• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Expansion FAQs: Clearing the haze around conference realignment

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  560
  • Days Won:  1

In this scenario from SI, the BE could survive if only one team is taken:

Q: So what do you think will happen?

A: Just as the Big Ten's timetable has changed considerably since December (when it laid out a 12-to-18 month process that now appears to be six), so has my initial skepticism. Back then, I said of expansion: "I'll believe it when I see it," but it's become clear over the past several months in talking with parties across college sports that the Big Ten is dead serious about adding multiple teams. Consider it one last shot across the bow from perennial power broker Delany.

Still, I just can't imagine the Big Ten solely adding a bunch of middle-of-the-road programs, no matter how many cable homes they'd provide. Making such a drastic move would require some grander payoff. Surely Delany has something up his sleeve, some crown jewel in his sights that will make expansion worthwhile. If it's not Notre Dame, then I'm going to stick with my original guess from December: Nebraska. The school has never truly gotten along with the Texas contingent since the SWC-Big 8 merger and would stand to possibly double its annual TV revenue by joining the Big Ten.

Were the Big Ten to package the nationally revered Huskers with Missouri and one of the New York-area teams, it might as well start printing money. But that's just one man's guess -- the first of probably many to follow between now and July 1.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/stewart_mandel/04/20/expansion-faqs/#ixzz0lhBHm0Xk

Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

• Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

BINGO!!! Finally a reputable writer who just doesn't go mad with conjecture. Rutgers, Nebraska & Mizzou would make a lot of sense. The Big East would add someone. And the Big 12 would have to find 2 replacements. The change would be negligible.

• Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

I'd like to believe this. Somehow, I feel like other conferences might do it only just because...to keep up with the Jonses or something.

I'd almost prefer the Big Ten convince Notre Dame to join, and that may be it. Everyone else will be on their toes but nothing may happen. The Pac 10 may not expand because other than Utah and Colorado (which is a stretch), they don't have viable targets (they won't invite the Mormons).

I hope that happens, and if anything maybe the BE can just add UCF and be done with it.

If the B10 takes ND, Missouri, and Rutgers, the Big East can add Memphis and UCF. The Big 12 will take Houston. TCU will stay in the MWC and they'll get their auto-BCS bid in 2012, and C-USA will either bring in Louisiana Tech, or bring up FIU/FAU/Middle TN State to fill in it's gap. And that would be the end of it.

Archived