• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The Herd of Thunder

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  137
  • Content Count:  866
  • Days Won:  0

The Herd of Thunder really needs to step it up.  They were outplayed and outclassed by Louisville, Cincinnati, Memphis, TCU, Charlotte... I could keep going.  When you see what other bands do, you realize how bad we are.  Louisville’s band is singing “you’re not gonna make it, no you ain’t gonna make it†to the tune of Twisted Sister when an opposing player is at the free throw line.  Memphis is bouncing in rhythm while playing their fight song, and they sound great doing it.  Most of the good bands have members leaning left and right in sync when they play.  We just show up and play, and we don’t even do that very well.  Our band needs to do some things besides just play, whether it’s a little choreography or singing or just finding some better tunes that get the crowd involved.  Memphis has this song the entire crowd sings at the first media timeout of the second half that goes something like “I’m so glad I go to U of M,†and the entire crowd does a “WOOOO†thing at some point.  It’s really good.  I don’t even want to think about the FAMU game next year… do we even let them dress?

If we’re going to build tradition, maybe the band coming up with something is a great place to start.  The Number 8 song they play which gets everyone waving the bull horns is very good… but other than that we’re very much left lacking.  I don’t know if they need more money or a new direction, but I’d like to see us do something.  Anyone from the band on here?  

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

i think the biggest question on my mind is.....

did they play bohemian rhapsody??

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

The Turd Asunder...

• Topic Count:  131
  • Content Count:  3,097
  • Days Won:  1

as a former member of the Herd of Thunder (for the 2003 football season, I quit due to academic reasons), I do agree that the band needs more funding.  For as much work as members put into a season (whether it be f-ball, b-ball or both) they deserve more money thatn the 300-350? dollar stipend that they get per season.  also, remember that the band is less than 10 years old, many other college bands are decades older, give our band time, i know they're in a slump now, but all teams (and bands) go through times like this.

• Topic Count:  137
  • Content Count:  866

Uh... fortunately no.

By the way props to the Sun Dolls, as opposing fans were coming up to us and asking "are the Sun Dolls here?"  They were once again the hit of the party.  Nice job once again ladies ;D

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1,433

They are definitely getting better, but agreed, long way to go.  It really is a function of the director...if he doesn't understand game environment how can the Band.  (I liked the Turd Asunder thing, but that wasn't nice by the way.)  I have never been to an opposing school's venue that their band didn't do a better job of building the spirit than ours does.  The band drives it and the director needs to drive it for them.  I think we have a new director coming in this year...I'm kind of confused on what's going on with the Band at this point.  Hopefully, we'll find someone who's been affiliated with a good athletic program and understands the role.  No more artsy shows...it's just not appropriate for football season.

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

The H.O.T. puts everyone to sleep.

We'll have at least two bands coming into RJS this Fall that know how to get it done, the UCF always sound sharp and of course FAMU, assuming they can still afford to have a band.

The artsy programs are just terrible.......just terrible.  

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,848
  • Days Won:  22

Bands are very important to the college games its one of the things that makes college football more fun than the NFL to me. I hope that the Herd of Thunder improves and gets the support it needs.If we are going to become a big time college player we need all the trappings that go with it, band cheerleaders etc as well as players.

• Topic Count:  597
  • Content Count:  6,557
  • Days Won:  3

A little birdie told me that there is all sorts of fundraising issues for the band.  Even if one was to donate money for the band, it probably would not end up in their hands.  Stuck in the tape.