• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Basketball recruiting budgets

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,084
  • Days Won:  2

rofl at the guy saying he's going to switch back to st. johns for basketball. this bball is not baseball, st. johns ***** at basketball too for the past decade or so, this year was a nice fluke for them though.

rofl to the guy who has no idea what he is talking about.  Are you aware St Johns just hired Steve Lavin this year?  Are you aware they hired Gene Keady "basketball buddha" to join the coaching staff as an advisor?  (probably dont know who either of those guys are, you are a typical usf fan) Are you aware this happened this year and now with the same players they became way better overnight? (coaching)  Are you aware Steve Lavin has a top 5 recruiting class coming in to St. johns in just his first year and the #1 SG?  are you aware of the history of st johns?  are you aware of the santions given to them and the mindset of a catholic school in which they changed their ways in return made the garbage hte last 5 or 6 years?  are you aware they are tired of losing and doing something about it?  are you aware....oh nevermind I already know you are not. 

Steve Lavin and Gene Keady join the staff and all of a sudden st johns is good, what a fluke.  wow pal stick to being a Matt Grothe fan. 

Fluke? 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

VCU pg from Florida, way to get em Heath

Thats not fair to Stan. Kid graduated HS in '07. Stan came on board April the same year. Everyone in the state missed the boat on him.

i would have to look, and i dont need someone elses point to make mine, but I think he went to a D2 school before VCU, so we had a chance to get him back home.  An obvious overlook, which is normal, but too many overlooks is alarming. 

Maybe you should use someone else's point to make yours. You may get more things correct ... He was a hs recruit out of Lake Howell that commited in September, 2006 .... so he was a Mac overlook, if you want to lay blame anywhere.

Why I said I would have to look it up because I remember his name being talked about with a D2 school, so I thought he transferred to VCU, but said what i said because i wasnt sure.  In actuality what happened was when Anthony Grant took the alabama job he talked about transferring to Rollins.  Im amazed I rememberd that kids name with transferring in the 1st place (im sure you never heard of him until 2 weeks ago and knew anything bout him until you googled when he came out of Lake Howell to be almighty and try to act like you are in the know, stick to defending the undefendables thats where you shine.)

LOL ... I only defend when you try throwing ******** out there ... Some things ARE "undefendable" ... this wasn't.

haha you are right it was macs recruit, but it was usfs fault for not making it a desireable place for anthony grant to coach. 

rofl at the guy saying he's going to switch back to st. johns for basketball. this bball is not baseball, st. johns ***** at basketball too for the past decade or so, this year was a nice fluke for them though.

btw im from new york, about 10  mins from St Johns and let me tell you, no one cares about st johns baseball, only basketball.  and i am a usf fan first now and an unbiased fan of all my teams, i tell it how it is as you can tell on how hard i am on usf (believ eme i want to praise them but they give me nothing to do so) and St Johns is going to be ranked again next year and a powerhouse in 2-3 years.

write that down junior.   

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,723
  • Days Won:  109

rofl to the guy who has no idea what he is talking about.  Are you aware St Johns just hired Steve Lavin this year?  Are you aware they hired Gene Keady "basketball buddha" to join the coaching staff as an advisor?  (probably dont know who either of those guys are, you are a typical usf fan) Are you aware this happened this year and now with the same players they became way better overnight? (coaching)  Are you aware Steve Lavin has a top 5 recruiting class coming in to St. johns in just his first year and the #1 SG?  are you aware of the history of st johns?  are you aware of the santions given to them and the mindset of a catholic school in which they changed their ways in return made the garbage hte last 5 or 6 years?  are you aware they are tired of losing and doing something about it?  are you aware....oh nevermind I already know you are not. 

Steve Lavin and Gene Keady join the staff and all of a sudden st johns is good, what a fluke.  wow pal stick to being a Matt Grothe fan. 

Fluke? 

Bruce, how right you are about St. Johns basketball.  Maybe because I've been around a few more years that many on this Board, but I remember year after year St. Johns had good teams.  Granted it was many years ago, but at least they have some history of quality basketball.  History to someone in their 20's is a lot different than someone in their 50's.  They are right in the middle of one of the top 5 recruiting areas in the country.  They now have quality coaching.  They will be another rung that USF will have to climb in order to be relevant. 

Fluke? 

