• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East football facing major scheduling problems

Guest Hail Pitt

Guest Hail Pitt

I know this should have been posted on your BE board, but it seems as if no one goes over there.  Just wanted your opinions on the future of the BE with only 8 conference teams.   With the current BE, we would only play 7 conference games in a year, and play 4 or 5 OOC games depending on the 12 game schedule.  Right now, there seems to be a growing concern that the Big East teams will have to play one or two D-1AA teams a year because of our 7 game conference schedule.  A 9th member for football only (rumored to be ECU, while their other sports go to the A-10) would really help.  

There is more on this on several BE boards and on the following link:

http://www.inside99.net/cgi-bin/webbbs_config.pl?read=115227

Any thoughts?  Also WVU will not play UCF, and more than likely will play a D-1AA school....

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  479
  • Content Count:  1,991
  • Days Won:  0

Some how  Some Way gotta convince ND to come in for football, I dont know if ECU is the right choice but I guess its better than any other C-USA team

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  60

I think ECU would be a good choice.  They had some really good years just a few years ago and were the kings of their state for a while.  I don't see Notre Dame joining any conference for football.  I also don't see Penn State leaving the Big 10.  UMass would be the only other team I would consider.  I don't like the idea of Memphis or UAB, but ECU seems as if they are the best fit.

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  3,103

location wise ECU is the best choice out of UMass.  There is no way that Notre Dame will give up what they have in Football.  If we can't get anybody else then allow ECU in for football only, it will be an easy conference win

i say umass, ecu doesn't have the tv market or national appeal. if umass has the committment and is willing to upgrade their facilities than umass should follow uconn's lead and make the move to div 1. besides the big east needs to reestablish a presence in massachustes with boston college leaving. as long as it is not ucf i'll be fine with whomever we admit as the 9th member.

• Topic Count:  141
  • Content Count:  2,661

I don't buy it. In an age where the big schools are thinking up increasingly lamer excuses to justify their pathetic OOC scheduling, 5 OOC games gives Big East teams more freedom to arrange big non-conference home-and-homes. Which we'll need to keep the credibility up. USF has actually started booking BETTER series, not worse ones, since moving from C-USA to the BIG EAST.

And I don't buy that the Big East wants East Carolina either. If the BE wanted ECU, they've had almost a decade and a half to invite them.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

ecu- no way

we should weight it out

nd is a possiblity,penn state is a possiblity

don't think one of the old big east teams might not think about coming back in a year or so.including miami.

i wouldn't expand so fast

for the next year or so  per team payout will be  pretty good

memphis or uab?  memphis is better if we must

i agree with garysj

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,675
  • Days Won:  29

I'm right with Gary on this also.

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

ecu- no way

we should weight it out

nd is a possiblity,penn state is a possiblity

don't think one of the old big east teams might not think about coming back in a year or so.including miami.

i wouldn't expand so fast

for the next year or so  per team payout will be  pretty good

memphis or uab?  memphis is better if we must

i agree with garysj

Do you mean wait ?

None of the Big East defectors will be coming back, especially Miami.