• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Thuriere, Griffiths Score in First Tune-Up

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,330
  • Content Count:  97,047
  • Days Won:  469

Thuriere, Griffiths Score in First Tune-Up

http://www.gousfbull...TCLID=205590511

By KY-SHON HEPBURN

Special to GoUSFBulls.com

TAMPA – The Bulls were able to showcase their offseason growth during their first exhibition game against Jacksonville on Tuesday night.“

I was pleased with the performance, but I feel like we have a lot of work to do,” said head coach George Kiefer.

USF scored two goals to defeat Jacksonville, 2-1, in its first test of the season at Corbett Soccer Stadium.

“I think we scored two very good goals,” said Kiefer. “We earned them.”

USF took an early 1-0 advantage on a header by senior Sebastien Thuriere after a double-assist by Ben Sweat and Stiven Salinas. Senior Brenton Griffiths followed with a header of his own to extend the Bulls lead to 2-0. Lucas Baldin and Samuel Hosseini were both credited with an assist on the goal.

“It came straight to me and I just concentrated and put it on target,” said Thuriere.

USF controlled the ball on both ends for majority of the game holding Jacksonville to only one goal.

“It’s good to see the product of our training and come out here and get a win,” said Thuriere.

Freshman Gavin Craig scored the lone goal for Jacksonville with 12 minutes left to cut the Bulls lead in half 2-1. Ivo Lima and Nathan Dalton picked up an assist on the goal for the Dolphins.

The Bulls will face the University of Tampa for the annual Rowdies' Cup in their final preseason home game Saturday at 7:30 p.m.

“Tampa is a very good team and I know it will be a good test for us,” said Kiefer. “I look forward to the game.”

The Bulls will get their season underway in a nationally televised game against Michigan on Fox Soccer Channel on Friday, Aug. 24 at Corbett Soccer Stadium.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  714
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

Was at the game and was very impressed with the team. The thing that stuck out the most was our speed; we just flew past JU's players to win the ball, and several times out-muscled them or just made them look silly with our ball handling. JU's one goal came on a defensive miscommunication late in the game when we were rotating players in and out to get playing time, so it doesn't bother me too much.

Crowd size was decent. Nice little group from JU there (looked like a lot of parents) who even tailgated. Small group of USF students, but good since school is still 2 weeks away. Also, the Goalmouths got props from the JU goalkeepers for "being the best they've ever had behind them".

• Topic Count:  91
  • Content Count:  1,716
  • Days Won:  9

The speed and strength definitely stuck out. The JU coach was constantly shouting "be strong" because our guys were easily out-muscling them. I loved that we used the width of the field last night. Its something that we didn't see enough of in the Rowdies and Orlando City scrimmages, in my opinion.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  182
  • Days Won:  2

How did the keeper look? Biggest concern this season, imo.

• Topic Count:  714
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

How did the keeper look? Biggest concern this season, imo.

He wasn't challenged much, so it was difficult to say. We controlled the ball so much and kept it on their half, that JU only got a few shots on goal. As I said, if not for the one defensive miscommunication in the second half we would have had a clean sheet. And the keeper almost got that crossing header as well, but just a hair late. If we control the ball like we did last night, it will certainly help our keeper out.