• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Report: Tallahassee safety Chris Garye commits to USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

June 16, 2010

Report: Tallahassee safety Garye commits to USF

Things are picking up in a hurry for USF's football recruiting: According to the Tallahassee Democrat, the Bulls have picked up their fourth commitment for the 2011 class -- and second this week -- from Chris Garye Jr., a safety from Tallahassee's Lincoln High School.

Garye, 6-foot-3 and 200 pounds, is a former high school teammate of USF quarterback B.J. Daniels. According to the Democrat, he chose the Bulls over offers from Illinois, Kentucky, Louisville, Vanderbilt and Iowa State. More to come ...

Posted by Greg Auman at 07:07:01 PM on June 16, 2010 in Football , Recruiting

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2010/06/report-tallahassee-safety-garye-commits-to-usf.html

Lincoln safety Garye commits to USF

By Jim Lamar • DEMOCRAT SPORTS EDITOR • June 16, 2010

One trip to the USF campus in April convinced Chris Garye Jr. that he had found the perfect place to play college football.

A few months later, Garye made it official by committing to the Bulls as part of their 2011 recruiting class.

Garye, a 6-foot-3, 200-pound safety at Lincoln High, becomes USF’s fourth public commitment. He selected USF over scholarship offers from Iowa State, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, FIU, Louisville and Illinois (among others).

“I liked the surroundings at USF,†Garye said. “When I went there for Junior Day, all the coaches there were all into the players’ academics. Every player had an Apple laptop to help them stay on top of all their school work. That impressed me.â€

Garye said he was also impressed by first-year USF coach Skip Holtz.

“He loves to be with his players,†Garye said. “That’s all he talked about when I was down there. They’ve got real good chemistry.â€

Garye joins former Lincoln teammate B.J. Daniels, who started at quarterback for the Bulls last season. Daniels and Garye were teammates in football and basketball at Lincoln.

“B.J. is a big reason why I picked USF,†Garye said.

Lincoln coach Yusuf Shakir said Garye is a “great fit†for the USF program.

“The coaches there, especially Rick Smith — their defensive backs coach — love big safeties,†Shakir said. “It’s a great up-and-coming program that really develops their players. Coach Holtz has been known for developing kids. I’m happy for Chris.â€

Smith, by the way, is a 1965 Rickards graduate who played baseball at Florida State. He also coached football at Godby, Wakulla and Marianna before taking a job at Georgia Tech in 1982.

http://www.tallahassee.com/article/20100616/SPORTS01/100616028/Lincoln-safety-Garye-commits-to-USF

Former teammate of USF QB B.J. Daniels commits to Bulls

Posted June 16, 2010 by Scott Carter

Updated Jun 16, 2010 at 06:57 PM

...Garye, who also competed in track this past season for the Trojans, said he plans to take his official visit to USF following his senior season at Lincoln. He said he still expects to hear from other college coaches despite his commitment.

“I’ll be straight up with them and tell them I’m going to USF,†he said.

http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/comments/former-teammate-of-usf-qb-b.j.-daniels-commits-to-bulls/

• Content Count:  21,310
  • Days Won:  10

Now that is what I am talking about.  I bet he will have a big season this fall and be ready to come to USF.

• Content Count:  1,757
  • Days Won:  0

If he is already 6'3" 200lbs, he is going to be a beast

June 16, 2010

Lincoln pipeline brings safety Garye to USF

First there was Ryan Gilliam and Keeley Dorsey, who paved the way for B.J. Daniels to come to USF, and the pipeline from Tallahassee Lincoln High to USF will continue in 2011 when safety Chris Garye Jr. joins the Bulls.

The 6-foot-3, 205-pound rising senior committed to USF coach Skip Holtz on Wednesday -- while he's just the fourth commitment toward the Bulls' next recruiting class, he didn't miss out on the last spot for an incoming safety.

"They said USF was only taking two safeties in this class, and one had committed already," said Garye, who said he had a strong list of offers, including Clemson, Mississippi, Iowa, Kentucky, Illinois and Vanderbilt.

Garye attended USF's Junior Day event in April and came away impressed by the close relationships that USF coaches had with their players.

"All the coaches stay on top of their athlete's academics. I like when a coach cares about his players like that," said Garye (pronounced "Gary").

Garye was a freshman receiver when Daniels was a senior at Lincoln, and he said he followed USF more closely last fall because of Daniels.

Garye, who had three interceptions and 36 tackles last season, is a two-star recruit according to Scout.com -- Rivals.com hasn't evaluated him yet. His coach at Lincoln, Yusuf Shakir, said Garye's size jumps out right away, but his football smarts can be seen in the way he's handled other positions in previous seasons, like quarterback and receiver.

"He brings us a physical presence in the back end -- you see how big he is," said Shakir, who came to Lincoln from Gibbs High in St. Petersburg.

Garye played both safety positions as a junior (even some outside linebacker) and said he's likely a strong safety at USF. He's USF's fourth commitment for 2011 and second this week, following Stone Mountain (Ga.) Stephenson running back Willie Davis. The Bulls already have a safety committed for 2011 in Pahokee's Rontavious Atkins.

Posted by Greg Auman at 09:26:41 PM on June 16, 2010 in Football , Recruiting | Permalink | Comments (0)

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2010/06/lincoln-pipeline-brings-safety-garye-to-usf.html

• Content Count:  771

He will be a beast, add depth, and be a decent student.  I believe vandy and a couple other academic schools offered him.

• Content Count:  476

Any thoughts on why he only received two-stars?

Any thoughts on why he only received two-stars?

I think that is just preliminary ranking on Scout. They have him ranked, I think, #95 best player in Florida and that would normally be 3-stars. They recently put out the Florida 91-100 list and he's in there somewhere because they show which players are included:

SunStateFootball Top 100: 91-100 

Terrell Floyd  By Geoff Vogt

SunStateFootball.com

ate: Jun 11, 2010

Spring Football is over and prospects will turn their attention to team camps, university camps, 7on7 events, and team workouts for the summer. SunStateFootball.com breaks down the top 100 prospects in the state continuing with 91-100.

WR Devin Clarke (profile)

QB Matt Floyd (profile)

CB Terrell Floyd (profile)

S Larry Franklin (profile)

S Chris Garye (profile)

S Chris Johnson (profile)

FB Hunter Joyer (profile)

WR Jacques Mackeroy (profile)

TE Robert Way (profile)

WR Craig Wilkins (profile

http://hsflorida.scout.com/a.z?s=376&p=2&c=976584&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fhsflorida.scout.com%2f2%2f976584.html

Archived