• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The NUMBER ONE key to beating Nevada on Saturday will be..

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

To score more points than they do.

Lol couldn't resist.

Ditto

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Overall we should have more talent than they do. Players need to play to their talent level and we should be fine.

• Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  740
  • Days Won:  3

not going to lie, i'm a little worried the players will get winded and worn out like they did at Pitt last year. Hopefully, our improved depth alleviates this problem.

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  3,749

not going to lie, i'm a little worried the players will get winded and worn out like they did at Pitt last year. Hopefully, our improved depth alleviates this problem.

didn't someone say the team was beat up with the flu that week that had been spreading like wildfire?

• Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  740

didn't someone say the team was beat up with the flu that week that had been spreading like wildfire?

yes but I meant I'm a little worried something similar might happen because of the altitude. (the team just being gassed.) I'm hoping we have a good rotation to keep people fresh. has anyone heard if there will be oxygen tanks on the sidelines?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

there are always oxygen tanks on the sidelines of every game-- even home games

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  45
  • Days Won:  0

The one arguement that really pisses me off is when people saying we have more talent so we should win just because they are in a BCS conference. That is just spewing ESPN and CBS jargon. Why even play the games then? I guess Nevada should just call in and not show because they are facing a more "talented" team.

Any team can beat any team on any given day and not a lot can be based on talent. You have different breaks that happen in the game that affects the outcome of a game.

However based on that I think the big key to the game will be turnovers if either team turns the ball over a lot than that team will be in trouble.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

The one arguement that really pisses me off is when people saying we have more talent so we should win just because they are in a BCS conference. That is just spewing ESPN and CBS jargon. Why even play the games then? I guess Nevada should just call in and not show because they are facing a more "talented" team.

Any team can beat any team on any given day and not a lot can be based on talent. You have different breaks that happen in the game that affects the outcome of a game.

However based on that I think the big key to the game will be turnovers if either team turns the ball over a lot than that team will be in trouble.

with our fans-- it is usually one of two things

1) they over estimate how talented we are

or

2) they are used to our talent failing to deliver

I wouldn't take it as a slight against your team. It is said versus many teams we play and is not necessarily meaningful unless we are playing someone terrible or an FCS team-- which Nevada is not. We know this is a tough game in front of us. Some of us even remember not being in a BCS conference (less than a decade) or even being a 1-A team (about ten years now of our 15 years in existence).

we are hardly a team that should be acting like we are god's gift after last year or in general for that matter.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Certainly no disrespect meant. Especially given the fact that our team has made a reputation over the years of showing up and beating higher ranked teams every (Pitt in 2001 when we were not BCS, Auburn, #2 WVU, FSU, Miami, Notre Dame, etc).

The point I was trying to make was that a difference between teams from BCS conference teams and non BCS teams is that typically BCS teams are able to recruit more higher rated players out of HS/Juco. Therefore providing "better" talent with depth at most positions.

We definitely saw a jump in talent level when we made the jump into the BE.

For whatever it is worth, just looking over the rosters our roster is now made up of a bunch of 3 star recruits out of HS mixed in with a handful of 4 star players including Giddins who was considered one of the top DEs in the country and is beginning to come into his own.

That being said, when it comes down to it, player's star rankings make nothing once they get on the field. They have to develop and perform. However, you would think that a team supposedly comprised top to bottom with higher rated athletes should provide better depth across the roster. I normally take player rankings with a grain of salt. Some work out, some do not develop. Some lower rated prospects develop into better players. Taken as a group, though I believe there should be more talent and depth on the team with more higher rated athletes.

Getting back to the game; you are correct there are a lot of factors that go into how the game is played, won or lost. Coaching, team preparation, team motivation, odd plays, etc.

Quite honestly, if it is a close game down the stretch (and we have been involved in a lot of close games since Holtz has been here) the jury is still out on the game management and play calling of our coaching staff.

After the disaster last year, a lot has been made about the team leadership, experience and team motivation. If it is a close game going into the fourth quarter anything can happen.