• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

TCU and Houston rejected by B12, should we invite them to the Big East?

Guest nybullsfan

Who should the Big East invite?  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,757
  • Days Won:  0

I'd take both in a heartbeat.  The Big East already has a strong presence in the NE.  Adding in two teams from Texas, the state with the second largest population, would expand the footprint.  TCU is a good school that would put the Big East in the Dallas/Fort Worth market, the fourth largest market in the US.  Houston is part of the sixth largest market in the US.  Rutgers and UConn put the BE in the largest market in the US.  Tampa Bay is 19th.  Rutgers also puts us in Philly, the fifth largest market.

I'd add TCU and Houston in a heartbeat. 

now you can start your own TV network (large tv markets)...and start paying out more $$$$, even more than the ACC.

then add Maryland and BC get to 12 and have a championship game after leaving the Bball and ND behind

While Maryland would be a good fit, I have to say screw BC.  They wanted out of this conference, leave em.  Let's invite Georgia Tech.  Atlanta is a much better TV market target than Baaahstan.  The Yankees like their pro ball more than college     

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,204

now you can start your own TV network (large tv markets)...and start paying out more $$$$, even more than the ACC. then add Maryland and BC get to 12 and have a championship game after leaving the Bball and ND behind

BC would bring in the 10th largest market and lock up New England.  Maryland would bring in Baltimore, 20th largest, and, more importantly, DC, the 9th largest. 

If you create a league like that then you seek to increase viewership through marketing and through improvements in all the programs in the league.  With USF, you'd want a program that will expand its popularity inside of Florida (no small task).  Rutgers, if they continue winning, will continue to expand its presence in Philly and NYC.  UConn will also have some pull in NYC, as will Syracuse. 

If a football league did split off then Notre Dame would be hosed because they don't want to be in that conference.  As has been pointed out before, ND may want to stay independent for football, but they want all their other sports to be in a good conference.  I don't think the Big Ten will be as inclined to just welcome them into their fold right now.  They have their 12th team.  They've been after Notre Dame for about 20 years and only gotten the cold shoulder.  A split of the BE might leave ND in the cold.

• Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

A split of the BE might leave ND in the cold.

Highly unlikely.  The BE has bent over backwards in the past to keep ND involved with the conference, and will continue to do so in the future.  Why?  Because they don't want to close the door on the potential to get ND fully into the conference.  That potential has never been more than marginal, but its mere existence through maintaining independent football status will continue to drive the BE to give them special status.

I'd take both in a heartbeat.  The Big East already has a strong presence in the NE.  Adding in two teams from Texas, the state with the second largest population, would expand the footprint.  TCU is a good school that would put the Big East in the Dallas/Fort Worth market, the fourth largest market in the US.  Houston is part of the sixth largest market in the US.  Rutgers and UConn put the BE in the largest market in the US.  Tampa Bay is 19th.  Rutgers also puts us in Philly, the fifth largest market.

I'd add TCU and Houston in a heartbeat. 

now you can start your own TV network (large tv markets)...and start paying out more $$$$, even more than the ACC. then add Maryland and BC get to 12 and have a championship game after leaving the Bball and ND behind

No offense guys, but if anyone out there really thinks that TCU delivers Dallas, Houston delivers Houston, and Rutgers delivers Philly for BE TV, then I'd appreciate them sharing whatever it is they're smoking.  Although TCU and Houston are located in the Dallas and Houston MSAs, those areas are still heavily populated by Texas and Texas A&M fan bases.  Philly is heavily populated by Penn State fans.

Yes, people in those markets would watch games those teams played.  However, the percentage of the market that would do so is not that material.

• Content Count:  143

Kinda like saying USF owns the Tampa market.

I don't think advertizing works that way, but I get your point.  TV afflilates recognize the amount of heads, households if you will, not so much if theirdemographic is that they are a Gator or Bull fan.  It's based on the number of people watching television, not on if they are Gator fans.  An NBC or CBS affiliate likely would rather sell commercial space to football fans period, instead of selling 30 second ad space for 5 dollars a spot.  Alabama football ad time can fun over $1,000 a 30 second spot.

I disagree.  They don't just look at the number of households in the market, or number of football fans in a market, they would look at the market share ratings for previously televised events to understand what percentage of the market pays attention to the team.  There's a major slice and dice operation to network television to understand the demographics in order to maximize the delivery of advertising (i.e. maximize the revenue).  Ad space for certain games will differ depending on what teams are playing, even if it scheduled at the same time, same channel, on consecutive weeks.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

We should add TCU, Houston, and Memphis.

not unless they bring in millions to each school

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Highly unlikely.  The BE has bent over backwards in the past to keep ND involved with the conference, and will continue to do so in the future.  Why?  Because they don't want to close the door on the potential to get ND fully into the conference.  That potential has never been more than marginal, but its mere existence through maintaining independent football status will continue to drive the BE to give them special status.

nd has been usin big east like a cheap whore

\nd will never join big east  an big east looks weak allowin nd to use them

• Content Count:  21,365
  • Days Won:  10

nd has been usin big east like a cheap *****

\nd will never join big east   an big east looks weak allowin nd to use them

Smazza you know I say that to the people in charge of this blog for letting you post and never getting any money from you.

nd has been usin big east like a cheap *****

\nd will never join big east   an big east looks weak allowin nd to use them

I don't disagree at all.

Archived