• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

How many members are in the HoT?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

HOT, just like the rest of the athletic program, lacks in tradition. 3 (or 4) directors in 16 years....Kinda makes it hard to establish much of anything. The first director, Sid Haton came from Oregon and recognized what a college marching band should be. The 2nd director, Michael Robinson and his #1 guy Steve Visnage came with more of a drum corps/competitive marching mentality. Hopefully, Dr. McCutcheon has a little better of an idea of what a college marching band should be...

He doesn't... and lack of tradition is no excuse for lack of focus, pride and just doing it the right way. All of these kids have been in marching band before... most of them in good HS programs or they wouldn't have been able to get into the USF school of music... They know what's required.

You dont have to be in the SoM to be in the marching band.

Hell, you dont have to be a student at USF. You can enroll as a "Non-Degree Seeking Student" at USF and take the class.

You don't even have to enroll, you just don't get paid. Do they still offer a stipend?

Heck, there wasn't even an audition.

Yes... they get a stipend.

$200 first year member

$500 returning member

$600 leadership member

The money really isnt worth the time they put in....Two-Three 3 hour practices during the week, plus giving up a half-dozen Saturdays during the semester.

Nobody is doing it for the money.

I wish they had stipends when I did it! I wonder when they implemented that change.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

This is how it should be done. They arent big at all. This is the kind of stuff our band needs to try. Stop playing boring ass classic songs. Not to say those songs arent great, but they arent going to get anyone dancing or keep anyone in their seat to watch your show. Be contemporary!! Throw in a classic song here or there.

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  1,633
  • Days Won:  0

HOT, just like the rest of the athletic program, lacks in tradition. 3 (or 4) directors in 16 years....Kinda makes it hard to establish much of anything. The first director, Sid Haton came from Oregon and recognized what a college marching band should be. The 2nd director, Michael Robinson and his #1 guy Steve Visnage came with more of a drum corps/competitive marching mentality. Hopefully, Dr. McCutcheon has a little better of an idea of what a college marching band should be...

He doesn't... and lack of tradition is no excuse for lack of focus, pride and just doing it the right way. All of these kids have been in marching band before... most of them in good HS programs or they wouldn't have been able to get into the USF school of music... They know what's required.

You dont have to be in the SoM to be in the marching band.

Hell, you dont have to be a student at USF. You can enroll as a "Non-Degree Seeking Student" at USF and take the class.

You don't even have to enroll, you just don't get paid. Do they still offer a stipend?

Heck, there wasn't even an audition.

Yes... they get a stipend.

$200 first year member

$500 returning member

$600 leadership member

The money really isnt worth the time they put in....Two-Three 3 hour practices during the week, plus giving up a half-dozen Saturdays during the semester.

Nobody is doing it for the money.

I wish they had stipends when I did it! I wonder when they implemented that change.

I was in the band from 2000-2003 and we always had stipends. Not as high as they are now....But it was there. $400 for all members and then another $1500 (I think) if you made the Pep Band.