• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The UNC Implosion

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

wow

bring him to usf as dc

• Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

maybe, but mark snyder is just as good if not better.

already hearing UNC crazies on message boards (espn mostly) calling for candidates, and some of them are trying to throw skip's name out there. while I can see that UNC is more recognizable than USF and may have more money to throw at him, I think USF has a better gig here in Tampa with the recruiting strides he's making, and being close to family. He wouldn't leave after his 2nd year.

And the UNC AD is stepping down today..UNC will also pay the buyout for Davis. They're financially shafted now. Good luck getting anyone of value in, esp if any more sanctions come down from the NCAA.

I'd see them going after retreads like Friedgen or Randy Shannon. Maybe a big coordinator like Kirby Smart or Gus Malzahn. Even heard O'Leary's name thrown out there, but none of this will come to pass until the end of the season at the earliest.

• Content Count:  151
  • Days Won:  0

It's going to be a while before they even start looking for coaches.  First they're going to find a new Athletic Director.  Whoever they name as interim coach will probably have the job all season.  I'm not even going to guess who they might look at when that time comes, but I'm sure it will be an established coach or coordinator that's already has an impressive resume. 

I don't see them taking a gamble on a young coach that is supposedly up and coming.

• Content Count:  1,741

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. -- A day after firing football coach Butch Davis, North Carolina also will start searching for a new athletic director.

**** Baddour said Thursday he plans to step down after 14 years as soon as the school can hire a replacement. Entering the final year of a three-year contract that expires next June, Baddour said it's important for his successor to name the next football coach instead of inheriting a hire.

"It is my responsibility to do what is in the best interest of the program, and this is my decision," Baddour said in a news conference to discuss Davis' firing a day earlier.

Tar Heels Take Step Backwards

North Carolina's decision to fire its football coach a week before training camp will cost the program for years, and in more than just wins, writes Heather Dinich. Blog

Chancellor Holden Thorp said Baddour will attend the school's hearing before the NCAA infractions committee in October, then serve out the rest of his contract in another position. Baddour took over in 1997 after John Swofford left to become commissioner of the Atlantic Coast Conference.

"It was pretty evident to me as the decision unfolded that that's in the best interest of the football program," Baddour said. "That's a realization that if you're in this business, your head football coach needs to know who the athletic director is going to be. With me knowing this is going to be my final year, you want the field to be as best as possible and the way to do that is to do what I'm doing."

"[Thorp] and I have had conversations about staying beyond that date to help stabilize the program after the NCAA made its ruling," Baddour added. "However, as someone who has hired coaches for the past 14 years, I know that it's even more imperative that my successor be able to name the next permanent head coach."

Baddour's sooner-than-expected departure is the latest development in a bumpy year for the Tar Heels. NCAA investigators arrived on campus last July looking into improper benefits, but that probe late expanded to include academic misconduct and created a massive distraction for a program seeking to contend for the ACC championship and a BCS bowl.

[+] Enlarge

AP Photo/Gerry BroomeDick Baddour said he is stepping down so North Carolina's next athletic director can hire the Tar Heels' next football coach.

In all, 14 players missed at least one game and seven were forced to sit out the entire season. The NCAA sent a notice of allegations last month outlining nine potential major violations within the program.

Thorp admitted Davis' firing was "terrible" timing considering it comes with about a week before players begin preseason practice, but said he had been mulling the move for weeks and decided it couldn't wait any longer. Thorp and Baddour had been publicly supportive of Davis for the past year, so much so that Davis said Monday at the ACC's preseason media days that it had been "reassuring" to have their backing.

"We tried to hold things together and restore confidence in the football program, and I felt in order for us to have a fair chance for that, I would have to support coach Davis," Thorp said. "I've come to the conclusion that we've given that enough time and now it's time for us to take the actions that we're taking."

Thorp said the university could owe Davis as much as $2.7 million in contractual obligations. He said he didn't believe that Davis knew about any potential violations, but that the investigation was doing too much damage to the school's reputation.

The school is interviewing internal candidates to serve as interim coach. Baddour said he hoped to have one in place by Friday.

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

Dang man, that's gonna cost UNC for a long time.

• Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

What a mess!  UNC just did a disservice to their football players, if they were going to make a change they should have done it alot sooner.  They will hire someone else's leftovers as head coach.

• Content Count:  1,741

• 1 month later...

• Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  2

maybe, but mark snyder is just as good if not better.

already hearing UNC crazies on message boards (espn mostly) calling for candidates, and some of them are trying to throw skip's name out there. while I can see that UNC is more recognizable than USF and may have more money to throw at him, I think USF has a better gig here in Tampa with the recruiting strides he's making, and being close to family

I cannot speak for what Holtz will or would not do but I can say that UNC is only better in name brand only.  The beatdowns USF put on them in 2006 and 2007 say that the USF product is actually a better buy.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

nc plays rutgers this week

usf is a better football job

Archived