• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Heath Adds A Pair of Recruits to 2011-12 Team

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Heath Adds A Pair of Recruits to 2011-12 Team 

Courtesy: USF

Release: 11/10/2010

TAMPA - The University of South Florida men's basketball program has announced the signing of Andre Jackson and Tolulope "Jordan" Omogbehin to National Letters of Intent, head coach Stan Heath announced Wednesday afternoon on the opening day of signing period.

Both recruits bring tremendous size to the Bulls as Jackson is a 6-10, 285-pound center from Lee College in Texas, and Omogbehin is a 7-3, 291-pound center from Atlantic Shores Christian in Virginia.

"We are excited about the additions of Andre and Jordan," said Heath. "We felt the need to bulk up our front line and we have overachieved in that area."

Jackson, a true post who can also step out and shoot the 15-footer, averaged 9.2 points and 6.0 rebounds in his first season with Lee College in Baytown, Texas. Listed at 300 pounds a year ago, Jackson has dropped down to 285 pounds and has good touch around the basket.

Originally from Dallas, Jackson played his prep ball at L.G. Pinkston High School in Pinkston, Texas, averaging 15.0 points and 12.0 rebounds per contest. He helped lead Pinkston to the Texas State playoffs the last two years, earning first team all-district both seasons. Also a letterwinniner in football, Jackson was the seventh-ranked center in the state of Texas and was named one of its Top 100 players.

The son of Anthony Jackson and Cathy Singleton, Jackson committed to Southern Mississippi for the 2008-09 season, then played a year at Lee College and will enter USF next season with two years of eligibility.

"Andre comes to USF with junior college experience under his belt," said Heath. "He has worked very hard to improve his physical attributes along with his game. We feel he will be able to contribute right away and he will develop to be an even more productive player as time progresses."

Omogbehin, originally from Lagos, Nigeria, plays for Atlantic Shores Christian in Chesapeake, Va., after stops at National Christian Academy and Montrose Christian. At NCA, he averaged 15 points, 11 rebounds and eight blocked shots per game last season.

Omogbehin, who speaks fluent English and French, adds even more size to the Bulls frontcourt, and can score in the paint while being very aggressive on the glass.

The incoming freshman was also a player for Team Takeover AAU - a squad that had 10 players in the class of 2011 commit to Division I schools.

He chose USF over interest from Georgetown, Connecticut, Oklahoma, Virginia Tech, Florida State and Marquette.

"Jordan is 7-foot-3 and he has good hands and feet, but he still has some areas that need development," said Heath. "We are certainly excited about the physical attributes he brings to the table. He has the ability to change the paint with his size."

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=205028460

• Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

I really like the potential of Omogbehin for the long term. He'll be an intimidating force on" D" like Hasheen Thabet and Hamady N’diaye were in the BE right away.

I really wished Jackson wasn't hurt so he can gain valuable time of the court getting better because he will be needed to fill Famous spot next season.

Either way we are very beefy and hopefully neither guys won't earn the title "Big For Nothing."

We'll add a PG by spring. If Burwell and Dority play a lot this season then both will be back so no more scholarships will come open.

• Content Count:  2,726
  • Days Won:  0

SEVEN FOOT WHAT?!?!?! Sheesh...I don't think i've ever seen a guy that tall.  I know its only a fraction of what the guys actual ability is but still! 

lol

I'm impressed...

Heath is working! 

8va

GO BULLS!!!

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

If we can develop these PG's (dority/haynes), we could be pretty good a couple years from now.

I really like the potential of Omogbehin for the long term. He'll be an intimidating force on" D" like Hasheen Thabet and Hamady N’diaye were in the BE right away.

I really wished Jackson wasn't hurt so he can gain valuable time of the court getting better because he will be needed to fill Famous spot next season.

Either way we are very beefy and hopefully neither guys won't earn the title "Big For Nothing."

We'll add a PG by spring. If Burwell and Dority play a lot this season then both will be back so no more scholarships will come open.

According to his coach, Jackson will be out for about five or six more games, so he should still play quite a bit this season. He doesn't want to rush him back.

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

According to his coach, Jackson will be out for about five or six more games, so he should still play quite a bit this season. He doesn't want to rush him back.

no need to rush back, you already have your scholarship

Exactly.

I hope that when he finishes playing BB at USF he still has some eligibility left to play football. His coach thinks he could make a $100 million playing tight end in the NFL.  :o

• Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

That's good to know.

If we can develop these PG's (dority/haynes), we could be pretty good a couple years from now.

I do hope that Dority can be a solid PG for us over the next 4 years. Really would like to add a Blue Chipper in the 2012 class. Although Amayo or Carter could be a good addition to the program.

The 2012 class should be focused on basically signing a starting five as every position is a priority.

Vega, despite being without Jackson and a 7 foot player who is also injured, Lee won its opening game in Florida last night. Perhaps, they have another guy for us.  ;)

http://www.bradenton.com/2010/11/11/2729613/manatees-fall-two-points-short.html

Archived