by two touchdowns with 8 minutes to go? We got em right where we want em. That shouldnt be what the opponents are thinking when we are playing.

Losing every game in literally the exact same way is coaching. Sometimes the coaches make the right call but the players dont execute. But losing so many games in a row in the exact same way is coaching. Imagine if Nevada had an extra minute or two. When players come and go but the team still loses the same way game after game, year after year, that falls on the coaching.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Remember this?

http://thebullspen.com/index.php?/topic/75820-basketball-coach-direction/page__hl__%20fire%20%20stan%20%20heath

Everyone needs to simmer down. It took him 5 years to turn our program around. Football is a different beast, much more difficult to tame, Holtz should get at least 1 more year before we bring back Leavitt :evil:

Crazy banter.

• Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  740
  • Days Won:  3

simmer down my azz... elmer fudd needs to go. NOW. if homecoming drew 28,000 fans, just wait till saturday when it's around 20,000.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  165
  • Days Won:  0

Remember this?

http://thebullspen.c...re stan heath

I HATE when people think this way. COMPLETELY WRONG. expectations of a college football team located in the state of florida with all these recruits are MUCH HIGHER than a college basketball team located in the state of florida. this is a football hotbed, you are expected to win.

Also, Stan Heath, with USF located SO FAR AWAY from america's hotbed of talent (the northeast), has to compete in america's TOUGHEST basketball conference.. AND HE DOES.

Skip Holtz, with USF located IN THE MIDDLE of america's hotbed of talent, has to compete in america's WORST bcs football conference.. AND STILL CAN'T