• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

New Big East > ACC

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Yo! Has anyone even accepted a bid to join the conference yet? Officially? I haven't seen any official press releases, but there are 2 or 3 threads on here that make it sound like this is a done deal (except for the 7th invite). Did I miss an official announcement?

Have invites even gone out officially?

Yes.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  74,673
  • Days Won:  424

good post cophbulls.

And besides West Virginia, this conference isnt losing anything.

Navy > Pitt

Anybody > Syracuse

BSU > WVU

Not this again .... What are you basing that on ..... school colors?

I would assume he would likely be talking about football and recent performance for what it matters moving forward. I'm not sure where I see how he's off, what would you argument against be?

Navy's had a better record and more bowl appearances than Pitt has over the past 5 years. I think it would be easy to argue that Houston's been better than Syracuse over the past 5 years, and Boise has easily been better than WVU over the past 5 years. Now 10-20 years back, you might have an argument, but not sure how the Donavan McNabb era of Syracuse football is really relevant now.

The recent football performance you're looking at for the 3 new guys is based on playing, for the most part, an inferior scheduleso you're not comparing apples to apples.

I can give Navy and Pitt a wash for the past 5 years but who's got the better upside going forward? Is Navy's recruiting going to improve with the new realignment? Pitt got rid of the anchor of the previous coaching staff and is going to a better conference than they were in. Not sure how you can't say Pitt's upside is higher.

How has Boise been "easily been better than WVU over the past 5 years"? Both beat Oklahoma in a BCS Bowl over the last 5 years and while BSU beat TCU in a BCS Bowl, they also lost to ECU in a bowl, so they negate each other. Also, over the last 5 years WVU's SOS averaged 43 while BSU's averaged 95. For recent performance this another worst case scenario wash... and going forward, WVU's moving to a vastly better conference which should help their recruiting and it reamins to be seen how BSU does with a fairly significant jump up in their SOS.

And far as Syracuse goes, Ghost put "Anybody > Syracuse" which means anybody we'd be adding is a better choice than them and before 2010 that may have been a valid statement but Cuse, like Pitt, is under new management and their future looks pretty bright at this point ...

Trip your usually one of the more reasonable ones, but cmon.

One, I agree with Data in I'm assuming the comparison was more in lines that we won't lose a beat with the new teams (meaning comparing how Pitt, Cuse and WVU would have done in the Big East to how the new teams will perform in the Big East).

For Pitt, Navy, I'll go with an = rather than a > for recent performance, but disagree with upside. What upside does Pitt have exactly? They use to be a power back in the late 70s/early 80s but those days have long passed. Since 1990 (21 seasons), Pitt has finished ranked only 3 times over that time span. They've been through several coaches since then, and still never showed that they will ever be a national power again. People like to bash us, but Pitt came into the "new Big East" as one of the most established programs left yet failed to ever with the Big East conference outright since the new format. Their upside at the most is a fringe top 25 team every few years. Don't see how thats drastically better than Navy. And I'm not sure how the new coaches seem to indicate a move forward for them. Wanny while a poor coach, had no problems bringing in the talent. They arguably have the most talent of any Big East team right now, yet they sit at 4-4. Not sure I see a positive trend there.

As far as WVU v Boise. One, I have no idea how a bowl loss to ECU negates a Fiesta bowl win. They have 2 BCS bowl victories over the past 5 years, WVU has one. The final rankings over the past 5 years for WVU (#10, #6, #26, #22, #29) averaged #18.6, for Boise (#6, #29, #13, #4, #7) averaged #11.8. This year Boise is likely to again finish in the top 10 with their 3rd BCS bowl appearance, while WVU struggles to stay ranked. If you're only argument is SOS, than thats not a very strong argument. Boise's had a better record, more BCS bowl victories, and a better perception (ranking) than WVU over that time. All of that without the benefit of the BCS tag. Give Chris Peterson BCS access, more money, and more exposure in the eastern time zone and I'll put my money on Boise being better over WVU all day long.

As for the Cuse, he did say anyone, so I'll give ya that. I dont think SMU and Air Force will necessarily have the upside of the Cuse. But one good season for them over the past decade (and that one good season was an 8-5 season, nothing great) doesn't indicate that much of a progression for them. I don't see how in football they have much more upside than a UCF or Houston (with BCS tag and money), both of which I can argue were better than the Cuse over the past 5 years.

My rationale on Navy-Pitt is that, basically, there's no real built in reason why Pitt CAN'T improve under this new regime. If Wanny could get good recruits there, Graham should be able to also and he can't be a worse field coach than Wannstedt. They do have some history, as ancient as it is, and tradition to try and draw on. Navy is what it is. By the nature of the type program they are, joining this conference is not going to all of a sudden give them a jump in recruiting. They are a solid program right now but I just don't see any real big upside.

You're not giving enough weight to the huge difference in SOS between WVU and BSU, 43 to 95, in those 5 years. If you, conservatively, switch just one game a year if the SOS's were reversed, change a win to a loss for BSU and a loss to a win for WVU, the records are almost the same over that span .... so there's no way I'm buying that BSU has easily been better over those 5 years. They were helped tremendously by the hype of the one solid regular season victory per year. However, I will have to give you that their upside is better based on their bigger jump up in class and what they've already accomplished where they are.

Archived