• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Cards Scouting Report

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  471
  • Days Won:  0

I think it should be a real good game between 2 schools on the up swing.  Although USF has been to a bowl game the last 4 or 5 years so I dont think Holtz was really stepping into a dire situation.  I will be at the game for sure.

• Content Count:  1,027

I think it should be a real good game between 2 schools on the up swing.  Although USF has been to a bowl game the last 4 or 5 years so I dont think Holtz was really stepping into a dire situation.  I will be at the game for sure.

Agree.  Looking forward to it.  While the situation Holtz inherited wasn't dire from a wins and losses perspective (depending on who you ask), he did step right into the middle of a **** storm and he's handled everything well to this point.  Strong has done wonders for the Ville.  If they can keep it rolling UL and USF are in great positions coaching-wise.

• Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

Surging Louisville embracing bowl possibilities

By WILL GRAVES

AP Sports Writer

Charlie Strong was way ahead of the curve.

The first-year Louisville coach always maintained the struggling program would be competitive sooner rather than later, even if his own players were skeptical following three years of losing under Steve Kragthorpe.

http://www.kentucky.com/2010/11/08/1516308/surging-louisville-embracing-bowl.html

As the surging Cardinals are starting to find out, Strong has a tendency to be right. Louisville (5-4, 2-2 Big East) hosts South Florida (5-3, 2-2) on Saturday one victory shy from being bowl eligible for the first time since 2007

"Coach Strong has had belief in us way before we have and it's been interesting to finally see the growth of the team to believing we can win," said senior quarterback Justin Burke. "And he's been down the road waiting for us to travel to get where his expectation level and standards are and to see us finally go in and meet some of those is exciting for us."

Louisville ended an 11-game conference road losing streak last weekend, beating Syracuse 28-20 despite playing without star running back Bilal Powell and quarterback Adam Froman.

Their status for the showdown with the Bulls is still uncertain, though Strong isn't particularly concerned. Not after Burke threw for a pair of touchdowns and freshman Jeremy Wright ran for 98 yards and two scores.

There was a decided sense of giddiness in the locker room afterward in what Strong considers a watershed moment.

"It was so emotional, so uplifting to see guys jumping around and hugging one another, but we needed that," Strong said. "We needed that to get this program heading back in the right direction."

Strong, however, isn't exactly ready to say the Cardinals are back. He's not good enough at math to figure out if going 6-6 is good enough to assure Louisville of heading to a bowl game for the first time since winning the Orange Bowl following the 2006 season.

The way Strong sees it, why settle for six wins? The Cardinals have three challenging - but winnable - games on the schedule. After facing the Bulls, Louisville hosts West Virginia then travels to Rutgers.

"If we stub (our toes), all three of those teams can beat us," Strong said.

Louisville hasn't done that in weeks. The team picked to finish last in the Big East has been a tough out, even when it loses.

The Cardinals had a chance to tie defending conference champion Cincinnati in the last minute and hung around until midway through the fourth quarter against Pittsburgh.

They've been dominant at times during their five wins, posting a pair of shutouts and playing the kind of physical football Strong promised would become the team's signature.

Louisville trailed Syracuse by three at halftime before starting the second half with five straight runs in a drive that ended with the go-ahead touchdown.

Leading by eight in final 2 minutes, Louisville faced a 4th-and-1 at its own 39. Rather than kick, Strong challenged his offensive line to give Burke the push he needed to convert the first down and burn off a few more valuable seconds.

"If we can't get an inch, we don't deserve to win the football game anyway," Strong said.

Burke bulled forward for the necessary yardage. When Syracuse finally got the ball back, it needed to go 85 yards in 33 seconds against the nation's 13th-ranked defense. Didn't happen. Minutes later Strong was flashing a broad smile in the locker room to celebrate the first big road win of his coaching career.

"We do our jumping, hotting and hollering and he sits back and just laughs and doesn't really know what we're doing," Burke said with a laugh. "I don't think he gets some of the stuff we're doing, but we get it."

All I know is it hasnt been fun to watch UL football the last few years and now I get excited again to watch the games.

• Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

Beating Syracuse is a big road win, eh?

I think we're in a good position to win. If we were at home there wouldn't be much question. Still, the Leavitt road game curse is still present in my mind. Our biggest defensive weakness is our secondary (even they're pretty good). I think the front 7 should handle the running game of Louisville.  Froman or Burke aren't beating our DBs, he's no Collaros.

Yeah I guess considering they were 6-2 and 3-1 on the conference.  Especially since the Cuse had road wins at USF,WVU and Cincy.  I would say it was big.  You might win the game but I feel I heck a of lot better about our chances this year then I did last year I will say that.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Beating Syracuse is a big road win, eh?

I think we're in a good position to win. If we were at home there wouldn't be much question. Still, the Leavitt road game curse is still present in my mind. Our biggest defensive weakness is our secondary (even they're pretty good). I think the front 7 should handle the running game of Louisville.  Froman or Burke aren't beating our DBs, he's no Collaros.

But he's the Sausage King of Chicago!!!!!!!!

Archived