• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

new USL team coming to Tampa and playing at USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  684
  • Days Won:  0

• Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

I'll give it 5 years.

• Content Count:  684
  • Days Won:  0

article mentions:

Then in 2013 VSI will launch their first pro soccer team with a USL PRO expansion team that will play in the Tampa area.

any reason why you think it would be 5 years?

Nah, just a thought. The Mutiny didn't work out so well last time. I hope there would be a good market for a new USL team.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

USL is a lower league so the tickets won't be nearly as expensive, and niether will the stadium rental. It's got a shot, but I wouldn't be totally surprised if you're right.

Yeah, lower league + cheaper tickets usually = inferior product. Although up here, the Atlanta Thrashers hockey team failed and moved, but we have minor league farm team for the Thrashers (now Winnipeg Jets I guess) that does pretty well called the Gwinnett Gladiators. I guess you never really know until you try.

• Content Count:  3,096
  • Days Won:  1

This should be interesting with FC Tampa Bay playing in a competing league across the bay in St. Pete. From what I understood, FCTB prefers a Hillsborough County location, but St Pete provided a suitable venue for the time being until a soccer-specific stadium can be built.

• Content Count:  3,116
  • Days Won:  7

Hey, well, we're cheaper than the Bucs, yet somehow we have a more competitive team than they do.

Seriously-no one wants to watch that Bucs team right now.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

I'm against this for multiple reasons.

1. Our pitch is going to suffer... by the end of this season was already patchy just with the mens and women's teams playing on it... adding a third is a bad idea unless we're going to an artificial surface.

2. FCTB is having enough of an issue finding fans to go to their games now... USL is actually D3 so it'll be a lower product than we already have. I don't see the fan base.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

Yeah, lower league + cheaper tickets usually = inferior product. Although up here, the Atlanta Thrashers hockey team failed and moved, but we have minor league farm team for the Thrashers (now Winnipeg Jets I guess) that does pretty well called the Gwinnett Gladiators. I guess you never really know until you try.

The key is, inferior to what? If no one has anything to gauge it against, it can't be inferrior. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I'd bet there aren't that many people here in the bay area that are familiar enough with European, or South American soccer to compare the American teams. Personally I don't like the MLS (Mutiny) very much, and the NASL (FCTB) is too expensive for me to justify driving accross the bay to watch them play in a baseball stadium. Now drive to USF to watch a team play in the incredible facility that we have is a different story. The problem that they have is, are there enough of "me".

Archived