• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Signee Javontae Hawkins to Appear in Slam Dunk Championship on CBS

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

sweet

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

USF recruit in dunk contest

Posted Mar 26, 2012 by Joey Johnston

Updated Mar 26, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Incoming University of South Florida men’s basketball recruit Javontae Hawkins, a 6-foot-5 guard from Huntington (W.Va.) Prep, will participate in Friday’s American Family Insurance High School Slam Dunk Championship, held in conjunction with the Final Four at New Orleans. The contest will be shown Sunday afternoon at 4:30 on CBS (and it will have several encore presentations on the CBS College Sports Network).

Hawkins grew up in Flint, Mich., a recruiting hotbed for USF coach Stan Heath during his days as Tom Izzo’s assistant with the Michigan State Spartans. Last season, he played for Huntington Prep, an AAU-like basketball organization, while attending school at St. Joseph’s Central Catholic in Huntington.

The complete slam-dunk roster:

* Dalante Dunklin, 5-11, San Diego (UC-Santa Barbara).

* Savon Goodman, 6-7, Philadelphia, (unsigned).

* Javontae Hawkins, 6-5, Huntington, W.Va. (USF).

* Je’lon Hornbeak, 6-4, Arlington, Texas (Oklahoma).

* Demarquise Johnson, 6-5, Phoenix, Ariz. (Washington State).

* Shaquille Johnson, 6-4, Alpharetta, Ga. (Auburn).

* J.P. Tokoto, 6-6, Menomonee, Wisc. (North Carolina).

* Wally Ellenson, 6-4, Rice Lake, Wisc. (Minnesota).

http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/comments/usf-recruit-in-dunk-contest/

• Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

He has a very good chance to win. The boy has hang time that we will see on display. Thanks to the OP and MamaBull for putting this up because I forgot to a couple of days ago.

Dalante Dunklin...with a last name like that maybe he should be the favorite.

Javontae showed off a couple of flashy moves in this video

Flint's JaVontae Hawkins will compete in the American Family Insurance High School Slam Dunk competition on CBS this weekend

Published: Tuesday, March 27, 2012, 12:10 PM

By Eric Woodyard | ewoodyar@mlive.com The Flint Journal

Flint native and University of South Florida basketball commit JaVontae Hawkins has been selected to participate in the American Family Insurance High School Slam Dunk competition this weekend.

FLINT, MI – JaVontae Hawkins better get his routine down quickly because time is running out.

The Flint native and University of South Florida basketball commit has been selected to participate in the American Family Insurance High School Slam Dunk competition.

The dunk contest will take place at the Alario Center in New Orleans on Friday, March 30 at 8 p.m. ET. but won't air on CBS until Sunday at 4:30 p.m. on Final Four weekend.

He gladly accepted the challenge to display his aerial onslaught to a national audience.

"It was a random call to my coach (Rob Fulford) at Huntington Prep and he told me I was selected to be in the dunk contest and he asked me if I wanted to participate so I just gave him a yes and that's how it began," said Hawkins. "I don't [know] what I will do yet but whatever I do it will be pretty exciting. I'll probably have a little surprise but I don't know."

Hawkins left Flint Powers after his junior campaign as a four-star recruit. He used his final year of basketball eligibility at Huntington Prep in Huntington, W. Va.

This past season, Hawkins averaged 13.5 points and five rebounds despite playing with three other Division I signees and pushing through a concussion, a dislocated elbow and turf toe.

Hawkins' season-high was 32 points and the Express ended the year with a 28-2 overall record, ranked No. 6 on the USA Today's Top 25 poll.

As Hawkins gets ready to make the leap from high school to college, he's proud of the decision he made to leave his hometown.

"Being from Flint, it's hard to get an opportunity and some people aren't blessed enough to get recruited by high major schools," said Hawkins. "By me moving here (to prep school), it just improved my game, my leadership skills, and me being a great teammate on and off-the-court but down the road if a person of comes along with the same caliber of talent as me, I would always suggest attending prep school because it will help you become a great college player."

Hawkins became one of the highest-rated recruits to ever sign with USF when he committed last October. He officially signed with the Bulls in November of 2011.

USF was one of the 25 schools who offered a hoops scholarship to the 6-foot-5, 205-pound shooting guard.

Huntington Prep coach Rob Fulford feels that Hawkins will make an immediate impact at USF as a freshman. The Bulls will be looking to build off of this year's NCAA Tournament run with a much improved Hawkins on the roster.

He's ready to explode.

"Obviously from an athletic standpoint JaVontae is an elite athlete and when he first came here that's what stood out," said Fulford. "But one of the things that we he had to get him to do was to take his time when he first got here but once he bought into that he really improved and he was already very good but I think he's just fine-tuned his game a little bit."

http://www.mlive.com/sports/flint/index.ssf/2012/03/flints_javontae_hawkins_will_c.html

• Content Count:  245
  • Days Won:  1

It's nice to finally land a big recruit. Times are sure changing for USF men's basketball.

"USF was one of the 25 schools who offered a hoops scholarship to the 6-foot-5, 205-pound shooting guard."

Archived