• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

we have built...will grote come

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  919
  • Days Won:  0

Thanks, Bien, for the insight on Grothe.  

I agree that PJ will be the starter next fall.  I hope one of 2 things happens - one, he develops considerably over the offseason and remains the starter until he graduates (I too, see his potential), or two, Denson has enough athletic ability to make plays and takes over as the starter by midseason (my prediction).

I'd love to have the luxury for Grothe to get stronger and develop for a couple of years before taking over the helm.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

Basically, Grothe will probably redshirt because PJ's going to stay the QB unless something freakish happens and Denson suddenly learns to execute an offense.  

That made me cry :(

NAM37

If PJ starts in ’05 and plays most of the season like he did this past season then the results will be similar.  I say 3-8 in ’05 with PJ at the helm.  I predicted 3-8 for ’04 and I was 1 off.  Why?  He’s horribly inconsistent.  One pretty pass every 2 or 3 games just is not gonna do it.  3-8 on ’05 with PJ at QB.

Others on the board have given other reasons such as lack of field vision, etc. etc.  Banks only got worse year after year, could PJ take the same route?

If Denson does not come out and impress in the spring and win the starter job, then I think this program is in big, big trouble until Grothe is ready.  Just my 2 cents.

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

I agree with your 2 cents guest. If PJ is the best we can do right now, we're in some serious trouble next season. I'm sure Grothe can learn enough of the offense to hand off to Hall 35 times a game and use play action to hit Peyton and others down field. That is my two cents. I would rather let Grothe learn the school of hard knocks now then let PJ back at the helm for next year. I've seen enough PJ in two seasons to have zero faith in his abilities.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  687

Guest and Sheriff are on the right track.  PJ has shown what he can do for 2 years.  He's great at handing off and being very inconsistent at throwing.  Those are attributes that won't win many games next year.  Unless something magical happens in PJs game before next year I sure hope someone else is at QB.  If PJ starts and is awesome I will be the first one to stand up and say that I was wrong, but from what I've seen I doubt I will have to do that.  

I've watched film of Grothe both the game against Armwood and some tape on Rivals.com. I'm no scout or talent evaluator, but here is my honest opinion of him.  He seems to be very good at throws 25 and under but needs to gain some arm strength.  Excellent at escaping the rush and seemed to have a knack for making plays.  What impressed me most were his throws on the run which were excellent.  If he is given the playbook as soon as he signs and works hard over summer I could see him taking over the QB job.

As for the other QB we are recruiting, Carlton Hill, I have watched his tape also.  On tape, havent seen either in person, Grothe looked like a better QB at this time.  In Hill's defense His O-line was horrible from the tape I looked at.  However, Hill's spiral was very loose and his touch seemed to be lacking.  His arm strength was very good and as advertised he is one hell of an athlete when on the run.  

I would like to land both of these studs and let them settle on the practice field as to who is the better QB.      

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,501
  • Days Won:  43

We can blame PJ all we want, but it really comes down to the coaching staff's responsibility. I cant understand why they dont have more options at QB. What about Louis Gacheutte?? Some have said that Louis thinks he is the next Michael Vick. Is Leavitt going to give that redshirt freshman a serious look? I hope so because right now, Julmiste played even worse this season. Ditto with Banks. That is two QBs that kept getting worse under our current coaching staff. The coaching staff has to be accountable IMO.

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  1,266

I honestly believe that with how poorly PJ performed the whole year that the coaching staff was gave Gachette (sp) a hard look, he must not have the skills if we never even saw him once the entire season.  Lets hope PJ quadruples his playing ability or that Denson is some kind if freak and takes over...also i agree with Sheriff and Guest        

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

We have talent on campus, it is the coach's job to develop that talent.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  100

I won't have a problem with them losing some games next year, but if PJ is at the helm we will be getting embarassed on a weekly basis.  Sure, the defense will improve, but it won't be good enough to where we can rely on them to win games.  It is the QB's job to win the games.  It really sucks, but one player will make the difference between 2-9 (0-7)  and 8-3 (5-2).

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  382

This isn't an either-or choice. Denson is two years older than Grothe. Grothe will probably redshirt in 2005, which means that in 2006 he will be a redshirt freshman. Denson will be a redshirt junior in 2006. Grothe can succeed Denson.

Denson will be a junior in 2005 correct?  Making him a senior in 2006?  Denson didn't redshirt, he sat out one year and lost one year of eligibility.  Is he going to redshirt in the future?  Someone help me- I'm confused  :-/