• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Trib: USF's Holtz facing tough decision at quarterback

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,277
  • Days Won:  0

USF's Holtz facing tough decision at quarterback

By JOE HENDERSON | The Tampa Tribune

In the days following a deflating loss at West Virginia in mid-October, there were a lot of questions thrown at University of South Florida football coach Skip Holtz about the Bulls' problems at quarterback.

Holtz responded that if he had a better option than B.J. Daniels, he'd use it. We know what he meant. He wasn't tossing his sophomore quarterback under the bus or any other moving vehicle. What he was saying is that competition at any position can be a good thing.

Well, fast-forward to present day.

The Bulls are getting ready to muffle on up to the Dec.â31 Meineke Car Care Bowl in Charlotte. And that competition Holtz wanted at quarterback?

"Careful what you wish for," he said with a smile.

Indeed, the matter of who starts at quarterback against Clemson in the bowl game is no longer a no-brainer. Do you go with Daniels, who has recovered from an injury that sent him to the sidelines at Miami in the next-to-last game of the regular season?

Or do you go with freshman Bobby Eveld, the walk-on from Jesuit High who led USF to a win at Miami after Daniels got hurt and then played well in a last-second loss to Connecticut?

"What we'll do at this point, I really don't know," Holtz said. "We've just got to look at who best suits their talents to give us the best opportunity to win this game."

That's where this gets sticky.

Both quarterbacks have signature moments â Eveld at Miami, Daniels leading a win in his first start at Florida State. Both can make big plays, although Eveld is more likely to do so as a regular part of the offense, while Daniels can be lethal when the play breaks down and he improvises.

Clemson's strength is its defensive line, especially in pass-rushing beast Da'Quan Bowers. He could be a top-five selection in the NFL draft next year, and Daniels' mobility could be a plus in countering that. On the other hand, if the line can protect Eveld, he'll deliver the ball where it's supposed to go and keep drives alive.

You may think we're stirring up a quarterback controversy here but we're not. Honestly.

Any good controversy thrives on animosity and it's just not there for this one. The two guys we'd be stirring happen to like each other a lot.

"B.J. and I are really good friends. He has taught me a lot since I've been here. He's basically a big brother," Eveld said. "There is a little competitiveness between us but it's not about beating the other guy out. It's about making each other better.

"If it means sitting me the whole game but we win, I'm great with that. If it means him sitting the whole game but we win, I'm sure he's great with that, too."

Getting more from his quarterbacks has been an ongoing issue for the Bulls since Holtz took over in January. There are five quarterbacks listed on the roster, but four of them are freshmen and coming into this season only Daniels had any experience. And he's only a sophomore.

You expect to have pains in a situation like that and the Bulls have had them. Daniels lost control of the game at Florida, threw four interceptions and the potential for a win went out the window. He struggled in Big East losses against Syracuse and West Virginia.

He could also be dynamic, like the night he was 13 of 16 for 286 yards and a pair of touchdowns in a win at Cincinnati. To be fair, some of his struggles could be explained by the Bulls' lack of depth at wide receiver, where they were hammered by injuries.

So now, with the Bulls as healthy as they're going to be, this will be an interesting test to see how Holtz can use two distinctly different weapons to his best advantage.

"People have talked about a lot of things. I've heard me and B.J. might be in there at the same time. I think that would be pretty cool," Eveld said. "But I really don't have any idea. The coaches will give us the best chance to win."

It's a problem for sure, but it's the kind of problem coaches like to have. If you weren't already aware of that, the smile on Skip Holtz's face told you all you need to know.

Link

• Content Count:  3,649
  • Days Won:  4

I wonder if holtz would consider sticking them both back there on the same play one or two times?

If BJ is truely healthy, you direct snap it to him and run a wildcat or option type play.

Or snap it to Eveld and let BJ run a route for a pass.

Not saying you run it often but it may confuse the defense once or twice.

• Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

I wonder if holtz would consider sticking them both back there on the same play one or two times?

If BJ is truely healthy, you direct snap it to him and run a wildcat or option type play.

Or snap it to Eveld and let BJ run a route for a pass.

Not saying you run it often but it may confuse the defense once or twice.

Shhhhhhhh. I think they have computers in South Carolina now.

• Content Count:  210
  • Days Won:  0

"If it means him sitting the whole game but we win, I'm sure he's great with that, too."

Questionable.

Archived