• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF #1 with Carlton Hill again

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

He's been a 4 star all along.

No, Rivals just reclassified their athletes and gave him an additional star. He was always one spot short of Four stars on Rivals until today.

Insiders originaly had him as four stars but then lowered him after he gave a verbal to USF.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

i saw 3 stars for carlton last week as well on rivals

I'm still pissed at Rivals fror dropping Andre Hall from five stars to four after he gave a verbal to USF. He was the #1 JUCO RB and the only #1 JUCO position player NOT to get five stars. I guess they just couldn't stand USF getting a five star recruit.

http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?SID=880&Year=2004&ra_key=694

BTW, A J Trump was just raised to four stars by Rivals after he gave a verbal to Miami.

It all looks very suspicious.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

RodneyDangerfieldNo%20Respect_front.JPG

You are right about that.

This year, Rivals did not have kicker Mike Benzer in their data base, which is not unusal when it comes to kickers. They added him after he gave USF a verbal and only rated him two stars at 5.1.

http://usf.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=34127

I can almost guarantee had he given a verbal to Miami (as expected), he would have been given the extra star.

Rivals acknowledges in his profile that Benzer MADE SIX field goals of 50 yards or better out of a total of 15 FG attempts. Yes, he missed four field goals for the year but TWO of those were also 50+ yards, and at least one he's credited with missing was simply the result of the holder not getting the ball at all.

When some of the kicking sites, and Max Emfinger, rank him within the Top three kickers in the country, it just makes you wonder what Rivals is thinking:

August 7, 2004 - KICKER MIKE BENZER^ (5-8, 193, 4.8 ) of Altamonte Springs Longwood Lyman, FL - Benzer has got to be one of the Top Three kickers in the country. He has just returned from a Coach Mike McCabe One On One Kicking Camp and he was one of the top kickers at the Camp. His best kickoff went 70-yards and the hang-time was an amazing 3.94 seconds. His second best was a 68-yarder with a hang-time of 3.82 seconds. He kicked a 50-yard field goal from the left hash and a 55-yard field goal from the right hash. His 60-yard field goal from the right hash was just short. He carries an excellent 3.35 GPA and he has already scored a 1220 on his SAT Test. His favorite school is the Miami Hurricanes, so do not be surprised if they sign him. DECEMBER 20 UPDATE: He gave University of South Florida University a Verbal

http://www.maxemfingerrecruiting.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=9&Itemid=2

The only think I can think of is that Rivals just couldn't stand having USF with 5 verbals ALL with three stars, as that would put us too far up their rankings.

Guest S.  Bien

You get this one.

But you certainly sucked it up on Nate Harris prediction.  Oh and btw, his grades are probably messed up and it looks like Louisville is cooling off on him.

With the lack of interest Gordon is getting my guess is that his initial SAT score was much lower than 770.  

Also what 4 star recruits do you think you're gonna get?  How many guys cancelled their visits recently?  It was 3 or 4 highly sought guys wasn't it?  

But onto the Hill situation it just comes back to what you said which is that Miami didn't have enough schollies to give so they were gonna throw that fish back.  I know you are reasonable and will accept that as anyone would.  But many of your cohorts are thinking the Miami offer is still golden which it is not.  BTW, why did Miami play this head game with Hill anyways?  Won't this crap eventually hurt them?

kf,

Hill's offer is still golden at Miami- as a WR.  He's convinced he's a QB, so is Purdue, USF, and NCST among others.  Hill could go to any school in the country if he plays DB or WR.  At QB his options are a bit more limited.  Not many schools would pass on a 6-3 200lb guy that runs a 4.4, and was the 200m champ in FL (ran the fastest 200m regardless of classification).

As for Nate Harris, funny you should bring that up because there might be some interesting news on that front for you next week.   Grades aren't an issue, where he went to HS, and his desire to still play in FL is.

You have rivals access so you know who didn't follow through on their commitment- incidently I told everyone that was going to occur as well.  However, the school said player originally committed to made a last minute push and the rest is history.  Still quite a few four star athletes planning on visiting Tampa this weekend, and the coming weekends.  We should land three, maybe four.

As for comparing Hill to Grothe, that's a diifficult task.  Carlton played at a 1A school.  Much like Ingram he was a man among boys.  He's a real athlete, real strong arm, excellent feet, great speed, decent accuracy, but he's raw.   Grothe's a real athlete too, but much more of a QB at this juncture.  He doesn't have Hill's arm strength, although at this point his arm's strong enough, he is extremely accurate, he ran a spread offense in HS, he's very smart and heady player that can scramble and make plays with his arm and legs.  Hill can do that too, but Hill has a tendency to break right away while Grothe has this innate ability to keep his focus down field (hard to teach a QB that trick), and make plays throwing it while he's scrambling.  Again, Grothe's more accurate, he's got a nice touch, great vision, and a real leader.  We'll see what wins out when they both get on campus, the heady QB with a great QB head on his shoulders, or the raw athlete with amazing upside.  Honestly, my bet is with Grothe.  The kid reminds me of Tate at Iowa, or Lafor at UL.

The thing that irked me about Andre Hall was not only was he the #1 RB, but he was voted the #5 player in entire JC when he was a five star.   Then, a week before signing day he drops to #10, and lost his star.  Of the top 10 non-HS athletes coming out last year, he was the only one that didn't have a five star rating.  However, the joke's on rivals because clearly Andre was a legit five star, a very special player that doesn't come through a school like USF often.

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

i truly believe, and its not too hard to see, that the only way to "do good" in Rivals rankings is to have a large enough subscirber pool...  I have a feeling that if you actually went through and looked at them all, the teams with mysteriously high rankings have large subsciber bases and well USF's subscirber base is probably one of the smallest on the network

Well then, if Rival’s star system lacks credibility then were is a good source to get relative rankings among recruits.  Anybody want to pitch what they regard is a fair, honest and unbiased rating system/site?