• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Truly making USF the "Greatest University in the Nation"

USF c/o 2010

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  14
  • Days Won:  0

I believe that USF has what it takes to become what Dr. Genshaft describes us as, "The Greatest University in the Nation." However, I feel we are not selling ourselves and addressing the key areas needed to rightfully claim this title.

In another post in this section  (located here: http://thebullspen.com/index.php?topic=77331.0) I sort-of started a list, on what we need to do to become the greatest. I want to hear from you all.

What do you think USF needs to do to become the Greatest University in the Nation?

My list is:

1. USF needs more classrooms and classroom buildings. (more versions of Cooper Hall)

2. USF needs stricter policies to encourage full time students to graduate on time.

3. USF needs to shed the 'commuter image.'

4. USF needs to be marketed a lot more. (You wouldn't believe how many people have never heard of us.)

I do not look up to Harvard, Stanford or the snobs at UF because I come from USF and when you are a part of Bulls Country you are truly the best in your class.

• Content Count:  33

Graduation rate should be first priority!! It plays a big role in rankings and helps in our applications to prestigious organizations like AAU and Phi Beta Kappa. USF has made steps in to improve the graduation rate and I remember reading a few years ago (2009?) that the freshman retention rate was the highest ever. I assume this means the graduation rate will vastly improve in a few years (I know it's been improved steadily), but more needs to be done.

Secondly, continue to build and beautify the campus. This will help to breed a sense of community and attract students. I like what they're doing now, it just needs to be sustained.

Just my 2 cents!

• Content Count:  40

Univerisities USF's size have two primary missions. 

First and foremost is doing research.  I know most people think it is or should be teaching undergrads but high profile and high dollar research is what drives a University's budget and prestige. Judy Genshaft has done a phenomenal job in building our research profile over the last decade or so and we need to keep this momentum. 

That said, enrolling and graduating promising undergrads is still important.  I actually think the UF formula has worked well for improving in this area.  UF wasn't exactly a difficult school to get into 10 or 15 years ago.  Then they started winning football games at a prodigious rate and all of a sudden it looked like a much more fun place to be.  This resulted in an increased number of applications which allowed UF to be selective in taking the cream off the top. 

• Content Count:  791
  • Days Won:  3

USF maybe does a better job than any of the other 10 Florida public universities in providing access to thousands of promising students who are less wealthy.  In 2009 63% of USF's students received need-based financial aid.  At UCF, for example, only 27% of students received need-based financial aid.  USF does a tremendous job, better than most of the other Florida universities, in serving the region and state in keeping its doors open wide for admission to less wealthy deserving students while at the same time maintaining its academic integrity.  I think USF, a public university, does a good job balancing admission selectivity with serving the larger community and all of its citizens.

http://www.inlikeme.com/files/2010%20FL%20SUS%20Matrix%20Final.pdf

• Content Count:  1,251

i would like to see improvement to the USF area.....build up the atmosphere around campus to make it feel more like a college town......were doing more and more to shed the commuter image every year...more kids are going to USF from outside the tampa bay area.....we need to improve the area around USF....i really think it will help strengthen the university's overall image....

Archived