• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Stewart Mandel 16 Expansion Scenarios

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

But I still think this is what ultimately happens:

4. Nebraska bids the Big 12 adieu.

There goes the conference. Nebraska AD/former coach Tom Obsborne has been at odds with Texas nearly since the league's inception, what with much of the conference's policies seemingly tailored to the Longhorns and their Lone Star counterparts. The Big Ten offers more money, equal revenue sharing and a fresh start. If an invite appears imminent, the Huskers head north.

A Big 12 without one of its three marquee franchises will no longer be palatable to Texas. The 'Horns will accept their invite to the Pac-10, and the other five will follow.

5. The Mountain West pounces.

9. The Big Ten goes to 16, adds Rutgers, Syracuse (and maybe Pittsburgh).

14. The SEC goes to 16, adding FSU and Miami plus Clemson and Virginia Tech.

Now the SEC -- which loves to boast about its "speed" -- would officially enter "ludicrous speed" territory. The league's members would boast more combined national championships and BCS title-game appearances than all other conferences combined. (That's an exaggeration -- I think.)

The remaining ACC teams would have no choice but to join forces with the Big East (or what's left of it) to remain a viable football conference.

This is pretty much exactly what I think will happen... with the biggest wildcard being the Pac-10/12/16.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

Clearly the Pac-10 has taken the lead on expansion.  Rather then sit back and let the Big-10 run the show on their time table the Pac-10 just said screw you Big-10 we are moving.  The result has been a huge amount of pressure on the Big 12 and a few of their schools.  It also knocked Delanney and the Big-10 out of the catbird seat. 

• Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

Now the SEC -- which loves to boast about its "speed" -- would officially enter "ludicrous speed" territory.

Oh no, the SEC is about to go plaid!

:laughingnew

SO does that mean the SEC will overshoot the BCS??

In case no one gets that reference here is a clip for you.

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

The government needs to get involved.   Somebody is not going to be happy.

:Bang

obama should get right on it

The government needs to stay the hell out of it.

just to be clear, I was being sarcastic, if that didn't come across that way  ;)

No need to be sarcastic, the remark was right on topic.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

The government needs to get involved.   Somebody is not going to be happy.

just to be clear, I was being sarcastic, if that didn't come across that way  ;)

Since USF is a public University, they are a State School, so the Government is involved. College football creates interstate trade, so the Federal Government has jurisdiction. What I think should be asked, who is the ncaa, why was it formed, why does a private intity in charge of mostly public University athletic programs?

The government needs to get involved. Somebody is not going to be happy.

just to be clear, I was being sarcastic, if that didn't come across that way ;)

Since USF is a public University, they are a State School, so the Government is involved. College football creates interstate trade, so the Federal Government has jurisdiction. What I think should be asked, who is the ncaa, why was it formed, why does a private intity in charge of mostly public University athletic programs?

The NCAA is actually mostly private - remember, there are more than 1200 members of the NCAA, and it's an association -> like the Boy Scouts or the Masons or the Chamber of Commerce. Members join and agree to follow the rules in exchange for the NCAA ensuring fairness across all members institutions.

There is also the NAIA, which is mostly smaller schools.

Some members of the media have speculated that if push comes to shove, the "BCS" programs would leave the NCAA altogether and form their own association, rather than share too much with the smaller schools.

• Content Count:  771

Will the 4 mega conferences be able to leave the ncaa and start their own thing??  I doubt legislators would allow that, because the smaller schools would be screwed.  All the mac, wac, confusa, sunbelt, and mwc would lose tons of money if the big boys left.  I highly doubt the states would allow this.

Will the 4 mega conferences be able to leave the ncaa and start their own thing??  I doubt legislators would allow that, because the smaller schools would be screwed.  All the mac, wac, confusa, sunbelt, and mwc would lose tons of money if the big boys left.  I highly doubt the states would allow this.

The states couldn't regulate it.  You're saying the Alabama Legislature would tell Bama and Auburn they couldn't leave because it affect UAB and Southern Alabama?  HA! 

Congress could regulate it, since it would be interstate trade - something Congress can regulate in the Constitution.

• Content Count:  771

The states couldn't regulate it.  You're saying the Alabama Legislature would tell Bama and Auburn they couldn't leave because it affect UAB and Southern Alabama?  HA! 

Congress could regulate it, since it would be interstate trade - something Congress can regulate in the Constitution.

The board of regents are run by the states.  They have to approve any move a school does whether it is leaving a conference, starting an athletic program, or breaking off from the ncaa.  I'm not saying congress couldn't get involved either, and probably would.

Archived