• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

pitt hired mac coach

smazza

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

great for usf

Source: Pitt hires Mike HaywoodEmail Print Comments305 By Joe Schad

ESPN

Archive

Pittsburgh has hired Miami (Ohio) coach Mike Haywood as its new head coach, a source close to the situation said Wednesday night.

Big East blog

ESPN.com's Brian Bennett writes about all things Big East in his conference blog.

• Blog network:

College Football Nation

The five-year deal has been agreed to and could be announced as early as Thursday.

Haywood led the RedHawks to a turnaround from 1-11 in 2009 to 9-4 in 2010, including 8-1 in conference play. Miami beat Northern Illinois 26-21 in the MAC championship game and will face Middle Tennessee in the GoDaddy.com Bowl on Jan. 6.

It has not been determined if Haywood will coach Miami in its bowl game, but the late nature of the game makes it less likely.

Haywood succeeds Dave Wannstedt, who resigned under pressure after six seasons. He will be the first African-American football or men's basketball coach in Pittsburgh history.

Haywood played and coached at Notre Dame and has also coached at LSU and Texas

• Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

great for usf

So is it great for the rest of the conference that USF has a "Conference USA coach" then?

I'm not following your, uh, "logic" here.

• Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

great for usf

So is it great for the rest of the conference that USF has a "Conference USA coach" then?

I'll take a stab at the Smazza logic. Great for USF that Pitt picked up what Smazza likely percieves as a less-than-stellar replacement for the Stache. Things could lay out quite nicely next year for USF to make a serious run at the Big East Championship.

• Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

great for usf

I'll take a stab at the Smazza logic. Great for USF that Pitt picked up what Smazza likely percieves as a less-than-stellar replacement for the Stache. Things could lay out quite nicely next year for USF to make a serious run at the Big East Championship.

Obviously I understood what smazza was getting at.

But the reason the coach is underwhelming has zero to do with which conference he was coaching in most recently, something smazza apparently believes.

• Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

But the reason the coach is underwhelming has zero to do with which conference he was coaching in most recently, something smazza apparently believes.

I can see where you disagree with that sentiment. Off the top of my head, two very successful BCS coaches have coached in the MAC conference before landing where they are now (or where they just resigned from). Brian Kelly coached at Central Michigan and Meyer at Bowling Green.

Archived