• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Has Mike Hobbie been fired yet?

Guest If_Not_Why_Not

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517
  • Days Won:  0

It is hard to pick up sarcasm when it is written on a message board, so i'm hoping that you were being sarcastic here.

Andre Hall is the one who made our offense look good, that is the few times it did look good.  No Andre Hall then we lose to UAB and TCU at the very least, and possibly East Carolina.  

And Andre Halls success this year had nothing to do with the coaching, he is just talented, so you cannot give any credit to the coaching staff for that other than the fact they were able to convince him to come here in the first place.

So Andre playing good had nothing to with the coaching but PJ playing bad everything to do with the coaching ........... Got it.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267

So Andre playing good had nothing to with the coaching but PJ playing bad everything to do with the coaching ........... Got it.

So you honestly believe that a coaching staff that couldnt even win 4 games this season, which included a loss to Army no less, turned a JUCO prospect into an all conference running back in just a couple of months?

GOT IT

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

So you honestly believe that a coaching staff that couldnt even win 4 games this season, which included a loss to Army no less, turned a JUCO prospect into an all conference running back in just a couple of months?

GOT IT

That wasn't my point .... but I think you know that.

Guest S.  Bien

It is hard to pick up sarcasm when it is written on a message board, so i'm hoping that you were being sarcastic here.

Andre Hall is the one who made our offense look good, that is the few times it did look good.  No Andre Hall then we lose to UAB and TCU at the very least, and possibly East Carolina.  

And Andre Halls success this year had nothing to do with the coaching, he is just talented, so you cannot give any credit to the coaching staff for that other than the fact they were able to convince him to come here in the first place.

Did Andre Hall call those hand-off plays?  Did Andre Hall make the coaches adapt the offense, and gear it around him (well partially yes)?  Did Andre Hall force Hobbie to create that new trap play that helped spring Hall for many big gains?  

No, Hall didn't do it by himself, and the coaches deserve credit for recognizing his talent, and adapting the offense, play calling around him, as well as creating new wrinkles that helped Hall shine.  That's Hobbie's contribution, to demean it is demeaning the effort of the entire team, and staff.  I've seen greater talents wallow in an offense not equiped or conducive to their skills.  A good coordinator recognizes talented players, and an offense's strengths and weaknesses and adapts accordingly.  Hobbie did that this year.  Everyone can question a play call or two regardless of the team, or opponent, but this year Hobbie did an excellent job with X's and O's, and play calling.  I will say, however, that Franks probably had a lot to do with the adaptation, but until we know how much its difficult to completely criticize Hobbie.

Guest S.  Bien

RB is a completely different animal from QB.  With a talented RB like Hall a staff needs to recognize the talent, gear the play calling around him, and adapt the offense.  With a QB, it takes time for him to learn the system, learn what defenses are giving him, to learn how to read and react.  Timing is of the essence for a QB, and it takes time for a QB.  In today's complex offensive schemes its difficult to find a QB you can just hand the ball to, and watch him make plays.  Most QB's take years to develop proper vision, a proper acumen at reading defenses and having the proper instincts to react appropriately, to adjust to the speed of the new game, and so on.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  80

Early in the season, I thought Hobbie was doing a poor job of adapting the offense to the talent we had.  After the Southern Miss game, I thought he dida good job changing the offense.  

By the late part of the season, we only had about 3 or 4 plays a game that were really questionable.  So I feel like he's earned another year.

Now, Rod Smith is listed as the QB coach and Pass Game Coordinator.  Frankly our QB development has not been good.  Our passing game is really bad.  A good portion of our pass game consists of 3-4 receivers running either stop routes, or going deep.  We rarely, for example,  hit receivers in stride crossing the field.  

I don't know for sure, but would think our yards after catch is pretty low.  You can say that's the QB, the receivers or whatever.  Either way it comes back to coach Smith.  I would like to see us with a new QB coach next year.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  206

RB is a completely different animal from QB.  With a talented RB like Hall a staff needs to recognize the talent, gear the play calling around him, and adapt the offense.  With a QB, it takes time for him to learn the system, learn what defenses are giving him, to learn how to read and react.  Timing is of the essence for a QB, and it takes time for a QB.  In today's complex offensive schemes its difficult to find a QB you can just hand the ball to, and watch him make plays.  Most QB's take years to develop proper vision, a proper acumen at reading defenses and having the proper instincts to react appropriately, to adjust to the speed of the new game, and so on.

Bien,.............really! c'mon! Complex Offense you are a beeter analyst than that.  We didn't even start using Andre effecetively until the 4th or 5th game. Then he'd run for 85 to 100 yards in the first half and then get the ball 5-6 times in the second half. Every run can't be 25+ yards but keep giving him the rock.  So you won't win that arguement with me.  Also calling hand offs???? you can't give a coach credit for that its part of their normal duties.  A good OC goes above and beyond and Hobbie simply doesn't.

You have swayed me to believe that Rod S should also go as he has worked with PJ and his mechanics and poise are still spotty and that's a Qb coaches job is to get the most out them and I don't think he has done that...Final question why all this loyalty MH?

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  919

Early in the season, I thought Hobbie was doing a poor job of adapting the offense to the talent we had.  After the Southern Miss game, I thought he dida good job changing the offense.  

By the late part of the season, we only had about 3 or 4 plays a game that were really questionable.  So I feel like he's earned another year.

Now, Rod Smith is listed as the QB coach and Pass Game Coordinator.  Frankly our QB development has not been good.  Our passing game is really bad.  A good portion of our pass game consists of 3-4 receivers running either stop routes, or going deep.  We rarely, for example,  hit receivers in stride crossing the field.  

I don't know for sure, but would think our yards after catch is pretty low.  You can say that's the QB, the receivers or whatever.  Either way it comes back to coach Smith.  I would like to see us with a new QB coach next year.

I think this post sums it up well.  I guess I could live with Hobbie getting one more year, but Smith must go.  At least wait until Signing Day to make a decision on Hobbie.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

there have been freshman qbs all over the country that have succeeded

there have been first time qb reqardless of  class that have succeeded

only talentless  qbs like pj have failed

qbs with talent simply need a  decent supporting cast and a chance to play.pj has had both.

it is time for usf to move on

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

I am tired of hearing Bien knock Smith.  You talk about our QB being inconsistent but so are you.  First you say that Smith isn't developing our QBs then you trun around and say PJ has improved alot ?  Did it all by himself ?  Then you say it takes "years" for a QB to develope but PJ got tossed in before he was ready and this is really his first full year.  You talk about mechanics but consistency really isn't the same thing.  Example:  Worst thing you could do to Brett Farve is to try to improve his "mechanics".  Alot of times you will scew up a player up more by trying to change his throwing motion.  I for one would like to see what Smith could do with some highly rated QBs.  Both PJ & Banks where not.  I would really like to hear from MB and ask him what he thought of him as a coach.  What really needs to happen is for both PJ and Denson to take a Vijay Singh approach.  Practic,Practice,practice and then practice some more.