• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Basketball = Achilles Heel

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  880
  • Days Won:  0

Anyone feel that one reason we're not at the top of the list for any conference is the absolute dismal history of our basketball program?  I know that this is more a money grab than anything, but I cannot help but think that if we had any sort of baskeball success in the last 20 years, we might have a better chance at getting in somewhere?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

I think it still boils down to "commuter school" clap trap.

• Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

i think part of the reason Pitt and Cuse got into the ACC so fast is because of their basketball programs but I don't think that is necessarily what is keeping us out.

I think it has more to do with our overall national recognition.

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

I do agree.  Basketball stinking it up isn't helping things.  Coach K stated as much.  Not specifically mentioning us, but saying the ACC wants teams with rich bball traditions.  Pitt/Cuse/Uconn all fit the bill.  If we get into one of the 16 team conferences, it is b/c of Doug/Judy and the football program and the tampa/st pete market, and in spite our hoops program.

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

The ACC needs to be careful catering to the basketball interests (see Big East).

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

As long as they have the U, what could possibly go wrong?

• Content Count:  3,802

The ACC needs to be careful catering to the basketball interests (see Big East).

It's different. At least their members both play in the same division for basketball and football. This hybrid crap the Big East employs is ridiculous.

It's time for the Big East to do the measures it never wanted: boot the non-football schools and Notre Dame. And, proactively invite any members of other conferences that make sense and have a national athletic dept (e.g. Missouri, Kansas). Even if it means unequal revenue sharing for the new conference torchberrers.

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

It's different. At least their members both play in the same division for basketball and football. This hybrid crap the Big East employs is ridiculous.

It's time for the Big East to do the measures it never wanted: boot the non-football schools and Notre Dame. And, proactively invite any members of other conferences that make sense and have a national athletic dept (e.g. Missouri, Kansas). Even if it means unequal revenue sharing for the new conference torchberrers.

I'm pretty sure it would be the football schools leaving.  The Big East name would stay with the basketball schools.

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

No one gives a crap about basketball, the only conference that gives a **** about it was the Big East and you see where that got us. The achilles heel of the Big East is basketball, had they kicked out the basketball only schools after adding TCU, and then added some more football schools then I don't think this would had occurred. Hell even the Syracuse and Pitt commish's stated this... as did the Miami, VT, and BC Commish's back when they left.

It all boils down to geography... the only 2 geographic fits for us would be the SEC or the ACC... the ACC has 2 Florida schools and does not want another one. The SEC has 1 big ***** Florida school that does not want the Bulls in the SEC because we would eventually over take them, they would prefer FSU but since the ACC raised the buy out clause to $20 Million that is a bridge too far.

Thus why we are stuck in limbo... we are not leaving the SS. Big Easy unless the SEC takes FSU or Miami gets the death penalty, then we might have a shot at the ACC.

• Content Count:  3,802

I'm pretty sure it would be the football schools leaving.  The Big East name would stay with the basketball schools.

Then, we need to get hitched to the Big XII wagon as quickly as possible.

I don't think a hybrid Big XII/Big East + TCU model is any worse than the current Big East in football. It just needs Missouri and Kansas' athletic departments to get us similar clout that Pitt/Syracuse had. Neither of those schools were actually football powers anymore, but they are national institutions. If we just replace them with Baylor and UCF we're done.

Heck, if expansion is truly done for the other conferences, the Big XII is still pretty good, and if they want a FL team we should be aboard :).

Archived