• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Trib: Bedford emerges as impact player for USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,277
  • Days Won:  0

Bedford emerges as impact player for USF

By ADAM ADKINS

aadkins@tampatrib.com

David Bedford has never craved the spotlight, and, truth be told, it's never beamed close to his direction during his time with the University of South Florida football team.

Until now.

The senior defensive end recently has drawn rave reviews from the coaching staff, which has been impressed with his play during the first few weeks of the season. Through USF's first two games, Bedford is third on the team with eight tackles, tops among linemen, leads the team with two tackles for loss and also has an interception.

Being thrust to the forefront of the conversation regarding impact players may be something new for Bedford, but it's a situation he seems to be taking in stride.

"David is a really humble kid," said USF assistant Kevin Patrick, who now coaches defensive tackles but spent the previous two seasons mentoring Bedford as his position coach. "It hasn't blossomed in his head that, 'Hey, I have arrived.' He told me the other day, 'Coach, I've got work to do.'"

Putting in the work is nothing new to the 6-foot-4, 247-pound lineman. Growing up in a household with five siblings, Bedford became accustomed at an early age to pulling his weight on a daily basis. As the youngest in that group, oftentimes he found his workload a bit heavier, thanks mostly to his three older brothers.

"They gave it to me a little bit," Bedford said. "I definitely did some of their chores and things like that."

There was an even tradeoff. It was Bedford's brothers who collectively took him under their wing when it came to football. And that, Bedford believes, was what helped put him in a position to thrive, which he seems to be doing in his first season as a starter with the Bulls.

"David Bedford's playing lights out right now," USF defensive coordinator Mark Snyder said. "He has all the physical statures that you would have to have to be a great player, and right now he is practicing like a champion and it's carrying right over to his play on the field."

Bedford's emergence not only has been welcomed, but also of particular importance to the Bulls defense. After losing both bookends from last season's defensive line, two-time All-American George Selvie and first-round NFL draft pick Jason Pierre-Paul, USF needed to find capable replacements to provide pressure off the edge.

In Bedford, Patrick always knew there was that capability. After all, the Palm Beach Lakes High product came to USF in 2008 following a breakout season at Independence Community College in Kansas, where he set a school record with 131/2 sacks. Like most new players in a major college program, however, Bedford struggled a bit adapting to the game in his first season with the Bulls.

"It was a huge transition," Bedford said. "I didn't think it would be that big. I still remember my first practice, and I'll never forget how tired I was. It was just in helmets, but it felt like a two-hour, full-pad practice. It was definitely different."

Steady progression was always there, and that was a key. He eventually made his first career start - and notched his first career sack - last season against Western Kentucky, which USF hosts Saturday at Raymond James Stadium. And midway through 2009 when Bedford was pressed into duty against West Virginia, Patrick saw a new player emerge.

"That's really the game where he really started turning the corner," Patrick said.

Bedford is far from hitting the home stretch, though, certainly a fact not lost on him.

"The thing in this business is you've got to be consistent, and David will be the first one to tell you he knows that," Patrick said. "He's seen it. He's seen guys who've had great games and then picked it up, and he's seen guys who've had great games and then dropped off. He's knows exactly the direction he needs to continue to go from this point on."

Snyder talked this week about how the coaches challenge the seniors to turn in career-best years in their final collegiate seasons. It's a challenge Bedford appears to have taken to heart.

"I'm trying to go out being remembered in some way," Bedford said.

Link

• Content Count:  742

David is an unenviable position of having large shoes to fill but he seems to breaking out. I remember that Memphis game and he played huge that game. He can make some noise this year, maybe get on the All Big East Team.

Jay

• Content Count:  4,642

hopefully he can get even better and open up some more 1-on-1's for the other guys on the line.

Archived