• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Trib: Marshall gains momentum for Bulls

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,277
  • Days Won:  0

Marshall gains momentum for Bulls

By ADAM ADKINS | The Tampa Tribune

David Bedford has kept a watchful eye on Craig Marshall since the two entered the University of South Florida football program together as junior-college transfers in 2008.

One thing has been ever-present in Marshall, Bedford said, from the time the defensive ends were stuck battling for playing time as reserves to now, when they start opposite each other on the edge of the Bulls' defensive line.

"He's always been that guy who always seems to be making a play, whether he's batting a ball down or getting a sack," Bedford said of Marshall. "This is a guy that just always seems to be around the ball for some reason."

That was especially the case in USF's last game, when Marshall delivered a career-best performance in a 13-9 loss to Syracuse. The 6-foot-5, 260-pound senior led the way with eight tackles and three sacks. Both numbers were personal bests, while his sack total was one shy of matching the single-game program record and was the most for a Bulls player in a Big East Conference game.

Marshall, who enters Thursday's nationally-televised game at No. 25 West Virginia with a team-high four sacks and 22 tackles, called it "probably one of the best games I've had since I've been at USF."

Bulls defensive ends coach Vernon Hargreaves agreed, based on sheer production, but he added that Marshall has played at a high level the majority of the season, even if it hasn't been reflected as much on the final stat sheet.

"But he can play better, too, believe it or not," Hargreaves said.

There is little debate when Marshall, who spent his first two collegiate seasons at Pearl River Community College in Mississippi (redshirting his first one), is at his best. When he's able to pin his ears back and go after the passer he can be a dominant force coming off the edge.

"And I've got to get him to do that every now and then," Hargreaves said. "He'll, from time to time, kind of come off and try to peek around and see what's going on instead of just going.

"On the first sack (against Syracuse) he just ran off the ball and the guy couldn't lay a glove on him, and that's what he needs to be doing all the time."

What Marshall has done, with the help of Bedford, is allowed USF coach Skip Holtz not to dwell much on what the Bulls lost at defensive end from last season â Jason Pierre-Paul and George Selvie, both now playing in the NFL.

"It's been very rewarding to watch David Bedford and Craig Marshall step into the role they're stepping into," Holtz said. "It's two seniors that are playing extremely well. Both of them are doing so many good things, along with Patrick Hampton, who is kind of becoming that third wheel and giving those guys an opportunity to take a little bit more of a breather, which is making them better when they play.

"It's nice to have two defensive ends like that to anchor a defense on the edges."

The key for Marshall is to make sure and build off his most recent performance and not take a step back.

"You just want to keep the momentum going," Marshall said. "You just want to try and carry it over week to week and keep producing at the same level."

Adam Adkins(813) 259-7616

Link

• Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

we need another great performance

big stage

• Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

Dude was always a beast stuck behind some DEs perceived as better. Not sure how Buie possibly started over him and even though Selvie is doing well in the NFL he wasn't great for us last year...Marshall has probably been the 2nd best DE on our team the last 2 years and has turned into a legit top DE. I think we'll see him on Sundays.

Archived