• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Henderson Leaves Team

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,523
  • Days Won:  10

This is a shame, since BH showed some real talent and, I'm sure, would have contributed.  I'm only guessing that Ricky Ponton and others were going to give him some tough competition for playing time.

Bulls Running Back Won't Return

A Tribune staff, wire report

Published: Jan 15, 2005

TAMPA - Junior Billy Henderson, who won the starting running back position last spring before suffering a severe knee injury, will not return to USF this fall.

Henderson, of Pinellas Park, said he has left the program and wants to play his final season at a Division I-AA school after graduating in May with a communications degree. He was slated to be Andre Hall's backup this fall.

``I'm not on the team, I'm concentrating on school,'' Henderson said. ``I still want to play. Football is my passion. I need to build my confidence up and rehab my knee more.''

Henderson, who has a career 5.1 yards per carry average, won the starting job in the spring but tore the ACL in his left knee. Henderson was expected to miss the entire season, but returned to play in three of USF's final four games.

``I wasn't 100 percent by a long shot,'' Henderson said. ``It was hurting a lot, but I wanted to get out and play. I was anxious to get out there. The injury was tough. It took a toll on my life. But it's part of the game. I have to bounce back.''

Brett McMurphy

http://bulls.tbo.com/bulls/MGBDSMQ5Z3E.html

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

The silver lining is one more schollie available, instead of 22 (after transfers), we have 23.

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267
  • Days Won:  0

Ponton and others?  What others are there?  Terrence Jones did not qualify, Crossley graduated, Copeland transferred, and one top RB recruit (Chubb Small) that wanted to give his verbal to us but we didnt offer schollie.  I am getting nervous about this position now.  I know Andre is the man, but you still need some depth.  And as far as I can see Ponson, who is an unproven back is really the only depth we have now.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

Andre NEEDS to stay healthy, but this will show Top HS RB talent that they could be the man in 2006.

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Ponton and others?  What others are there?  Terrence Jones did not qualify, Crossley graduated, Copeland transferred, and one top RB recruit (Chubb Small) that wanted to give his verbal to us but we didnt offer schollie.  I am getting nervous about this position now.  I know Andre is the man, but you still need some depth.  And as far as I can see Ponson, who is an unproven back is really the only depth we have now.

We have Chad Simpson also... Freshman along with Ponton.

plus 2 sophmores... gaines and smart... but i think gaines is a walk-on.

Depth Chart:

Andre Hall

Ricky Ponton

Chad Simpson

Courtney Smart

Anthony Gaines(w.o)

Plus a couple fullbacks...Craig Lloyd & BJ Atkins(w.o)

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

we are strong at rb position

we will probably recruit at least 2 more studs and red shirt one of them

USF still only has 22 scholarships. The total of 25 isn't what's available, it's the NCAA limit. Henderson leaving doesn't give them another scholarship for this class, but they can give it to a walk-on.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

Fisher may be back as well.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

USF still only has 22 scholarships. The total of 25 isn't what's available, it's the NCAA limit. Henderson leaving doesn't give them another scholarship for this class, but they can give it to a walk-on.

I understood that we had more than 25 available. Currently 22 with the recent signings of Muy, etc. ?

Go BULLS !!!