• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

So Miss preview(they are good)

Vega

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

The Southern Miss men's basketball team will open the 2010-11 campaign on the road at former conference foe USF Friday, Nov. 12. Tip-off is scheduled for 6 p.m. CT from the USF Sun Dome.

This will be the 28th meeting between Southern Miss and USF. Southern Miss holds a 15-12 record. In games played in Tampa, USF holds a 10-3 advantage. Southern Miss and USF were both members of the Metro Conference and then Conference USA from 1992 until the Bulls joined the Big East following the 2004-05 season.

In season-opening games, Southern Miss is 40-25, including having won its last five. Under head coach Larry Eustachy, the Golden Eagles are 5-1 in season-opening games.

The Golden Eagles will be opening its season on the road for the 29th time and second straight season. In those games, the Golden Eagles are 10-18. It is also the second consecutive year opening with a true road game. Last year, the Black and Gold won at Louisiana-Lafayette, 79-72. Under head coach Larry Eustachy, Southern Miss is 2-1 when opening the year away from home.

The 2010-11 edition of the Southern Miss basketball team returns all five starters and seven of its top eight scorers off a team that finished 20-14 and made the postseason for the first time since 2001.

Heading the list of returnees is First Team Preseason All-Conference USA member Gary Flowers. The senior forward led the Golden Eagles with 15.0 points and 8.3 rebounds, good for tenth and sixth in the league. He was also fourth in C-USA in blocks with 1.8. His 60 blocks on the year tied for the seventh most in a season at Southern Miss.

Senior R.L. Horton leads a big group of guards into the 2010-11 season. Horton will begin the year as a shooting guard, but can also play the point. The Jackson, Miss., native has started the last 93 of 99 career games for the Golden Eagles. Last year, Horton averaged 9.2 points, 2.9 rebounds and 1.9 assists, while becoming the 34th Golden Eagle to score 1,000 career points.

Junior Angelo Johnson will run the point for the Golden Eagles. The Minneapolis, Minn., native was the only player to start in all 34 games last year. He was also one of two players to average double-digit points, scoring 10.1 points per game, while grabbing 3.0 rebounds and 2.6 assists.

Junior Maurice Bolden and senior Sai'Quon Stone will both see time at guard and small forward. Bolden started 19 games last year, averaging 8.7 points and 5.9 rebounds, good for second on the team. Stone enters his final year as the defensive stopper. Last year, he became the first Golden Eagle to be named to the Conference USA All-Defensive Team. He also averaged 5.3 points and 3.8 rebounds. The Brooklyn, N.Y. native needs just 173 points for 1,000 career.

Senior Josimar Ayarza also returns to the squad. Ayarza played in 29 games last year, starting three. He averaged 5.9 points and 3.3 rebounds last year while playing 15.6 minutes a game. Senior Torye Pelham played in 29 games and started 12, including 10 of the last 13. The Nashville, Tenn. native averaged 3.9 points and 3.8 rebounds.

Seven newcomers join the Golden Eagles this year. Freshmen Trency Jackson (Jackson, Miss.), Cedric Jenkins (LaPlace, La.), D.J. Newbill (Philadelphia, Pa.), and Kody Williams (Niceville, Fla.) will be joined by junior college transfers LaShay Page (Dillon, S.C./Chipola College), Kayland Partee (Jackson, Miss./Holmes CC) and Ahyaro Phillips (New Orleans, La./Lamar State JC).

Head coach Larry Eustachy enters his seventh season at the helm of the Southern Miss men's basketball program. He has compiled a 95-94 (.503) record during his time as head coach. In 19 years, Eustachy has an overall record of 355-239 (.598).

http://southernmiss.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/111110aaa.html

• Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

The match between Gary "Dopeman" Flowers and Gus Gilchrist should be a good one. Flowers may be the best Big Man USF see all year. This game could be a good one if our guards hold up, but it could get ugly if Crater and gang struggle against USM backcourt.

Btw we recruited the" Dopeman" pretty **** hard and tried on two occasions to hire his JC HC who is now an asst on So Miss bench.

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

I remember when we were recruiting Flowers... looked for a while like he was going to sign with us.  (was a few years back, so my memory may be a bit rusty).  Should be an interesting game.

• Content Count:  44
  • Days Won:  0

After reading this i looked at their roster and i have seen 4 of these players play before locally. Flowers, Pelham, and Lashay Page all played for Chipola and I dont know if any of you remember Kody Williams( the WR from niceville that i'm pretty sure we were after for football). Having said that Flowers was the only one that really impressed me although Pelham had a knack for blocking shots. I haven't seen any of them play since they were at Chipola and it should be interesting to see how they developed. And as for Williams i think he should have stuck with football. He was supposed to sign with northwest florida but i guess got on with SO Miss at the last minute.

Archived