• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East Board

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,079
  • Days Won:  0

John Allen, our first president, was a Lambda Chi Alpha - and their colors are green and gold.  Not sure if that is a coincidence or not.

I think I remember hearing or reading that it was his wife that picked it out cause "the went well with each other".

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

I know USF owns the Chinsegut hill manor, but I didn't realize it was this well known or considered a tradition for USF.

I don't believe that we own this plantation anymore.  I think that some members of the orginial family purchased it.  The University should have kept up with it much more.

USF still owns it... I drove by it a week ago on my way to a couple tree farms... it has a big USF sign still outside of it. I heard that the original Chinsegut family has acquired the rights to most of the land but not the manor, and has the right to use or rent out the manor when its not being used by USF.

The plantation farm land is also fully stocked, year round, with herds of brahma bulls...

USF should had opened a branch campus up here instead of Lakeland... could had built it around the Chinsegut area.

• Content Count:  3,692
  • Days Won:  2

we never have owned it We lease it.

I think title was transferred after the 20 year lease expired. 

http://guides.lib.usf.edu/content.php?pid=62125&sid=507925

Guest nybullsfan

we never have owned it We lease it.

I think title was transferred after the 20 year lease expired. 

http://guides.lib.usf.edu/content.php?pid=62125&sid=507925

You are right, I stand corrected

"The university signed a 20-year lease for the property in 1960 (1962?). Since

then, the University has expended a fortune in time, money and effort to preserve and

restore the property. USF removed the widow’s walk and ventilator in 1963 because of

leakage, the only major and permanent change to the property. The federal government

transferred the title of Chinsegut Hill from the USDA to USF. USF removed the outside

dining room in 1995. Various people and agencies ran the property, including USF

President John Allen (1962), Continuing Education (1965), and the Division of Housing

and Food Service (1975), later Auxilliary Services. USF installed six cabins nearby

(1975), a dining room (1982), a classroom (1986), a maintenance shop (1986), and a

storage shed (1990)"

Archived