• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF #1 with Carlton Hill again

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

Actually Rivals is probably the most credible of the "major" recruiting sites. It's all relative.

Any subscriber based site will naturally give the benefit of the doubt on a recruit to those Schools who have the most fans so as not to alienate them.

In general, it is also true that those schools with the largest fan bases do in fact get most of the best players.

When Miami accepts a recruit it is almost a given by them that he's at least a 3 star prospect or they wouldn't have signed him. That was the point I was attempting to make about the kicker who gave us a verbal. If he had given a verbal to miami I think Rivals probably would have done more research on him and found a way to justify ranking him with 3 stars. Since he "only" committed to USF, I doubt the same attention is paid to him by Rivals, and he wouldn't get the benefit of the doubt.

I happen to like Bill Buchalter's list of Florida's Top 100 recruits because he doesn't have an axe to grind. However, Buchalter doesn't really update it much, if at all, during the course of the year and he doesn't rank the rest of the players in the state, so you don't know if some guy not ranked is #101 or #301.

Getting back to Rivals, I think they are more comprehensive than anyone else and attempt for the most part to do what they consider to be a fair assessment of recruits, but there will be some built in bias that is inevitable because of the nature of their business.  

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The top 20 players are pretty clear cut.  After that it's almost a crap shoot.

I haven't done a study, but it seems that when Rivals does rank a recruit with 3 stars for USF that player almost invariably becomes a major contributor to our team. So, I believe they do sort out the better players for the most part.

What they do somewhat poorly is finding the gem in the rough, because there are so many players from all around the country that they can't be familliar with them all.

All in all though, I think their Team Rankings are fairly accurate, but could be better with a bit more attention payed to players not on their radar who are given short shrift.  

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

I haven't done a study, but it seems that when Rivals does rank a recruit with 3 stars for USF that player almost invariably becomes a major contributor to our team. So, I believe they do sort out the better players for the most part.

What they do somewhat poorly is finding the gem in the rough, because there are so many players from all around the country that they can't be familliar with them all.

All in all though, I think their Team Rankings are fairly accurate, but could be better with a bit more attention payed to players not on their radar who are given short shrift.  

Curious.....

Why Insiders over Rivals. IIRC, I remember you writing that you were a insiders subscriber. How timely is the coverage?

I'm not sure if you are addressing me because you wrote "IIRC" [whatever that means].

But if you are, I've never subscibed to Insiders.

You might be remembering me mentioning times when Insiders was giving access to most of their premium content for free to non-members without having to sign up for even a trial period.

So, when they do that I have an opportunity to read all the articles they wrote up to that point, and get a better feeling for what they do.

I can't compare it to Rivals as I never subscribed to them either.  ;D

Just to finish off on the Rival kicker rankings.

I just looked up the stats for the #1 Rivals kicker, who committed to So Cal. I could only find those for 2003. He went 6 for 9 in FG's and his longest was only 45 yards and he didn't make even another 40 yarder!

http://216.176.197.111/members/view.asp?id=vanblarcom

Of the 23 kickers Rivals shows 8 comes from Ca and only 1 from Fl.

What's up with that?

They evidently rely heavily on the players who go out to Chris Sailer's camps and he's located out in Ca. So, of course, there will be more west coast players there.

Not every "top flight" kicker from around the country goes there.

Guest TheFreaktoolazytologin
Just to finish off on the Rival kicker rankings.

I just looked up the stats for the #1 Rivals kicker, who committed to So Cal. I could only find those for 2003. He went 6 for 9 in FG's and his longest was only 45 yards and he didn't make even another 40 yarder!

http://216.176.197.111/members/view.asp?id=vanblarcom

Of the 23 kickers Rivals shows 8 comes from Ca and only 1 from Fl.

What's up with that?

They evidently rely heavily on the players who go out to Chris Sailer's camps and he's located out in Ca. So, of course, there will be more west coast players there.

Not every "top flight" kicker from around the country goes there.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

see what happens when you are too lazy to login... you are too lazy to even write the post too  ;)  ;D