• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Terrell McClain

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

Why does it matter if he's big enough to be a NT in a 3-4? The Panthers run a 4-3 if I'm not mistaken.

• Content Count:  957
  • Days Won:  1

We'll see.  Terrell McClain has some athletic prowess and he's impressed me at times, but I don't see him becoming a great pro.  He's kind of a one-trick pony and doesn't possess great flexibility or pure strength.  He beats you off the first move of he doesn't beat you.

I really thought Mistral Raymond was the most pro caliber player on the USF defense, even back when I couldn't find Mistral ranked anywhere among the Draft sites.  I still expect him to be the best pro in the coming years.  It's not just the athletic prowess, it's the full story, leadership, brains, work ethic.  He's already taken a leadership role with teammates in Minnesota.

The guy who would interest me at defensive tackle is Sampson Genus.  Super wide body, potential space-eater.  He could move and play a position that is attainable for him in the NFL relative to his body type and athletic prowess.  Terrell McClain is more the guy with an uphill battle because the position and function he'll try and fill on a team is usually reserved for really special players.  Genus on the other hand could work back on the defensive side of the line and be another Antonio Garay or Ogemdi Nwagbuo.

But don't let me get you too down on Terrell.  I know some scouts that were/are pretty high on T-Mac.  My opinion is just one among many.

• Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

^ It's not OK to be high on T-Mac now? We'll see this year what he can do on a team without 900 LB's.

I'm also not sure how Genus projects to being a better DT than McClain. I'm not very impressed with the measurables you seem to be gushing over.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

We'll see.  Terrell McClain has some athletic prowess and he's impressed me at times, but I don't see him becoming a great pro.  He's kind of a one-trick pony and doesn't possess great flexibility or pure strength.  He beats you off the first move of he doesn't beat you.

I really thought Mistral Raymond was the most pro caliber player on the USF defense, even back when I couldn't find Mistral ranked anywhere among the Draft sites.  I still expect him to be the best pro in the coming years.  It's not just the athletic prowess, it's the full story, leadership, brains, work ethic.  He's already taken a leadership role with teammates in Minnesota.

The guy who would interest me at defensive tackle is Sampson Genus.  Super wide body, potential space-eater.  He could move and play a position that is attainable for him in the NFL relative to his body type and athletic prowess.  Terrell McClain is more the guy with an uphill battle because the position and function he'll try and fill on a team is usually reserved for really special players.  Genus on the other hand could work back on the defensive side of the line and be another Antonio Garay or Ogemdi Nwagbuo.

But don't let me get you too down on Terrell.  I know some scouts that were/are pretty high on T-Mac.  My opinion is just one among many.

Genus was never impressive at DT for the stint he played there at USF and certainly in now way projects better than McClain in the NFL. 

You're not really grasping what I'm talking about in terms of position responsibilities and archetypes.  For the type of player that Genus could be asked to become at defensive tackle (a space eater), he's actually closer to having what it takes in terms of strength, hand quickness, bulk and mental consistency.  To be the kind of player that McClain will have to become in the NFL (a disruptor), he'll need more explosiveness and strength than I think he really has.  If I thought he had what it takes to be the other kind of player that'd be a different story but I doubt any of the scouts, least not the ones I've spoken with, see him being that.

And I specifically said it's ok if you want to be high on Terrell McClain, that my opinion is just one man's opinion.  Reading is fundamental.

• Content Count:  1,027
  • Days Won:  0

You're not really grasping what I'm talking about in terms of position responsibilities and archetypes.  For the type of player that Genus could be asked to become at defensive tackle (a space eater), he's actually closer to having what it takes in terms of strength, hand quickness, bulk and mental consistency.  To be the kind of player that McClain will have to become in the NFL (a disruptor), he'll need more explosiveness and strength than I think he really has.  If I thought he had what it takes to be the other kind of player that'd be a different story but I doubt any of the scouts, least not the ones I've spoken with, see him being that.

And I specifically said it's ok if you want to be high on Terrell McClain, that my opinion is just one man's opinion.  Reading is fundamental.

T-Mac = Tyrone McKenzie, I think there was confusion.

T-Mac = Tyrone McKenzie, I think there was confusion.

Whoops! LOL

Well to me "the dancing bear" is D'Brickashaw Ferguson, so I mean therein lies a dilemma, lol.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

I am a die-hard Carolina Panthers fan... I trust in Coach Ron Rivera's judgement, and he said he was/is really high on Terrell McClain.  However, I only caught a couple USF games this season (hard to see Skip on the sidelines and not wearing purple!  :'( ) ...

For those of you who have seen him every game... do you see his skills translating to the NFL?  What does he bring to the table?  The Panthers D was ok last season...but we seriously need help along the DL.  Thanks for the info!

he was a great linebacker at cal

Archived