• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Derrick Thorpe- DL- Fletcher HS, Neptune Beach,FL

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Derrick is being recruited as a DL for USF. He is considering offers from USF, Arkansas and possibly Georgia Tech. He is waiting for an offer from UF who also camped him as a DL.

ESPN- 2 Stars OT #122

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-football/recruiting/player?id=103968&_slug_=derrick-thorpe&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fcollege-football%2frecruiting%2fplayer%3fid%3d103968%26_slug_%3dderrick-thorpe

Scout- 2 Stars OL NR

http://hsflorida.scout.com/a.z?s=376&p=8&c=1&nid=4244502

Rivals- 3 star OT #68

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Derrick-Thorpe-105545

Recruiting Journal: Andrew Buie, Tony Steward and Derrick Thorpe are starting to pick leaders

Posted: June 29, 2010 - 10:11pm

Derrick Thorpe, Fletcher

Position: Offensive/defensive lineman.

Size: 6-4, 265 pounds.

Accolades: State's No. 93 overall recruit and a three-star prospect, according to Rivals.com.

Notable offers: Georgia Tech, Arkansas, South Florida, Clemson and Missouri.

In his words: There's no way I could sign with a school if I had to right now. I'm way far out from making a final decision. I still think I probably won't set up my five official visits until after football season. It's not a definite, but I think I'll make a final decision around signing day.

I'm going to Georgia Tech's camp this month and I'm going to try to visit Clemson and maybe Arkansas. I like the Arkansas assistant coach that is recruiting me a lot.

Recently, I camped at Florida. I felt I did pretty good there. I like their coaching staff. I worked out mostly at defensive end in drills, but also did some pass-protect drills on offense. I'm still hoping to get an offer from the Gators. I'm going to their Friday Night Lights camp in late July and hopefully I'll get an offer.

I haven't talked to Georgia Tech much lately. They're recruiting me as an offensive lineman. Arkansas is trying really hard. They like me on offense, too. USF is trying to get in there and they want me for defense.

One factor is my teammate [running back] Mitchell Hester. We'd like to go to the same school and we are being recruited by almost exactly the same schools. I wouldn't eliminate a school if they offered me and not him. It's just a plus if we could be in the same recruiting class

http://jacksonville.com/sports/high-schools/2010-06-29/story/high-school-recruiting-journal-buie-steward-and-thorpe-are

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

He's being recruited at OL.

As a matter of fact the article above quotes him specifically saying that USF "wants me for defense". It also what he was worked out for at the Florida camp he attended. He currently plays both sides of the ball.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

There are direct quotes from him that are out there where he says he's being recruited as an OL and he talks with coach Shank the most out of all the coaches......

There are direct quotes from him that are out there where he says he's being recruited as an OL and he talks with coach Shank the most out of all the coaches......

I wanted to subscribe to that Out There service, but I couldn't find the Out There web site. Could you please provide a link?  >:D

I wanted to subscribe to that Out There service, but I couldn't find the Out There web site. Could you please provide a link?  >:D

http://southflorida.scout.com/

Direct quotes in the story from him about his recruitment and unofficial visit. 

http://southflorida.scout.com/

So are you quoting "Premium" content, because nothing I could see said anything about your "direct quotes" ? If you are please don't tell me about those quotes, that always seems to start a firestorm. Not that I would put a lot of faith in those reports as a rule anyway.

Direct quotes in the story from him about his recruitment and unofficial visit. 

So are you quoting "Premium" content, because nothing I could see said anything about your "direct quotes" ? If you are please don't tell me about those quotes, that always seems to start a firestorm. Not that I would put a lot of faith in those reports as a rule anyway.

::)

• 2 weeks later...

An update from Derrick, he's quit talking about Florida and now says that everyone is recruiting him as an OL.

Recruiting Journal: Prospects Andrew Buie, Tony Steward and Derrick Thorpe trim their school lists

Posted: October 28, 2010 - 12:00am

DERRICK THORPE, Fletcher

Position: Offensive tackle.

Size: 6-5, 270 pounds.

Accolades: State's No. 93 overall recruit and a three-star prospect, according to Rivals.com.

In the hunt: Arkansas, South Florida and Georgia Tech.

In his words: I definitely have a top three right now. I'm still planning on taking five official visits after the season, but I don't know where the other two will be. Each of the three is recruiting me to play offensive tackle.

I'm really not playing defense anymore for our team. I like the coaching staffs at each school. I love Georgia Tech's staff. It's also not too far from home. Arkansas is the farthest, but that doesn't really factor in. They've got great coaches. South Florida is close to home and I've never gotten a bad vibe from them.

Archived