• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

holtz needs to recruit a top 25 qb if usf is

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  66,074
  • Days Won:  172

to take their place with the elite programs

• Content Count:  1,251
  • Days Won:  0

i agree....i want to get a big name QB....like top 20 in country....that would be exciting

• Content Count:  143

Ever heard of Matt Grothe?  Wasn't he an elite QB?  To win we need good players yes, but we lost mostly due to focus and composure issues, not talent only.  Holtz is gonna get us bigger and more disciplined. That's a guarantee.

• Content Count:  100

Ever heard of Matt Grothe?  Wasn't he an elite QB?

Absolutely not. He made lots of great plays and was probably the best offensive player USF has had, but he made WAY too many dumb plays to be called "elite." WAY too many.

• Content Count:  771

Absolutely not. He made lots of great plays and was probably the best offensive player USF has had, but he made WAY too many dumb plays to be called "elite." WAY too many.

You think coaching and game planning had anything to do with that?? 

Do I think coaching and game planning can explain away all of Grothe's bad decisions that resulted in interceptions? No. Unless it also explains all the good decisions he ever made, as well as those by quarterbacks who truly are "elite."

Anyway, I'm not going to slag on him anymore than this. I love Matt Grothe and he was great for USF. I'm only saying the word "elite" does not apply to him.

• Content Count:  771

Do I think coaching and game planning can explain away all of Grothe's bad decisions that resulted in interceptions? No. Unless it also explains all the good decisions he ever made, as well as those by quarterbacks who truly are "elite."

Anyway, I'm not going to slag on him anymore than this. I love Matt Grothe and he was great for USF. I'm only saying the word "elite" does not apply to him.

I agree.  BJ has a chance to be an elite QB though.  Barring injury I can see him in the heisman hunt his jr or senior year.

A Heisman candidate and BE leader in total offense is not an elite QB?  Pat White was an elite QB.  Grothe did all he did in THREE years man.  Dumping on a guy who runs the coaches plays from an inept offensive scheme such as Gregory's and Leavitts inability to control his club emotionally was absolute brilliance.  You think Jimmy Claussen was better and could have duplicated Matt?  Just who in this offense besides Pat White could have POTENTIALLY run a better offense?  Reisling?  Too frail.

He was an elite QB.  Period.  Did he have an NFL arm?  No.  He wasn't told to be a pocket QB to run the spread.  He won basically with no ELITE WR's and NO LINE.  If Matts runs the show last year Leavitt may even still have a job, with a few more wins.  Grothe WAS USF football.

A Heisman candidate and BE leader in total offense is not an elite QB?

There was exactly one week in Matt Grothe's career in which non-USF fans ever mentioned him in the same sentence as the word "Heisman." And even that one week saw like two national writers mention it. Matt Grothe was not a Heisman Trophy candidate. Get real man.

Elite quarterbacks don't throw 14 interceptions every year. Elite quarterbacks don't have an INT/TD ratio of 1/1. He was very, very good for USF. That's all. His wide receivers didn't make him repeatedly throw interceptions across his body into double- or triple-coverage. I get that the rest of the offense wasn't great, but that doesn't make Grothe himself great.

You need to get real man.  Elite QB's who run the spread they way Grothe did with no RUNNING BACKS, NO OFFENSIVE LINE AND NO WIDE OUTS of any real stardom and he is the BE leader in TOTAL OFFENSE in THREE YEARS, not four.  Again, besides Teebow maybe, who was better?  Waiting?  You totally avoided the last post, so I suppose you can't tell us a name.  Marve?  He fits your elite standards, doesn't he?  Yeah.  That'd work.

Mensas.  Please put names to substantiate your claim(s).  Saying Grothe is good but not elite, but not having an answer to address the subject is rather weak.  For Ex:  Ely?  Never lost a game in HS.  He's better than Matt right?  Who is the elite QB USF can land that's a "can't miss".  Isn't that the question the author is really asking?

Archived