• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Heath asking more of Robertson

Vega

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

Stan Heath has had a limited roster to work with through the early part of the season with a few players out with injuries, but one available player the USF men’s basketball coach is looking to get more out of going forward is senior guard Hugh Robertson.

“I definitely feel like there’s more things he can do, especially from an offensive standpoint than what he’s doing,” said Heath, whose team hosts Georgia Southern on Wednesday night at the St. Pete Times Forum. “He’s been good defensively, but I thought last year he was very good, and so I do think he’s a guy we can get more out of.

“I don’t know what’s kind of tinkering around in the head right now, why he’s not where he’s supposed to be, but we definitely want to encourage him to give us more.”

Robertson made perhaps his biggest impact last season on the defensive end and spent most of his time guarding the opposition’s best perimeter player, but he also averaged a respectable 8.3 points per game.

Through five games this season, however, he’s yet to find his stride offensively. Robertson is averaging just 5.8 points per game in 27 minutes of action and has yet to score in double figures, which he did 13 times last season.

Of course, one can’t score points without shooting the ball, and that seems to be Robertson’s biggest problem thus far. He’s attempted only 23 shots this season, and Heath wants to see Robertson be more assertive on the offensive end and take the open shots when he has them.

“He’s playing close to 25 minutes a game and I think he’s taken four 3-point shots, and I know he’s been open a lot more than just four times to take those kind of shots,” Heath said. “I’ve not told him not to shoot the ball. I certainly have said in different ways we need you to be more productive offensively.

“Everybody has their own makeup. I don’t know if he sees himself as a shooter-scorer, but I definitely don’t think he can’t look at himself as a guy who’s not an offensive player and then we start playing 5-on-4 basketball.”

—-Heath said the left shoulder injury senior forward Augustus Gilchrist is not believed to be serious. Gilchrist, second on the team in both scoring and rebounding this season, is questionable to play against Georgia Southern on Wednesday, though Heath said he expects him back in the lineup no later than Saturday against Florida Atlantic.

Also, freshman point guard Anthony Collins, who has been out while nursing a hamstring injury, is expected to make his Bulls debut Wednesday against the Eagles.

http://www.tboblogs....hp/sports/C127/

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,671
  • Days Won:  424

Also, freshman point guard Anthony Collins, who has been out while nursing a hamstring injury, is expected to make his Bulls debut Wednesday against the Eagles.

Something to make the trek downtown tomorrow a little more interesting ...

• Content Count:  3,084

Heath said. “I’ve not told him not to shoot the ball. I certainly have said in different ways we need you to be more productive offensively.

If you want him to score more, maybe you should tell him to shoot the ball more.

This isnt encouraging, basketball is a 100% confidence game. Doesnt seem like Robertson is feeling it.

Instead of talking to the papers and blaming the kid for not scoring, run some plays for him. Tell him he cant be stopped. Encourage the kid.

sounds like a close to the situation, in the public, example of a bad coaching habit. No one likes to be called out if front of their teammates , let alone publically. bad move.

• Content Count:  5,982

Heath said. “I’ve not told him not to shoot the ball. I certainly have said in different ways we need you to be more productive offensively.

If you want him to score more, maybe you should tell him to shoot the ball more.

This isnt encouraging, basketball is a 100% confidence game. Doesnt seem like Robertson is feeling it.

Instead of talking to the papers and blaming the kid for not scoring, run some plays for him. Tell him he cant be stopped. Encourage the kid.

sounds like a close to the situation, in the public, example of a bad coaching habit. No one likes to be called out if front of their teammates , let alone publically. bad move.

I feel sorry for Robertson and every other player on the roster( except Gilchrist) who are trapped in a system that doesn't fit there strengths as a basketball player.

Heath is one of the worse head coaches in D1 basketball. Unfortunately there is little to no pressure on him to change his approach, because USF lacks to fan support and tough media that will make him hear and understand the criticism about the poor head coaching job he's doing. If USF had that he would already be gone.

Archived