Bruce, how right you are about St. Johns basketball.  Maybe because I've been around a few more years that many on this Board, but I remember year after year St. Johns had good teams.  Granted it was many years ago, but at least they have some history of quality basketball.  History to someone in their 20's is a lot different than someone in their 50's.  They are right in the middle of one of the top 5 recruiting areas in the country.  They now have quality coaching.  They will be another rung that USF will have to climb in order to be relevant. 

Its funny how St johns got in some embarassing trouble for a catholic school from their dirtbag players under Mike Jarvis so they changed their ways, then realized you know what winning is more important and we can do it the right way.  so they go out and do it.  Taking action NOW. 

Get Lavin, great recruiter and Keady great basketball mind (excellent moves) and lets rebuild.  I bet the house it works.  USF can do things like this , we just choose not to for some reason.  Its hard to root for them through all these years.  Then you have fans that have no expectations and will blame water being blue for us losing before our AD or coach.  Its just hard to respect the average usf fan as a whole.  i know there are many out there who are knowledgeable, but there are far too many apologist and green and gold goggle wearers which does NOT HELP OUR CAUSE. 

Cousin Ricky though I have to disagree and say St Johns is not in a top 5 recruiting area it is the #1 recruiting area.  I constantly hear all tournament the star player being from NY and its from teams like Kentucky, UCONN, Arizona, Kansas, etc. etc. etc.  Thats why I wouldnt be opposed to usf hiring a guy from NY like Kenny Anderson or Mark Jackson who want to get into coaching.  Why not?  people know who they are and they are from the mecca of basketball. 

Thats why St Johns realized this and needed a name, a recruiter and they hit the jackpot.  Why USF didnt think to offer him or try things like this is beyond me. 

You go for the big name recruiter or the successful small program guy who when you speak to him a minute you know his basketball IQ is through thte roof, you tell he has charisma and an element of wanting kids to play for him, a la the Butler coach.  Hell, I can even settle for an enthusiastic guy whos kids love him like Seth Greenburg, but you just dont hire Robert Mccullum or a stan heath or you get the constant results we get. 

Im sorry if this offends anyone, but its just a joke what goes on here.  this has been happening way too long.  You gotta take a longshot, go against the grain, do something!!

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

usf is too ocnservative in their approach

they do not think outside the box

just to over to madcow and see how most of usf thinks

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,723
  • Days Won:  109

NY may very well be the #1 recruiting area, but I was allowing room for Chicago, D.C. and Phila.  to avoid an argument.

NY may very well be the #1 recruiting area, but I was allowing room for Chicago, D.C. and Phila.  to avoid an argument.

agree and we need a coach who can recruit decent in all of those areas or excellent in one of those areas.  We can add LA, Detroit and even the state of Florida who produces plenty of basketball players to this list.   

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

VCU pg from Florida, way to get em Heath

Thats not fair to Stan. Kid graduated HS in '07. Stan came on board April the same year. Everyone in the state missed the boat on him.

i would have to look, and i dont need someone elses point to make mine, but I think he went to a D2 school before VCU, so we had a chance to get him back home.  An obvious overlook, which is normal, but too many overlooks is alarming. 

Maybe you should use someone else's point to make yours. You may get more things correct ... He was a hs recruit out of Lake Howell that commited in September, 2006 .... so he was a Mac overlook, if you want to lay blame anywhere.

Why I said I would have to look it up because I remember his name being talked about with a D2 school, so I thought he transferred to VCU, but said what i said because i wasnt sure.  In actuality what happened was when Anthony Grant took the alabama job he talked about transferring to Rollins.  Im amazed I rememberd that kids name with transferring in the 1st place (im sure you never heard of him until 2 weeks ago and knew anything bout him until you googled when he came out of Lake Howell to be almighty and try to act like you are in the know, stick to defending the undefendables thats where you shine.)

LOL ... I only defend when you try throwing ******** out there ... Some things ARE "undefendable" ... this wasn't.

haha you are right it was macs recruit, but it was usfs fault for not making it a desireable place for anthony grant to coach. 

No arguments from me there ...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

Hell, I can even settle for an enthusiastic guy whos kids love him like Seth Greenburg, but you just dont hire Robert Mccullum or a stan heath or you get the constant results we get. 

So the "kids" who changed form their unis into civvies during a game and went and sat in the stands were just showing Seth some tough love, then ...?

Archived