• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Hewitt fired at GaTech...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  809
  • Days Won:  1

Should we bring him in as our new basketball coach?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6209623

He can win AND  he can recruit. 

• Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

How is Hewitt that much different from where Stan Heath was when USF hired him? Just curious. Seems very comparable.

• Content Count:  809
  • Days Won:  1

How is Hewitt that much different from where Stan Heath was when USF hired him? Just curious. Seems very comparable.

Good question and I agree they are certainly very similar.  However, Hewitt knows the Atlanta area and if he can bring us recruits regularly from the Atlanta metro area, that alone could bring in the players we need to win in the Big East. 

Stan Heath was supposed to have a solid recruiting foundation in the Michigan area, but he has yet to bring us any quality players from the MI area or any other area.

Also, this is just my hunch, but I feel Hewitt is a better X's and O's coach.  But that's certainly arguable either way. 

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

1 winning ACC record in 11 years.

Greenburg has that beat in just his last 2 years and he wasn't able to win here.

No thanks.

• Content Count:  5,982

Overall Hewitt is a better coach then Stan Heath as the resume shows.

Speaking of Stan, honestly he's is starting to look like a lucky HC that had a miracle or fluke season at Kent St to many outside of the USF fan base.

Take out that Kent St season and Heath's overall record in 9 seasons(Ark-USF) is 133 wins - 148 losses. In those 9 seasons he has only 1 season where his team finished with an above .500 record and that came in 2005-06 when Ark finished 10-6 in the SEC. He has only 1 season with a .500 record and that was in the 09-10 season at USF.

In 9 seasons Heath has only guided a team to 3 postseason appearances and each time suffered humiliating 1st rd defeats. Also going to the NIT shouldn't be gloried and the gold standard for any team D-1 school. Even the NC A&Ts of the world don't want to go to the NIT. The small schools want to go to the NCAAT and celebrate that 16th seed they get when getting and earning the invite.

With what Heath has done since the miracle at Kent St, it's no wonder you regularly read comments like, " How is Heath still coaching and Stan Heath should be fired." These are what the others are saying. I wonder how he's still coaching myself almost everyday.

Greenburg has that beat in just his last 2 years and he wasn't able to win here.

No thanks.

That was a different time period.

Jim Boylen has been fired at UTAH after 4 seasons and he made the NCAAT in his 2nd season there.

Keno Davis has been fired at Providence after 3 seasons. He finished 10-8 in the BE his 1st season and lost in the opening rd of the NIT that same season. Hmmm....boy I know he wishes he had Heath's job security.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,708
  • Days Won:  424

I think the post season wins give him a better resume than Stan's and if we were looking for a coach, wouldn't have a problem at all with him as a finalist for the job .... but I still prefer that if/when the time comes, to take a coach from some another program rather than the unemployment line.

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

No thanks.

That was a different time period.

the guy can't do better then .500 in the ACC 10 out of 11 years.

I'm not sure what you mean by different time period but if you can't go .500 in the ACC with a decent program then what makes you believe he can be successful in the Big East with a below average one?

• Content Count:  3,084

Comparable auman? Wow watch basketball much? Only way they are comparble is they both aren't very good coaches. Big difference is heath can't recruit and hewitt can. Derrick favors, top recruit coming in this year... Who has heath recruited worth anything?

Not to mention hewitt is from ny the place every good be team recruits from and has atl ties.  Heath has neck ties.  Would be a huge improvement.

Archived